Hey Dr. Spec

Options
wallstreet
wallstreet Posts: 1,405
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Where did you end up setting the high pass on your 1000's?
Post edited by wallstreet on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    Where did you end up setting the high pass on your 1000's?

80 Hz all around. Works great for music and movies. High pass filter rate is 12 dB/octave on the 3803. Let's all the speaks play down to around 55-60 Hz pretty strong.

Blends great with the sub at that frequency. Plus, 80 doesn't lop off anything from the LFE channel. Any lower and it would since the LFE channel is summed through the bass management circuit on the 3803 and cannot be controlled separately.

Love the 1000's BTW - thanks again.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • wallstreet
    edited July 2003
    Options
    so you set all speakers to small with a high pass of 80hz? (that's thx spec btw)

I just got my avr-307, so i'll be playing around with these settings over the next couple of days.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    so you set all speakers to small with a high pass of 80hz? (that's thx spec btw)

I just got my avr-307, so i'll be playing around with these settings over the next couple of days.

That's correct. 80 works extremely well for both HT and music IF you have a great sub. Again, this still allows the high passed speaks to play much lower than that for a smooth transition to the sub.

I think you can adjust the filter rates on the B&K in addition to the xo frequency. I recommend 12 dB/octave for the high pass and 24 dB/octave for the low pass. That is the THX standard.

Doc

SVS
  • wallstreet
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm still subless though. With this latest purchase, I'll be subless for awhile longer.:(
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That's a GREAT AVR, though. Good purchase!

You can use the LS90's as your sub if you set the mains to large and the sub to no/off and the other speaks to small.

Doc

SVS
  • wallstreet
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That's how I ended up with the initial config. I haven't made it to the equilazation yet. Sound improvement was remarkable over the old Denon running DPL.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sound improvement was remarkable over the old Denon running DPL.

That's the understatement of the day.

SVS
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    can someone tell me the frequency difference between octaves? I'm assuming it's variable, what's the equation?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Double the freq number (or halve) per octave.

40 Hz is 1 octave lower than 80Hz. 60Hz is 1/2 octave lower than 80Hz.

4000 Hz is 2 octaves higher than 1000Hz, 1 octave higher than 2000Hz.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wallstreet
    edited July 2003
    Options
    BTW, Russman, do you an Avia test disc and a spl meter I could borrow?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    BTW, Russman, do you an Avia test disc and a spl meter I could borrow?

I'm sure Rooster can cook you up something.

Failing that, I'll send you my Avia and you can return it when you're done, if you want. The RS meter was recently on sale for only 25 bones - including an extra 9v battery.

The B&K test tones are quite good, though, as I calibrated a 507 with Avia and then compared to the internal tones and they were very close (within 1-2 dB).

The digital Video Essentials coming in September will be a MUST BUY, though. Only $19 and it does 6.1 and has a bazillion HDTV and FP calibration tests.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    40 Hz is 1 octave lower than 80Hz. 60Hz is 1/2 octave lower than 80Hz.Cheers, Russ

Good one.

Russ' post brings into focus that with an 80 Hz high pass and a 12 dB/octave filter rate, any speak set to small will only be artificially 6 dB down at 60 Hz.

You don't want your speaks to start naturally rolling off at the same time they are being artificially filtered. Otherwise it will cause a depression in the FR at that point.

I like to see a -3dB point of 50-55 Hz for any speaker being high passed at 80 Hz. They really need to be pretty bass capable. The 1000's can handle it, no problem.

Doc

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Wall,

I have a meter, you're more than welcome to use it, but for $25, I'd just bag one. They are nice to have, esp when you go to demo gear, so you have an idea of what the rig sounds like at *your* reference level.

Never used a meter or setup disc for ht, always by ear.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    thanks for the octave info, that makes so much sense now.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33%2D2050

Here's the Rat Shack meter link. I may even bag one for $25 as a back up to the B&K.

Doc

SVS