CC and the LSi

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited July 2003 in Speakers
is CC every going to get LSi speakers? or are they too high end for a store like that?

if CC had them i would definetely get myself a pair of the 15's :D i can't go anywhere else because i would need to take advantage of their upgrade policy haahaa.
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• sully5604
    sully5604 Posts: 32
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. They don't, and won't, carry the LSi's. I even asked if they would speacial order them for me. They said no. I'll keep trying...
    HT System
    Mains: RTi70 bi-wired
    Center: CSi40 bi-wired
    Surround: FXi50
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    stupid CC, the only LSi's i have heard are the 9's i think and yea they were nice....but i can't buy them from another store....unless any of you want to give me the $1000 i paid for my rti100 when i origionally bought them? :p lol
  • sully5604
    sully5604 Posts: 32
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Airplay, Let me know if that works... I've got some RTi 70's I'd sell...cheap. Shoot. I'd have to get new surrounds and a new center to boot. I guess maybe the RTi's are so bad after all.;)
    HT System
    Mains: RTi70 bi-wired
    Center: CSi40 bi-wired
    Surround: FXi50
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,091
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Circuit City does not have the proper electronics to run the LSi's. Their cheapo receivers would all crash and do in protection mode by the time they got past 50db. The LSi's require real amps. Receivers wont cut it. Another thing, they are very placement conscience, and CC demo rooms defintely dont pass that. CC, BB, any of that mess will never carry the LSi's - possibly in their dreams -

The RTxxxi, RTixxx are fine series. Some of the best if not the best speaker in CC. IMO of course all the way. I feel the only competition they have at CC is Infinity. Of course I don't like infinity so I don't believe that is even a competition. Polk makes fine speakers, and they REALLY sing with Seperates. Receivers still do not justify their Mid line. The R series, I believe they totally suck. That is clearly my opinion. The R20 sounds like a Jensen speaker with a Polk grill. I couldn't believe my ears.

The RTi70 is my favorite RTixxx Tower. The mids on it are VERY clean and accurate. Its not boomin bass, but its clean, accurate bass. Nothing a seperate subwoofer won't fix to fill in the bottum end. It is definetely an awesome speaker for the bottum dollar. if I could build the system of my choice right now it would be

*my current electronics*
    *RTi70*
    *CSi40*
    *RT55i* (Back Surrounds)
    *RT35i* (Side surrounds)
    *SVS PCi 20-45 (or w/e) For the subwoofer. That would definetely be my setup.

I have ranted about this in another thread. But I honestly believe Polk LSi should be carried by Tweeter. I believe this because 75% of the speakers in Tweeter I didn't believe slaughtered my speaker. If the LSi series is all its cracked up to be, it could have its way with alot of the speakers in Tweeter. However in Tweeter's regular demo rooms with millions of speakers, they are ran by Receivers and that just won't cut it. I believe Polk went the wrong way making the LSi series a 4 ohm load. Probally couldnt have done it any different, but it really limits where you can sell and it still sound good at the store they sell it in.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If they did, what would they power them with? :)

I certainly hope they don't, unless they can get some proper demo rooms and proper power and source components.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Since Fry's sells em, so should CC
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2003
    Options
    There is a NOW audio and video place in Greensboro with several, very nice dedicated listening music/theater rooms. I asked why they didn't carry Polk and the response was "their market is in the big chain stores. Not in ours. We carry more exclusive audio equipment like Martin Logan et cetera..." I asked if he had heard the Lsi's and he knew nothing about them. A place like that is where Polk needs to get their foot in the door.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2003
    Options
    How about I bring in *your* lsi's and school em. :D I'm still busy trying to cook up cash to revamp an old sony system...heh.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This is the part that I think Polk sales reps could do more. Why not equip a Polk mobile with the setup and go cross country, educating these stores about the value of carrying the line? Also, sign up exclusive rights with medium to large mom and pop audio, excluding the chain stores to carry them? Do what Amex used to do, aggressively go out and solicit card acceptance with small businesses, now almost everybody take amex, even at Starbuck, for a $3.60 grande mocha...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If I recall correctly when I first purchased polk speakers some five plus years ago they were in hi end audio stores. They decided to pull from those dealers and go with the big chain stores for the all mighty dollar.

