Rotel RB-1080 - Pristine Quality

Comments

• max997
    max997 Posts: 33
    edited March 2009
    dbaldus wrote: »
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, to answer your question, I actually wondered the same thing when I got the amp. The manual that came with the amp is the same manual that you can find on Rotel's site (with one output terminal for each speaker) so I called Rotel and asked them about it. They said that the 2 terminals for each speaker output the same signal, so you can use either of the two on either side to power your speakers or you can use the extra terminals to bi-wire each speaker.

FYI, I tried bi-wiring and didn't really notice much of a difference at all, but thats just my opinion and I've heard that bi-wiring really depends on your speaker's capabilities as well.

Let me know what you're thinking on the amp - I can get it out the door as soon as you're ready.

Thanks for the interest.

thanks for the info

I have a Sunfire 7200 amp now (which Im selling) that offers the same bi-wiring capability which I quickly became a fan of
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited March 2009
    Still for sale...

I'd like to give fellow Polkies a chance to get a great deal on this perfect amp before I move it to Audiogon.

If you have an interest in purchasing it a little while down the road, let me know, too, as I'm not in too much of a hurry to sell it (although sooner would be preferred ;))

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited March 2009
    How well would this match up to my SDA 2's your amp says 8 ohms but i am being told the SDA's can reach as low as 2ohm's at times.
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    How well would this match up to my SDA 2's your amp says 8 ohms but i am being told the SDA's can reach as low as 2ohm's at times.

I wasn't able to find this out myself (before I purchased the amp), so I emailed Rotel tech support. While I cannot find their email at this time (I probably deleted it), I am positive that they said that the 4 ohm rating is 300 wpc.

Doing a quick Google search confirmed this for me. Also, I found this quote in a technical review of the amp that you may be interested in (since you were wondering about 2 ohm loads):

"Using the conventional 1% THD definition of clipping, the Rotel puts out 291W into 8 ohms with one channel driven (24.6dBW), 558W into 4 ohms (24dBW), and even 800W into 2 ohms (23dBW)! Considering its modest price, this is one powerhouse of an amplifier. But, as Rotel recommends in the handbook, the RB 1080 is best used with speakers whose impedances don't drop much below 2 ohms."

Source: http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/608/index4.html (end of review)

In short, I would have to say that this amp is definitely capable of driving your speakers, but I have not personally tested it so this is the best I can do for you at this point.

Let me know what you decide...

Thanks!
    Derek

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited March 2009
    I just got home, let me do some homework. i am sure it will be fine if so i will hit you up, considering i have been looking in to Rotel separates to go with the SDA's.

Thanks.
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    I just got home, let me do some homework. i am sure it will be fine if so i will hit you up, considering i have been looking in to Rotel separates to go with the SDA's.

Thanks.

Sounds good - keep in touch and let me know if I can help you out any more.

2-channel

Home Theater
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    AMAZINGLY.... still for sale!

PM me with offers...

2-channel

Home Theater
  • raidersrule76
    raidersrule76 Posts: 471
    edited March 2009
    Kex,
    If your really interested in selling the Emo I might consider it, depending If I can find someone to buy my Parasound 1201-a monoblocks. Anyone want to buy them:)
    Sig to be updated after dealing with the insurance company:(:(:(
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited March 2009
    Kex,
    If your really interested in selling the Emo I might consider it, depending If I can find someone to buy my Parasound 1201-a monoblocks. Anyone want to buy them:)
    FYI ... I am not the one with the Emo (see below). Otherwise, if you have a genuine interest, you should probably post a FS thread of your own for the Parasound monoblocks, rather than bury them in here IMO. Good luck!
    sandworms wrote: »
    ^$^%#&****^ wish you had this up a month ago, i would have been all over it, instead of the emo i got anybody wanna buy a slightly used xpa3
    Alea jacta est!
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited March 2009

That Rotel 1080 will be plenty for your sda2's. It's also common ground. Its a great amp with plenty of power.

I am a Rotel fan and currently own the 1080,1095, and 1075. Matched with a Rotel pre you'll have yourself a nice 2 channel rig.
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    edited April 2009
    Do you still have this amp for sale? Let me know, maybe we can work something out. thanks.
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    JuanR wrote: »
    Do you still have this amp for sale? Let me know, maybe we can work something out. thanks.

