finally watched HANNIBAL, and shouldn't have

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited December 2001 in Music & Movies
SHORT LIST OF PEOPLE WHO SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR "HANNIBAL":
1. Ridley Scott - Visionary director, capable of the most extremely moving imagings, maker of two of the most visually compelling films of the last 25 years... completely bombs here by saying nothing, showing nothing, and being utterly boring. Ridley has reached the bottom of the talent barrel.

2. Thomas Harris - Adequate and accomplished novelist, with at least three very well done and effective page-turners to his credit; should have stayed home, written something else, not given in to the big hollywood money and just let this story go at an effective double instead of lamely trying for an unsuccessful triple.

3. David Mamet - Got a scriptwriting credit. But, for what? There is no credible spoken dialogue in this movie that is not simply plot re-hash and back story from the previous film. Couldn't refuse the money, huh?

4. Anthony Hopkins - Superb actor, no question about it. Superb character in Lector, no question about it. But after reading a script that calls for Lector to be more of an affected be-hatted effete queen than a terrifying genius cannibal serial killer with real insight into the human condition (see SILENCE OF THE LAMBS & Bryan Cox in MANHUNTER), Tony should have turned it down like Jodie Foster did. (Jodie Foster, by the way, and Jonathan Demme are the only people who appear on the even shorter list of people who should NOT be ashamed by "Hannibal.")

5. Me - For going against my usual strategy and not finding something, ANYTHING, else to do for 2 hours but sit through this zero of a nothing waste-of-time movie. I am ashamed and if asked will deny that I have ever seen it.

(Uh oh, Mad King George just died! :( )
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited December 2001
    Options
    To be as hyped up as it was, this was indeed a complete waste of film! A guy talking with his cranium opened??? And!! Given the fact that Lector was on just about every wanted list that there was, does it seem logical that he would be out in the open giving art and cultural lectures?? Oy Vey!!! Don't feel too bad Micah, there's quite a few of us who fell trap to this wretched piece of garbage. Happy Holidays!

Ron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Me - For going against my usual strategy and not finding something, ANYTHING, else to do for 2 hours but sit through this zero of a nothing waste-of-time movie. I am ashamed and if asked will deny that I have ever seen it.

Exactly what I thought after watching Silence of the Lambs. Exactly. That is why you could not pay me to watch Hannibal.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    SOTL - Greatness
    Hannibull - Micah said it all

I think we made it 43 minutes into Hannibullshit, and just couldn't take anymore.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Ron. Ron Ron Ron.

Stop now. Step away from the keyboard.

SOTL is a perfect film.

Don't make me fight you.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Just trying to get your fire burning Micah;)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.