Setting for movies vs. music

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
Just curious how many of you have found that you like your sub volume lower for music than for movies?

Last night I figured out that the solution to my "too much too little" bass problem was to simply set the sub at different levels, SPL measurements be damned. My receiver lets me set the sub for video (on -3) and a different setting for audio (-4 right now).

My music was being overwhelmed, but I was sticking to the level based on measurements. Now, my music is balanced and my movies rattle the house.

Don't know if the ability to set different sub levels for different sources is very common or not, but I was happy to find it on my inexpensive receiver because I needed it!

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It's almost a necessity. My sub runs about 3-4 dB hotter for movies than music - BIG difference.

My 3803 can do it (Personal Memory Plus) - it can remember the speaker levels for every single input and playback mode.

But since I use my 2900 with external outputs and bass management for ALL music, I simply set the sub level through the 2900 and accomplish the same goal that way.

I run my sub almost flat for music, and it blends so nicely you'd swear you were listening to a single full range tower. You can only tell the sub is running when there is source material below 40 Hz.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS