How much to spend on S-Video Cable?

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
Hey all,

I am sure this question has been hashed out before, so just a quick few comments would be appreciated. I am setting up the HT in my new apartment. One of my roommates has a 36" Sony Trinitron TV. My question is, is it worth buying the $20 S-Video cables from CC/BB/Parts Express, or should I just go ahead and get the cheaper AR S-Video cables I see in the Parts Express catalog. $7 for 6 ft. rather than $20. I could always just use the RCA cable too. I am going to be running most all video and audio signals into my Onkyo 600, and then want to run the video (Xbox, PS2, DVD, and Dreamcast) to the TV. What are your opinions? I really don't want to spend that much. I am not really all that picky when it comes to video quality, but if I will see improvement, I will take that as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I am going to say this, although AR isn't the top line, I scored some really cheap and they arent the bottom line but about mid grade and i like them, but going from $7 -20 you will almost always never see a big improvment in that jump, now from 20-100 yes i would hope so, if your not super critical as with me i am totally happy with the AR pro and master series i run, later i may get a higher grade Monster series but not for awhile.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rainman
    rainman Posts: 24
    edited July 2003
    Options
    hey there
    I am also using AR for my s-video signal, in fact my whole system is run by AR cables. To date I have no complaints, clear as a bell.
    I see no need for upgrades right now, and this is coming from a guy who is very critical when it comes to clear picture.
    RAINMAN

MY SYSTEM RTi 150 fronts
    CSi 40 center
    FXi 30 rears
    psw404 sub
    HARMAN KARDON AVR520
    TOSHIBA 50X72 50" WIDESCREEN