OK, new sub question, front-fire vs down-fire.

Options
Sonic45
Sonic45 Posts: 10
edited July 2003 in Speakers
My previous thread asking for subwoofer help has finally rendered a decision.
I just ordered the SVS PB1-ISD.

Now I have a curiostiy question regarding front firing vs downfiring subs.

Is there any appreachable audio difference between the two design approaches?

When would one type be prefered over the other, or does it really make a difference?

I presently have an entry level sub Sony SA-WM40(frontfire), and just ordered an upgrade SVS PB1-ISD(as you know downfire).

Presently my frontfire sub sits on the left sidewall just forward of the left surround.
Should I be concerned about having to find a new placement?
Does the fact that my house is on a carpeted cement slab make a differece?

Any thought are appreciated....

TB
Fronts: Polk RTi70 - Bi Wired
Center: Polk CSi40 - Bi Wired
Surrounds L/R: Polk FXi30 (Dipole)
Surround Rears: RTi28 x 2
Sub: SVS PB1-ISD
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
Post edited by Sonic45 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think that you may want to move that Sony subwoofer outta the way when the SVS comes into the room....it will attack with extreme prejudice

Nice purchase. Welcome to the forum.

I think that it is simply room/aestetic application that would warrant one over the other. I don't know of the difference that would exist with either design, they both have high capability or terrible capability depending on who makes them. Sunfire is front fire, and they are solid performers.

Placement wise, just get the sub and move it into the same location, listen and decide then. Your ears will be the best judges, or you could pick up a meter to at calibrate your SPL's....just get the sub first. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Actually, Sunfire is 'left side' firing, right side passive radiator. ;)

Keep it groovy,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I heard a good way to position the sub is to put the sub where you are going to sit, turn it on and move around the room till you find a spot or spots where it sounds the best. then move the sub to those spots and make the final tuning touches with the knobs.

Does this make sence, will it work?
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Good advice to follow if you don't mind crawling around on the floor. Some of us don't have the flexibility to setup a sub where it sounds best, but the method you described is time and test proven.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Russ - Oops, I only saw a couple pics of it with the driver facing canted to the left or right, figured it was front firing....same basic effect tho'? Do you think it makes a difference, in raw terms, I mean.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    6 of one, half dozen of the other. I'd look at freq response spl curves, and thd through said curve. Personally, I don't care which way it fires, the truth is in the listening (and readings).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i would think down firing would give you more thump.. but maybe not. mine is psw 350 front firing.. it sits about two inches from the couch in the back of the room where I sit. it shakes the couch.. so you can feel the bass. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BigBoneDee
    BigBoneDee Posts: 27
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hello. Being no pro myself I will throw out there what I have heard about front firing and down firing subs and someone with the expertise can qualify the statement.

Both have there place and yes it all come down to the individual. However an audiophile looking who is more into audio than theater would get the front firing sub because they tend to be what you call a musical sub. On the other hand for the person who is looking for more of a theater experience and feels he gets more of the musical aspect out of his mains then he probably would go with the down firing sub.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Bass is omnidirectional and cannot be easily absorbed by carpeting, furniture, etc. There is no audible difference between downward firing, side firing, front firing, or upward firing.

There are physics benefits (or downsides), though. The HSU upward firing top mounted cylinder subs are rather top heavy and tip over quite easily, I'm told.

Downward firing can pit the reactionary forces of the woof against gravity and this can help the sub from inch worming on smooth surfaces at high volumes.

I have Armstrong laminate and that **** is SMOOTH. I used custom squishy polyurethane rubber feet on my PB2+ pasted right over the six stockers to make absolutely sure it wasn't going to wander into the HDTV.

Sonic, if you have a very smooth/slick floor, you might want to do the same if your sub wander a bit when you really crank it. Carpeting, vinyl floor tile, linoleum, or regular hard wood floor should not be a problem at all.

Considering what you are coming from, getting the PB1-ISD will almost be unfair.......almost. ;) Enjoy the purchase and please post your impressions.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have a dirt floor, and watering it down before a movie tends to help quite a bit.... :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doesn't that make the bass sound "muddy"?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    :rolleyes: :D;)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sonic:

Saw your same question posted over at AVS. DustinB nailed it - the guy is a subwoofer guru.

Muddy bass. Good one tour! Did you get my email?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Sonic45
    Sonic45 Posts: 10
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks all you guys for all the help!

I think I feel pretty good about this sub purchase, and I will indeed post my opinions on my HT/Music speaker setup when it's all setup.

You guys were a great help - (tips hat to all)...

Terry
    Fronts: Polk RTi70 - Bi Wired
    Center: Polk CSi40 - Bi Wired
    Surrounds L/R: Polk FXi30 (Dipole)
    Surround Rears: RTi28 x 2
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    on my sub i was limited by size of the box but i have so much output it dident offect me. exept i couldnot corner load it but over 120 while listning to brassmonkey is good enough for me.