Tonearm Question

dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
For the antiskating on my tonearm there's 2 colors of stylus. One is solid black, the other is hollow (white). Both for eliptical (SP?) and round stylus. Which one is which? MM vs. MC?

The other thing is, my understanding is the number on the anti-skating dial represents the stylus pressure, right?

Derick.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2003
    Hello,
    If memory serves, that dealt with a method of record playing that was popular in Europe, during the 60's and 70's. For a period of time, record playing audiophiles, in Europe favored playing their LPs wet. Meaning they would place a brush that was moderately damp on the record's surface, giving it a light coating of water (there might have been a special "de-ionized" distilled water used). The purpose was to reduce friction between the record's surface and the tip of the stylus. This would have changed the "skating forces" setup as the record rotated and was tracked. If you used this record playing method you used the side of the scale with the filled in symbol. If you didn't and played "dry" then you used the open symbol.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Yes, thanks.

Actually, I found a manual for the Turntable online today. It says exactly what you just did.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2003
    Good, I'm glad you found the answer.
    Take care, Ken