speaker placement for best bass.. how far away from wall?

so whats the deal here with the wall spacing... i remember reading something about it a long time ago, but i forget what i read. i have them place about 2 feet away from my wall right now. the reason i did this is because i wanted them to be flush with my big screen. my tv is is 26 inches deep an i think it would look silly if i recessed my speakers that much. i have the polk rti100's with the build in sub. any comments or suggestions? thanks

Chris
2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
Polk RTI 100 Fronts
Bose Surrounds
Dcm Center
Klh 10 inch Sub
kenwood VR-307 reciever
Sony progessive scan dvd play W/Componet cables
And Wire loom to make things look nice! :)
Click on links to see pics!
245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
245554_86_full.jpg
Post edited by blkmax98c on

Comments

• JohnnyCanEHdian
    JohnnyCanEHdian Posts: 15
    edited July 2003
    Not sure what exactly the best spacing from the wall would be, but i did read that the best place for your sub is in the corner of a room, although there wasn't much of a reason given.

Anyone know what the benefits of this are?
    Johnny CanEHdian

It's all fun and games until someone Polks out an ear.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Is your sub sitting in the corner, Chris?
    The trick with sub placement is to "lock" in the position in which it produces the loudest. In the corner placement, what I did (based on setup instructions provided by the manufacturer, REL) is to move the sub away from the corner incrementally until it locks. Any placement beyond the locked point will produce less sound. It varies from about 10" to 1 ft, rarely go beyond that. Of course YMMV...hope it helps
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • blkmax98c
    blkmax98c Posts: 26
    edited July 2003
    well i do not have a sub hooked up right now... the subwoofer i was refering to is the built in subwoofer. on the polk rti100 speakers they have built-in 6 1/2 powered subs. the manual did not say anything about placement for best bass. :(

but on a side note... the reason why they want you to put the sub in a corner is this: when a sub moves back and fourth it makes sound waves. if the sub is against a corner it will resonate these wave more then if it just in an open spot. hope that helps.

chris
    2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
    Polk RTI 100 Fronts
    Bose Surrounds
    Dcm Center
    Klh 10 inch Sub
    kenwood VR-307 reciever
    Sony progessive scan dvd play W/Componet cables
    And Wire loom to make things look nice! :)
    Click on links to see pics!
    245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
    245554_86_full.jpg