Odd size TV's out there?

Options
I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited July 2003 in Electronics
My family recently purchased a beach house. We would prefer to take our existing TV in our main house living room to FL and upgrade to something a bit nicer. Our problem is entertainment center space. Most 27" TV's, flat or strandard, fit easily. Not a single 32" TV that we have found quite fits. We searched CC, BB, Hifi Buys, and Sam's.

So, is anyone aware of a quality TV that is somewhere between 27" and 32"?

Thanks ahead of time.

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If its that important, get a new entertainment center.

sorry I couldnt resist

I dont know of any, sorry.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Over the last few years the latest trend for t.v. manufacturers is to have speakers built on their sides than below the screen. With this design it adds a couple of inches to each side making the tv difficult if not impossible to fit in any a/v center.

A/V manufacturers have only begun to catch on and configure their units for this style. A/V units of yesteryear will mostly luck out on this.

However, manufacturers still make flat screens with speakers on the bottom though they're usually base models but still good. Try Sony fs series or Panasonic sx series.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • I-SIG
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fgr41
    If its that important, get a new entertainment center.

sorry I couldnt resist

I dont know of any, sorry.

I understand, but the fam has this EC very well set-up (read Polk) and integrated into the living room. If it were my set-up, I would try and do something to upgrade the EC.

Unfortunately, all the shelves are daydoed (?) into the sides, so adjusting the shelves, while possible, would likely be unsightly and difficult at best and completely destructive at worst.

Also, is there some design issues that prevent TV's from being constructed in this range? or is it simply upgrade B4tB, size-wise.

Thanks.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • I-SIG
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks, begbie. I'll look at those.

For us, width isn't the problem usually, it's only having, at best, 25.5" of height to work with.

Wes

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Try also JVC flatscreens. With thier earlier models, I've seen them quite compact - width and height wise.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    before I had an entertainment center.. I used a coffee table for my TV stand. it does not limit the size of any TV"s.. because it's a flat surface.. any size, and shape TV will work. 4:3, 16:9 HDTV, widescreen, flat panel, you name it
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • I-SIG
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Sean.

I guess I'll do some more searching online, but I'm getting the distinct feeling that 27" may be it.

Wes

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    isn't it possible to find 30" TVs? idk nething about TVs lol.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey You should check out Loewe.
    I got a model called the "Arcada" when I graduated highschool, and I love it. It really has an excellent picture. They make all sorts of odd sizes- including 28", 29", 30", ect.
    Some are kind of weird looking, but if you can get past that they look great (IMO). Its also not as mainstream as some other brands but from what I have heard from my dad (he got the TV for me) they are very popular in Europe.
    Take care. Mike

http://www.loewe.de/cda
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,659
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by I-SIG
    Thanks, begbie. I'll look at those.

For us, width isn't the problem usually, it's only having, at best, 25.5" of height to work with.

Wes

Do you have a tiny bit of cheat space on height, like maybe a shelf moulding that could be removed. I just found this RCA 32" at CC that says it's only 25.8" tall.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8043&qp=0332033213336&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=55226
  • I-SIG
    edited July 2003
    Options
    thanks, DT.

I checked their sight. They have amuchmore limited selection of products available in the US, but I e-mailed them anyway to get some info. They had a 30" 16:9 TV. It would fit great, but I'm seriously concerned that it may be a bit out of our price range and about how it may stretch 4:3 images.

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ken,

Yeah, we found that RCA also. Our 25.5" is if we slid the TV in from the backside where there is no molding on any edge. It is a very tempting set though. We might need to go back and measure really close, but I'm 90% confident that 25.8" is gonna be just a smidge too much. Thanks again.

Wes