There is something to be said about having the higher product line back in the hi end stores...somewhat like sony es and pioneer elite have done. But I think polk may have put a bad taste in some of the dealers mouthes by pulling the lines initially.

I could be a little off base here but I have seen the same thing in other industries. Its too bad they dont revert back I dont have any place even close to me that handles LSi to demo them.
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I am pretty frustrated with Polk and their LSi's in Washington State. I have to drive to Idaho just to see them. There is no where in Seattle or Spokane that sells them. I really don't understand on why Polk is neglecting a couple decent sized markets. I really don't get it.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    There is a place close to me, 27 miles away that carries the LSi series. Atleast thats what Polk's dealer locater says.

Liquid, they have a store in salisbury that carries them. So they are REAL close to you.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Mx,
    There is a place close to me, 27 miles away that carries the LSi series. Atleast thats what Polk's dealer locater says.

Sounds like a field trip to me. You seem to have a cool dad who is into audio. You ought to bug him to take you there one weekend for an audition. It should be about 30 minutes to get there. I'd call them first to see what they have and what they have running them.

Unfortunately, just because they are an authorized Polk LSi dealer doesn't even mean they have them in the store. Man how frustrating is that. I had to call the 3rd place relatively close to me (< 100 miles) to find one of these dealers that actually had LSi 9 setup on a Marantz receiver. This was shocking to me. Even if you find one of these landbased dealers they still don't have the LSi 15 setup anywhere near me. What gives Polk??

I'd be curious to see after you call what they have setup and what they are running them on.
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I am actually surprise that we haven't heard from Polk regarding this subject (lack of B&M carrying LSi, and the more important how to adequately demo the products) I wonder if the hope is to rely on WOM (word-of-mouth) as one of the strategy to market these fine line.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Certainly the good reviews are out there. Personally I wouldn't want to see Polk have their Lsi line in big box stores. It will go against their whole marketing strategy- keeping their reputation up with the big boys !

As far as finding a dealer who carries the Lsi's- sure you may have to drive out of your way to get a decent demo. Though if you think about it, how about a decent demo of other good brand names? Musical fidelity, Rega-planet, Tannoys, JMlab, Arcam, Classe, Kef, Monitor Audio, REL etc. etc......the list goes on.

Are these names any different in terms of marketability and getting a good demo of them ?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have local dealers within 20 minutes of me that carry the following: Wilson Audio, Martin Logan, Lexicon, Classe, Audio Refinement, Music Fidelity, JM Labs, Spendor, B&W, Krell, Paradigm, Anthem, Acoustic Zen, Nordost, Transparent, Wadia, Vandersteen, Plinus, Audio Research, Thiel, Rotel, B&K, Adcom, NHT, Cal Audio Labs, NAD, Mirage, Maggies, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Adcom, Wharfdale, Boston Acoustics, Def Technologies, PSB, that's about all worth mentioning that I can recall right now.

Even with all these choices, my selection of NAD, Rotel, and B&K is modest compared to some of this equipment. Mid-fi equipment that is NAD, Rotel, and B&K. It's just ironic that I have chosen LSi speakers with all the speaker choices I have. Some of the above speaker lines are still "over my league" in what I would want to pay in price for. I'm just an "average Joe" and the LSi fits my budget window perfectly. I have given Paradigm a chance but allthough I loved them at first, as the months past here lately my time has come to part with them for LSi 15. I am buying the LSi 15 "in the blind" based on the reviews, advice from others here, and my personal positive experience with the LSi 9 mated to a modest subwoofer (PSW 350).

