Help building HT

Options
polkseeker
polkseeker Posts: 6
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Hello everyone,

I've decided to replace my HTIB to a real HT. Basically, I'm thinking about a 7.1 setup:
RTi150, CSi40, FXi30 and RTi28.
I thought Klipsch sounded okay, but since PC speakers broke every 6 months (I had two!!, replaced by the HTIB), I wont be buying their products ever again.

Anyways, I have a few questions regarding this setup. Thanks for helping guys (&girls)....

My first question is if the ONKYO tx-sr800 receiver works well in this configuration? I will also be adding a couple of clark-synthesis tranducers into the system. Otherwise, which brand would be suitable for this setup? (the Onkyo is about $800-900)

I'd like to use PSW650 subwoofer very much, but since I'm going to be moving overseas, and this model doesnt have a 220 volt version AND no POLK dealer in that country..... I'm going to have to choose another brand. (Can someone please recommend a brand?)

Final question: Can anyone recommend which brand acoustic panels to use? I cant believe how expensive these are.... a small room would need over $1500!!!

***Thanks again****
Post edited by polkseeker on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That is a fine setup.
    The onk will power all the speakers fine.
    However, the RTi150 need a real man amp behind them. Around 200-300 watts of raw power. You might want to get the RTi70 and a good subwoofer. IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah!

Check out SVS. Polk Audio subwoofers suck. www.svsubwoofers.com
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

Excellent choices indeed, I will comment based on what you have asked.

Onkyo? Yes it will run that system fine. There are other fine receivers in that price bracket, and if you are not an Onkyo nut, just go out and listen to some others. You want to try and listen to as much as you are able.

Subwoofer? Let us know your price level window, we can offer suggestions that fit that budget. Here is a link thru search, that has some information:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10340&highlight=acoustic+diy

Acoustic Panels? There are some homemade much cheaper versions available. Here is a link to a site with some information on DIY acoustic treatments:

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

Good luck, and let us know that price range.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Receivers:

Pioneer Elite
    Onkyo
    Denon
    Yamaha
    Sony ***ES***

Amps:

Adcom
    NAD
    AMC
    Rotel

Subwoofers:

HSU
    SVS
  • polkseeker
    polkseeker Posts: 6
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hello guys,

Thanks alot for the warm welcome and the feedback.

My price range for the sub would be around what a PSW650 cost--$450-$550.
    For the amps, I'm thinking about $800-$900. Obviously, I wanted a 7.1 sub.

And no, I'm not an Onkyo nut :) any brand would do fine (except klipsch!!! but they dont make receivers...). Actually, any brand that will last a long time...I've checked a HK of comparable spec, but its much more expensive than Onkyo sr800 (about $300 or 30% more)

I think I'm going to have to add an external amp for the transducers. I'm thinking of Outlaw (cheap!!). But should I use the Outlaw with the RTi150 instead, and plug the transducer to receivers' left and right front channel?

I didnt really prepare a budget for the acoustic treatment... didnt thought they'd be that expensive.

Thanks