20khz??

Options
wallstreet
wallstreet Posts: 1,405
edited July 2003 in Speakers
I ran some test tones through the speaks this weekend and when the CD got to 20KHZ, I couldn't hear a thing. Can anyone hear the tri-lams at 20KHZ or has is this just another sign I'm knocking on heavens door?
Post edited by wallstreet on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    or has is this just another sign I'm knocking on heavens door?

Unfortunately, it's the latter, and not the former. You will be lucky to hear 17kHz. Don't worry about it, there's not much natural signal content that high anyway.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Men over 30, not uncommon.

I'm solid to 16Khz, so-so at 18Khz, nothing much after that. The wife however, can hear ALL the way out 20Khz, no problem.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    My wife has been crossbred with a Fruit Bat, she can hear me sneaking beer outta the fridge from upstairs while eating potato chips.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    My wife has been crossbred with a Fruit Bat, she can hear me sneaking beer outta the fridge from upstairs while eating potato chips.

WTF!!!!!!!!! ROFL!!! I dunno, i found that hilarious!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What about people's experiences down to 20 Hz? My SPL meter kept reading level, same as the higher bass frequencies which I could hear, but I think around 23 hz or so I didn't hear a thing.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    What about people's experiences down to 20 Hz? My SPL meter kept reading level, same as the higher bass frequencies which I could hear, but I think around 23 hz or so I didn't hear a thing.

I can hear down to around 18 Hz then nothing but ear pressure.

If you wick up the volume, you can see the woofs moving slowly and feel the air rushing out of the vents - that's pretty cool.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You would be amazed at what I can hear after a 12 pack!!!

:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You would be amazed at what I can hear after a joint!!!

:)

Maurice
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ya... Ya... Ya... but you guys up there in Canada are allowed. I hafta settle for brewski's.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Only below 30 grams;) Anyways, I can't drink beer. It only takes about 2 beers to knock me out.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You should come up here for a visit some time Sean. Seriously, it's a nice place. You can bag some Paradigms cheap. And don't forget to visit out weed stores, THC and The Friendly Stranger which specialize in MJ products and accessories.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Here's a good read.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/media/releases/2003/2003_34bk2.htm

Not that I condone any such activity or beer drinking. ;)

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • i4gotmyid
    i4gotmyid Posts: 173
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think when my wife starts to nag it must be in the 20khz cause I never hear her tell me to take out the trash and vacuum the house
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by i4gotmyid
    I never hear her tell me to take out the trash and vacuum the house

Now I'm in trouble!!! That happens with or without the rig powered up:p

HELP:D

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i4 - That is truly funny, I will have to use that one :D

Henry - The twin is back!!!!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm going to start calling Henry 'Hawkeye'. He's GOTTA have his own distillery.

Cheers,
    Rooster (twin to the 2nd power)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    the twin is here and your gonna be sorry.... hey la..da.. .da.. mY BEER IS ON! you pick up the rest

Twin

:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm 50 yrs old and I can still hear down as low as 20Hz ...but I've found that the older I get, the more it HERTZ my ears! :p

OK....I'm sorry....that was really bad...... but I BASS that on experience :eek:

Ah, jeez! I did it again.....but no, really, it's been happening with a LOWER FREQUENCY lately!...DOH! :(

Sheesh...how LOW can a guy go anyway! Arghhh! :mad:

OK....I better quit before I get in TREBLE! :confused:

Dammit!!!!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dragon - I could hear the drum snaps on every "joke" ;)
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited July 2003
    Options
    "Dragon - I could hear the drum snaps on every "joke" "

Badda bing, badda boom!
    I don't know if that's a compliment or not :confused: But thanks!....I think :(
    No way anyone's going to beat a friggin' fruit bat though! LOL!
    Sheesh...where on earth did you dig that up?!?! A fruit bat?!?!? Like, as opposed to a vegetable bat or what? :confused:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    That's awesome man! You gotta listen to his audio system while you're under the influence. The soundstage, imaging, dynamics, etc will totally blow you away.

Are you planning on buying some Canadian amps or speakers? You'll save a lot of $ buying them here. If you're staying in Misissauga, you should be able to find plenty of high end stores all the way to downtown. My dealer is located in Misissauga and he carries Musical Fideliity(your baby:)).

Maurice
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean, chill man LOL I had no idea you liked MF that much:). I'm not sure about pricing because MF is not made here but he usually takes 20% off retail if you're paying cash and your American dollar is worth more up here too. I gave him a call once about MF amps and they had a 2ch amp for $2400CDN. Sorry, I forgot the model#. He also carries Conrad Johnson, Sunfire, Carver, Wharfdale, Monitor Audio, Energy and is an authorized LSi dealer. He has a pair of LSi15 on display. Let me know if you want the addy and the name of the owner(he gives the best prices). There is anther MF dealer downtown.

Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Bryston should be much cheaper here.

You should get the 2ch amp you really want and use a tube pre. I just received my Antique Sound Lab pre today($299USD) and have it hooked up to my NAD amp. The sound I'm getting now is f#ckin amazing. I can't wait until the unit is fully broken in. Better tubes will make things even better. I will post a review in about a week in the 2ch forum.

Maurice

*edit* Let's wait for Begbie and PJ to chime in. I'm sure they know a lot of high end dealers.
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    What's this new purchase? You have a review coming soon right?

Actually, we're not very lucky when buying American speakers and amps. My NAD stuff (I know it's British but just an example) retail for $700CDN for each unit while they retail for $500 each in the US. Only Candadian speakers and amps are much cheaper here but then again, your $ is worth more here too. The Paradigm Servo-15 sub retails for only $1980CDN, the PW-2200 retails for only $1090CDN, now add dealer discount and paying American moo la, you get the idea.

I'm about a 10 minute drive from Mississauga.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dragon - Yea I was kidding, the drum snaps would have been funny to hear each line. I don't know where I dug that one up, but it made me giggle also when I typed it :D
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean,

The MF A3.2 Integrated retails for around $1999CDN, I think the power amp is about the same.
    Ah you Canadian's, very fortunate.
    I have to agree with Maurice, everything seems so expensive. Kimber Heros cost me $200CDN and retailed for $240.
    I have learned to stay away from the women down there in Toronto
    What's up with that?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Nice to talk to, but can become rather bitchy over a period of time.

is that before or after you showed them yours...?? ;)

can't help it....:D j/k
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • organ
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That would be great Sean. We could check out some nice stores and stuff. As for the girls.....Depends on their age and location:). You can find all kinds of girls downtown.

Maurice
  • dane
    dane Posts: 15
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dragon1952
    I'm 50 yrs old and I can still hear down as low as 20Hz ...but I've found that the older I get, the more it HERTZ my ears! :p

OK....I'm sorry....that was really bad...... but I BASS that on experience :eek:

Ah, jeez! I did it again.....but no, really, it's been happening with a LOWER FREQUENCY lately!...DOH! :(

Sheesh...how LOW can a guy go anyway! Arghhh! :mad:

OK....I better quit before I get in TREBLE! :confused:

Dammit!!!!

low frew bass 20 hz and below can only be felt i think but somehow 20 hz can be heard but not oftenly on cd music and dvds