$12,000 speakers for <$1000

Options
scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Are these really 12K dollar speakers for less than 1000 bucks, I realize thats 1000 per speaker but dayum, looks like a deal is it to good to be true? Link

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=8753689
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Time left to Bid: 11 days 23 hours 22 minutes +
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I see that too Russ, Im gonna watch it anyway.
    What do you think of this line? Ive never listened to them.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Refurbed? I don't think soo.....

I also wouldn't consider bidding until I had pictures showing every square inch on those things for him to claim that they're that pricey......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottdawg
    ....looks like a deal is it to good to be true?
    [/url]

Bottom line... *anything* is 'worth' only what you can get someone to pay you for it.

It just kills me when infomercials throw out comments like "A $500 value for only 4 easy payments of $39.99." Well, if they could sell that **** for $500, they'd be doing it.

Sure, there are occasional gems; people aren't aware of what they've got or simply don't care to get the most money for it.

Most cliches become cliches based on some truth... there is no free lunch; you get what you pay for; buyer beware; etc.

If someone will give him a thousand bucks each for them.. then that is what they are worth. He can claim anything he wants about supposed value, but in the end it all comes down to the amount of cash flow the asset can generate on the open market.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I won't watch it, but somebody come back with it when it's done.

Realize that the bid is for 1 speaker and that when you bid , it is automatically doubled for the pair. If I understood correctly that is the case.

Refurb or not, that is definately an unmolested picture of a Monitor Audio Studio 60. Their site lists these @ >$13,000.00 for a pair (MSRP). Having a pair of bookshelfs from this company (Russman is a great seller) I can testify to their build and the fact that they are definately not "white van".

I'm guessing about $3.2K
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Gidrah, you are correct, the bid price is for one speaker and it will be doubled for the pair. Also this is not an individual selling these. Ubid has a deal with some companies to sell things that were returned for whatever reason and repaired if a repair was needed. That is how I understand ubid to work.
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited July 2003
    Options
    From Goldy Hawn for Protocall
    "if you buy a dimond ring for a dime, you have a ring that isn't worth a dime"
  • scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I dont know about Goldie and her dimonds.
    She dont know what shes talkin about i thought they were diamonds, besides shes probably got more money than me.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ubid is infinitely better than Ebay. I've bought several "factory refurbished" speakers off of UBid and they arrived completely flawless. The thing about ubid is that some items go for way more than they should, and some for way less, it usually depends on how many they have in stock. This one pair has a high bidder, but if they sold 5 pairs at a time, or even 5 pairs in seperate auctions over a two week period, the final bids would be lower.

Anyways, in terms of buying from and trusting ubid, I would definitely vote yes. I bought some JBL floorstanders from them that arrived with a rattle in one of the cabinets (most likely a brace had come loose or something) anyways, they sent me an RMA with UPS shipping labels and back to ubid they went, all my money refunded (including shipping). So, good customer service, but in the end, no speakers (it is an auction site and quantities are what they are) its a shame too, JBL ND-310's for $300 shipped is highway robbery

Also, just to note, had you the foresight to stock up on Infinity Interlude speakers while Ubid had them, you could turn a $100 profit on most speakers by just keeping them in your garage till ubid stopped carrying them and then putting them on ebay. Search ebay's listing for infinity interlude and you will see some sellers have already done this.
  • i4gotmyid
    i4gotmyid Posts: 173
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I used to buy from ubid all the time until they started their "new" shipping service and charge an arm and a leg per item. Now I dont even go there anymore. I got a teac 8500 DD DTS reciever for $119 when DTS was a new thing, and I got a Kenwood 3080 for $129, both brand new. I also got 4 klipsch quintets, but never got the center channel from them, the bids were way too high for those. But that was a long time ago. but i still look and every now and then there is a good deal, but shipping kills so be sure to add that to your price.
  • scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Now at $1010 ($2020) with 5 days to go.
  • scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    $1305 (2610) with 22 hrs. to go. I wish someone on here with some money would get these and give us a review. I know someone in this forum has enough money to bag these at a decent price.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't buy these with your money.