Old DVD player, newer receiver question

Options
Loud & Clear
Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
Have an old Sony DVP S300, which doesn't decode the DTS signal, but can the DD signal (even though it's not really decoding it, as it's sending the signal via digital out). The newer Denon 2802 receiver does decode DTS. So, if I'm running digital out of the DVD player and into the receiver, is the DVD player capable of sending the DTS signal, if not decode it? Or do BOTH components have to have an understanding of the DTS signal, and in this case my DVD player can't pick up and pass to the receiver's decoder?

I've tried with some DVD's to select DTS in in the DVD menu, then manually select DTS on the receiver, but this yields no sound whatsoever. I'm guessing that the DVD player needs a DTS pickup to pass the signal, even though it's not decoding the signal. Any knowledge is appreciated.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
DAC: Arcam irDac
Source: iMac
Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
Center: Klipsch RP-160M
Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
TV Source: DirecTV Genie
Post edited by Loud & Clear on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The DVD player must be capable of outputting the DTS signal to the amp. The two data streams are different, and some older players are not capable of sending the DTS signal to the receiver, hence, the problem you are encountering even though the DVD player is doning no decoding at all...Looks like it's time for a new DVD player...

I hope this helps, even though it may not be what you wanted to hear...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • Loud & Clear
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks, BL. Kind of figured that was what was happening and just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on something I could be enjoying.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    LC - I have seen the Sony NS-300, which I have, for $99 open box at BB...it handles DTS. I believe new it is $129.00 if not cheaper.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks, doro, although at this point I think I'll wait to find one of the newer hybrid players that play the new 'hyres' formats, too.

I guess I'll 'suffer' with 'DD' untill I score a universal player. I Just wanted to make certain that my ancient DVD player couldn't pass the signal.

Oh, and, if DTS can whip the sound of "The Fellowship of the Ring," well, I'll be shocked; that's the most impressive sound I've heard, ever! 'Resident Evil' is my second favorite offering ... to date.

Thanks again, to all who helped out,

World Peace.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    LC - That's cool man, just save up and get a pimp daddy DVD player :D

I LOVE Resident Evil, that movie is always good for another view.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    Oh, and, if DTS can whip the sound of "The Fellowship of the Ring," well, I'll be shocked; that's the most impressive sound I've heard, ever!

Based on the overall quality of your system, believe it. DON'T skimp on the DVD player, it can make a MAJOR difference in SQ and PQ.

The DTS EE version has better detail, spatial imaging, surround activity, and even improved bass.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS