L7 or eclipse Ti

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Im trying to find out which would hit harder two 12 solobaric L7 or one eclipse titanium 15 both of a hifonics brutus 1500x1 mono. I found a really good deal on the net for two 12 L7 for $295. wondering if i should pass them up for the 15 eclipse titanium?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Are the L7's DVC's? If so, I'd go with them. Otherwise, it;s a tossup. The 15 incher Eclipse subs will boom but they aren't as accurate as the 12 inch Kickers. However, the L7 is the higher end model as a\opposed to the L5. 2 of them in sealed boxes will defintly shake the earth with a Hifonics Brutus behind them. Put the Kickers in a sealed box though.

If you can get a smokin' deal on the kickers then I'd go with them. The Eclipse subs are nice and flashy but I think they are a little out of the Solo-baric's league. Two different ends of the spectrum. The Solo-barics are tight and powerful. Very clean and accurate. The Eclipse subs are gonna be powerful but not very accurate. They may be a bit louder than the Solo-barics but not that much. The Kickers are also alot more efficient and 1500 watts on the Kickers will probably sound louder than 1500 watts on the Eclipse subs.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i dunno on this -- i've been soured on kicker ever since the poor showing of the kx1200.1

then the new redesigned comp vr went from a decent sounding mid grade loud but still sorta SQ sub -- to a POS thing that needs a ported box just to sound respectable.

round solo's kicked all kinds of butt, but the L7 needs a lotta juice to get it moving.

allbeit -- once its moving its really slamming, that's what has made it amaazing in the SPL scene and has resulted in great sales for kicker.

most people who use the L7, however, recognize tht its a spl geared/ ported box sub - even tho kicker markets it as SQ/small sealed box.

i wouldn't put less than 1,000 w on a single L7 12 --- preferably more if i had it at my disposal.

as far as which you should go with -- well i agree w/ john, but for difft reasons...sorta

1- i like the price

2- i think the kickers are good subs, loud subs.

3- they're clean enough for my tastes but by no means would i say they're as clean as an eclipse titanium (although their lack of clean is made up in whole by their plentiful slamm-y-ness).

4- very low breakdown rate on the L7 -- u can beat the hell outa those things.

if you cant get more power to the two L7's -- then what about a single L7 15" --- port that and put the hifonics amp on it (all 1500 w rms) and that'll damn near rattle the fillings outa your teeth.

just my opinion tho.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Options
    So one 15 L7 would hit harder than one Eclipse Ti 15? That doesn't really sound right to me. Ive heard both and eclipse is by far the harder hitting sub or is there something I dont know about the potential of an L7? Fill me in.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    Options
    well -- more like i dont know enough about the 'clipse TI.

the 15L7 will handle 1500 rms... and it will slam like a psychotic mother f***** in a vented box.

the eclipse I've only heard in SQ systems -- most people dont like to pay its price tag to use it for spl -- aluminum's and titaniums really are wonderful sounding... but i've never heard one with over a grand on it... (i only heard either the 10 or 12 ... not the 15.. and it was off a clarion 1000w amp -- and i dont think much of clarion)...

but my gut feeling is just that the L7 15 would out do the TI 15.... however i think u should talk to somebody who has actually used eclipse in their car or head it enough times to make a better judgement.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 2fast
    2fast Posts: 24
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Kicker subes are good and are the best sounding. My friend has one one the 15 inch he said that it can break you windsheld and it is the same as the 12 inch.

It a good idea to have kicker
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by 2fast
    Kicker subes are good and are the best sounding. My friend has one one the 15 inch he said that it can break you windsheld and it is the same as the 12 inch.

It a good idea to have kicker
    you have got to be kidding me?
    best sounding?
    are you for real?
    1. theyre an spl sub...not an sq
    2. theyre SQUARE
    they are loud yes...best sounding?...youve got a lot to learn...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    Options
    my bro(friends) has 2 Ti 12's on an Orion Extreme 800 and it friggen pounds149.8 to be exact. and before that my bro had 2 L7 squares on a directed 1200d to each L7 and it hit like a 144.6!!! and the Ti still sounded better(quality wise).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing