Subwoofer Wiring Question

Options
Xikteny
Xikteny Posts: 4
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hello

I recently purchased three subs and an amp, and before I use them, I wan't to make sure I wired them correctly.
I have Attatched a diagram showing my wiring setup.
Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Xikteny on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Um, could you describe your diagram a little please. It's confusing.

And what is that little block down there on the right labled with 4 ohms?

From what it looks like though, you have 4 ohms worth of speakers, not 2 ohms. Unless that block down on the lower right is a 4 ohm resistor. But that is not labeled well.

Explain your diagram and you'll get better help.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Xikteny
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sorry about the crudity of the diagram, I can't draw very well in Paint.
    I have two 2 Ohm DVC Subs, and one 4 Ohm DVC, with the subs wired in parallel, but the actual voice coils are in series, and yes, that is a 4 Ohm resistor.
    If there's anything else that's unclear, please ask.
    Thanks!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    Options
    my unofficial comment: "dude u're on drugs..."

my official comment: u need lots of help... lets get started.

first, the way u have it wired, the 4 ohm DVC which is the 400 watt sub will get HALF the power that the 300 watt subs are getting

bad idea.

first off -- is the amp a 2 ohm stable, 1 ohm stable, or 4 ohm stable amp???????????????????????????????????

after u tell us that, then we can start to figure out how to wire this up for you...

cuz you surely would have a system that either sounded like **** or started a fire if u do it as you drew it.

and you dont use resistors in audio speaker circuits like that -- great way to start a fire or damage equipment.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Xikteny
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The amp manual says not to go below 2 Ohms, however it seemed to handle a 1.6 Ohm load just fine.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    ok 2 ohms, and how much power does it do at 2 ohms? what company makes the amp?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    see diagrams below...
  • Xikteny
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
    I'll try some of those out.
    By the way, was there a specific amp you had in mind that can run at 1000 watts at 4 ohms? And how much would such an amp cost if I were to snag one off Ebay?
    Thanks again for the help.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    well if u went with the 1 ohm mono wiring, you'll get the same power per sub as the 4 ohm bridged wiring...

as such -- the 1 ohm mono is gonna be a whole lot cheaper for 1000 watts then a 4 ohm bridgeable -- reason is... class D's are way cheaper than class AB's.

off the top of my head, the JBL BP1200.1 will do 1200 x 1 at 2 or 1 (does teh same power at both 2 ohms and 1 ohm... and is stable at 1 ohm) ... so u'd get like 600 w to the 400w sub and 300 to each of the dual 2's... or just tuen the gain back and get like 500 and 250 / 250... which is probably the safest bet...

when you set the gain -- dont pay attention to the two dual 2's... listen mainly to the dual 4 -- when that sub starts "farting" or breaking up or doing anything other than smooth bass, turn the gain back a little and set it accordingly... cuz that sub is getting pushed a ltitle beyond its means, while the other two are just under their ratings... so the dual 4 will have problems before the other 2 will.

i think the JBL BP 1200.1 will run you like 250 bucks... which is dirt **** cheap for a 1200 watt amp.

as far as 4 channels....

-Profile CA1200 900x1 at 4 ohms bridged
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034868665&category=18796
    cost you $165

there are better ones, but they're not cheap... and the only cheap one that's reliable and worth getting is profile -- or usacoustics but i dont think they make a 1000w amp.

i mean like Rockford makes a 1050 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged --- its 1000 bucks... prolly like 600 or so on ebay... way more than u wanna spend. and way more than is worth putting on subs that you got from your buddy... know what i'm sayin? if u're gonna get an amp -- get something cheap... when u build a system from teh ground up and pick everything out yourself, then u can dump your big bucks on soemthing that you intend to keep for a long time.