Sure do - send me a PM if you're interested.

Derek

2-channel

Home Theater
  • vijayl
    vijayl Posts: 258
    edited April 2009
    Sure do - send me a PM if you're interested.

Derek

He can't PM based on his # of posts.. may be u shud PM ur email addr

Living Room: 7.3: Samsung - LN52A750, Pioneer Elite SC07
    , logitech 880
    Def Tech Mythos ST :D Fronts, Def Tech Mythos 10 Center, Def Tech BP-30 Surr, Def Tech Mythos GemXL SurrBack, MartinLogan Dynamo
    2Ch: Carver TL-3200 CD player, Carver CT-17 pre, Carver TFM-45 amp driving SDA-1C
    Bed Room: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 , Monitor 50

Storage-RTi8,CSi5,PSW505,Monitor50
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    vijayl wrote: »
    He can't PM based on his # of posts.. may be u shud PM ur email addr

Good call - thanks!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited April 2009
    If I had the cash right now....your amp would be sold. I have been researching for a while and am going to get a Rotel. I can't believe I read all these posts and it not gone yet.

Good Luck
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • renowilliams
    edited April 2009
    You willing to ship to Canada?

And if you are, how much to ship to Ontario K9J-3K2
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

• dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    You willing to ship to Canada?

And if you are, how much to ship to Ontario K9J-3K2

I wouldn't mind shipping to Canada as long as you're willing to pay for it ;)

Check your PM...

2-channel

Home Theater
  • osc888
    osc888 Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
  • osc888
    osc888 Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Newbie here. I suppose my PM did not go through. Please send your email to osc888@gmail.com.
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    Okay, everyone, here is the long-awaited, much-anticipated, ONE AND ONLY PRICE DROP on this amp.

$575 plus actual shipping.

Let me know here or via PM. I'll quote anyone a price for shipping if you let me know your zip code to give a final price.

Thanks,
    Derek

2-channel

Home Theater
  • zx_toth
    zx_toth Posts: 417
    edited April 2009
    Okay, everyone, here is the long-awaited, much-anticipated, ONE AND ONLY PRICE DROP on this amp.

$575 plus actual shipping.

Let me know here or via PM. I'll quote anyone a price for shipping if you let me know your zip code to give a final price.

Thanks,
    Derek

I dont think people realize what a great deal this is!! So many newbs on here asking about how to power their LSi 15s, 25s or RTia9s .... HERE IT IS!! RIGHT HERE.

I have a Rotel 1080 and it was making my LSi 25s sing phenomenally last night without effort. Its nice and heavy and built like a tank.

Good luck.

Zsolt
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    Okay, guys.

renowilliams has first dibs...
    ...followed by osc888...
    ...and last, but not least, bopicasso!

Still awaiting responses from the first two on the list...

Get back to me as soon as you can, guys - lets get this amp movin'!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • aghuey
    aghuey Posts: 12
    edited April 2009
    Wow, still for sale? Try Audiogon for a quick sale!
  • renowilliams
    edited April 2009
    Sorry, move to next guy on the list, not in the cards for me right now.

Thanks anyway

• dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    Sorry, move to next guy on the list, not in the cards for me right now.

Thanks anyway

Already did - thanks ;)

2-channel

Home Theater
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    Anyone else want in at $575 + shipping? I've already had a couple of people fall through already so you never know...

Shipping to anywhere in the US seems to be pretty reasonable for most places (around $40 to the coasts but around $25 for anywhere in the middle!).

2-channel

Home Theater
  • dbaldus
    edited April 2009
    Alright, bopicasso is currently at the top of the list.

Anyone else want to hop in line for $575 + shipping?

2-channel

Home Theater
  • bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited April 2009
    Sorry I havent been responding dbaldus, I was out of town. I will have to pass..
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • gb24
    gb24 Posts: 11
    edited May 2009
    Is this amp still for sale?? :confused:
  • dbaldus
    edited May 2009
    Sure is.

You caught me just in time as I was planning to post this on Audiogon tomorrow morning!

Thanks!
    Derek

2-channel

Home Theater