Options
brentman0110
brentman0110 Posts: 87
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Hey all. I have a setup question. I currently have the following:

Onkyo TX-SR800
RM6700
PSW 404

My question is, I would like to purchase two RTi38's for my front speakers and utilize the 2650 for the center and th 2350's for surrounds for a 7.1 setup. Any feedback is welcomed. Is this a good setup?
Otherwise, what should I set my crossover on my PSW 404 at for using the 2350's for fronts. I want to get the RTi38's because the bass with the 2350's is not that great. Help.
Post edited by brentman0110 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think its a good idea, but I recall someone mentioning that it shouldn't be done.

I will search for the thread, but something to do with how those speakers in the sub/sat setup use a specific crossover, and may be damaged by running straight from receiver.....I am unsure.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I don't understand? The center and surrounds are currently hooked straight from the receiver. If I am misunderstanding you please advise. I thank you for your help.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well if thats the case then nevermind, I am unfamiliar with that system. Just for some reason recall a post about this with a similar system.....shite, maybe not...ugh....I'll keep looking. Sorry to alarm you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No Problem. I was just about 4 drinks in and got a little scared. This system, I belive is designed to be hooked up with the fronts out of the sub and the center and surrounds leaving the receiver directly. I hope this is right. Please keep looking though. I just bought this system and I do not want to blow it up, ya know!
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If you have been running this long I am sure you are fine. LOL, yea that would alarm me also, especially with a couple brew hah's in the Buddha. :)

I have searched my arse off, I can't find it.

HEY ANYONE REMEMBER THE POST ABOUT USING SUB/SAT SPEAKERS FOR OTHER PURPOSES THAN INTENDED!!!!!?????

That's my yell out into the forum hallway......
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    OK! Do you know much about the 404 and the RTi38's? Wanna beverage?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I am certainly a fan of the RTi38, I own them :)

I have demo'd damn near everything in the RTi line when picking up stuff for my HT setup. I unfortunately or fortunately am just using the free sub I received with the other speakers.

Its an ok sub, I tweaked my little PSW202 with some big spikes and more internal filling, and it was noticeable...I am just saving for an SVS subwoofer, so in the meantime I will give this little guy a workout. :) The Polk subs are good for HT, but either way they are boomy and not very accurate.

I would love a beverage....damn I hafta go to work in a couple hours, so I will put it on ice. I am a overtime junkie :)
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    In your last post, you mentioned using these speakers other that intended. Exactly what did ya mean? How would you hook them up? I still dont think we are meeting on our questions?
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    In your last post, you mentioned using these speakers other that intended. Exactly what did ya mean? How would you hook them up? I still dont think we are meeting on our questions?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No I understand your question. I would hook them up however the manual said to hook them up. If the manual said you have the option to go either thru the subwoofer or straight from the receiver, than no problem.

Like I said, I can't dig up that thread.

If I recall, someone wanted to use speakers from a sub/sat combo to use as surround in his regular.....RTi series setup....I thought someone said that it could be done, but that the speaker is not intended for that and should be used with the subwoofer that came with it. A crossover issue? I don't remember, this was a few/couple months ago.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok Thanks. I really appreciate your help. Sorry if I have been trouble.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Nope not at all sir. :)
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'll have that drink on ice fer ya!
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Any other comments from anyone else on this subject? Has anyone ever heard of this setup before?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What they mean is ---- the Sats dont pick up what? below 100 or 120hz?

They meant for sats you should have probally ran speaker wire to the receiver, from the sub, and then from the sub ran speaker wire to the speakers. This will provide a more accurate blend, and make it easier on the speakers.

With the RT35i up front, a PSW404 will suit it fine. The mains as surround (RM), and the surrounds(RM) as surrounds, good setup. You may want to think about getting a bigger center. I am sure the surrounds will do fine. But a bigger center, I would advise.

BTW - when you buy the 404, hook it up via LFE cable. BTW - if your current setup isnt faltering with the LFE cable, then no sweat. Keep it that way!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well well. Should I just bag the rm's and get two more RTi38's for surrounds and a CSi30 for the center. Would that be better? How much sound really comes from the surrounds?
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Surrounds are not a big deal really. Not a LARGE amount of sound, but a great bit at times comes out of them.

This would be a good system ----

RTi38 or RTi28 (Mains)
    CSi30 (Center)
    Surrounds (RM)
    Rears (RTi28)

Or to keep a voice matching on the side and rears, put the RM mains and surrounds in the surround and rear duty. This will work fine.

But I would definetely get the RTi38 or RTi28 as mains and the CSi30 for a center.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I kept my RM6700's for exactly 1 month before I realized that they just weren't for my tastes. Since I bought them at CC, I used my 1 year upgrade option and brought home some RTi70's.

As for the hookup, I seriously suggest you hook up the sats the "Polk Way" which means follow the instructions provided w/ the 6700's and run the Front Left/Right speaker wire output from your receiver to the sub and then run speaker level from the sub to your sats. Set your Front's to "LARGE" and subwoofer to "NO" or "OFF" in the receiver and crank the x-over on the back of the 404 all the way up to 150Hz. If you don't like the base response, you're gonna have to get a different set of speakers. As for using the 2650 as your center with RTi38's as the Front Left/Right it will be seriously under balanced.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Yeah, that is exactly the way my fronts were hooked up. I say were because I just boxed them back up and I am gonna sell them. Not enough juice ya know! What does this setup sound like:

Fronts - RTi38
    Center - CSi30
    Surrounds - FXi50
    Rear - ??

Any thoughts?
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    the surrounds might be better as the FXi30. But the FXi50 will do the job, but may be over powering. I am just saying, all 5.25's all around in surround, and 6.5" on mains.
    sounds good --- Rears: RTi28

Another way ---

Mains: RTi38
    Cener: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi30
    Rears: RTi28, 5.25 inch woofs in surround, 6.5 in front

I seriously recomend the 2nd setup there. Your front soundstage will be awesome, and your surround section will be great.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I just read an article stating that the CSi40 is voice matched for the RTi100 and RTi70 and the CSi 30 for the RTI38's. Does voice matching matter?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The whole RTi line is voice/timbre matched to one another, those are just suggested combinations.
  • brentman0110
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Greay thanks! I just heard the CSi40 at CC. Wow!!! I am buying it tomorrow!! Thanks~
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'll trade ya my CS245i for your CSi40 ;)