"Buying in the blind" or on "word of mouth" shouldn't be happening if I have 3 authorized dealers with 1 1/2 hrs from me. My rant is why don't these dealers have some LSi's set up properly. It should be a requirement from Polk in order for these outfits to have the LSi line. Is this asking too much? Perhaps five grand to have good seperates or TOTL receiver with the LSi 7, 9, and 15s set up in a room. You would think this is possible when these other outfits have Krell and Martin Logans setup in a $15,000 + rig with Transparent wire that costs over two large as well.

Okay I'm going to stop now...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Take a deep breath PJ, maybe they will listen to us someday....but then again we are just 14,000+ members in a factory sponsored forum........ :(
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Don't worry guys, Polk is listening;) I'm sure Micah, Polk Paul or even Matt himself surf the forums once in a while. I hope they read this thread.

Maurice
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    I have local dealers within 20 minutes of me that carry the following: Wilson Audio, Martin Logan, Lexicon, Classe, Audio Refinement, Music Fidelity, JM Labs, Spendor, B&W, Krell, Paradigm, Anthem, Acoustic Zen, Nordost, Transparent, Wadia, Vandersteen, Plinus, Audio Research, Thiel, Rotel, B&K, Adcom, NHT, Cal Audio Labs, NAD, Mirage, Maggies, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Adcom, Wharfdale, Boston Acoustics, Def Technologies, PSB, that's about all worth mentioning that I can recall right now.

I HATE YOU AND YOUR SMALL DOG TOO!

just kidding. you are a lucky SOB.

The only thing i have here is mostly what CC and BB sell.. as well as K-Mart and Wal Mart.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Here's the real kick in the stones:

CC does not carry LSi, they will not order LSi, but CC employees can buy LSi from the on-line website where they order all their stuff at a huge discount.

How do I know this? One Todd Peterson (inactive Club Polk member) was a former CC employee and bought the entire LSi line-up from that website for something like 60-70% off retail.

I've seen his system, I've seen the website, I've seen the prices, and I've looked at his receipts. It's all legit. He also scored a B&K AVR507 for $1,400 on another unrelated deal. It's almost disgusting (in a good way) how he fell into this stuff.

Anyway, I've almost got a mind to work at the local CC for 6 months just to buy an entire LSi line-up for next to nothing. He bought LSi15, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7 for less than we can buy the RTi line for on sale.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm working at a CC next summer *maybe*. I'll get fired, leading Bose buyers to Polk. I believe CC may loose money, and Polk Audio may gain money. Either way - I'll still be jobless! lol!
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    We the avid, often rabid fans of Polk get a 10% discount....while a teenager(e.g.), with no thought of what is what or even care if they sell Polk that day at all, get a discount like that.....that is sickening :mad:

I would love to see some posts of anyone NOT recommending Polk speakers, well the sub issue is well known, doesn't count. But do you see us saying well....Polk is nice, but Cerwin Vega does produce more bass, and is cheaper....Bose does have a extended midrange that surpasses Polk.....NNNOOOOOO!!!!

:mad:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Work at CC for 6 months to get those discounts...I can do that! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This is the very same reason why I'm an advocate of online companies such as SVS. There is no **** and we don't have to worry about the price being slashed by 50%. It is what it is!

I hate buying vehicles for this very same reason.
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It would be nice if Polk could sell speakers to club Polk members well below retail. A special online store just for us? How about a special club Polk card that we can pop out in front of dealers for discount on Polk? LOL

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Organ - I think that is a great idea, seriously, some sort of Polk Fanatic discount card.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    cc usto carry amps and highend speakers but stoped a while back. i realey wanted the ild infinity with the long throw 6.5 in drivers

i would love to get the ls line but for ht you dont get as much as in 2 channel but i do have the amps to drice them
  • dcorrea
    dcorrea Posts: 80
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If anyone lives in the Dallas- Ft. Worth area, there is a store here called The Great Indoors that carries the LSI 15's, and my god are they a sight to behold. Pictures in magazines do not do these beauties justice.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
    Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)