Receiver Problems

Options
Wolf21
Wolf21 Posts: 3
edited July 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I bought lately the RTi70 and the PSW202 for my home system. Now for the center i ve got a Klipsch sc-1 and for my back speakers i ve got the Infinitys alpha 40. And for the last i bought the Denon 1803 as a receiver. Now every time i put the sound up in a movie my Denon clips(stops). My Denon is a 80watt-7 channel. Is my Receiver not strong enough for my Polk or for what i want to do with it?????????
Post edited by Wolf21 on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What kind of speaker connections are you useing? Perhaps 1 or so may be accidently shorting or something like that.

This does not sound like a speaker issue unless your are really cranking your volume in which case you can do serious damage to your speakers. You should also seriously consider the Polk CSi40 for your center. Just a thought.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Wolf21
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If i understand your question well, my connections are that each speaker goes too the receiver. And i am sure that no wires touch each other. And the Sub goes into the sub jack of the receiver.

I would like to know what is loud for you?? if my receiver starts at -70DB ( -10 DB ) is too loud ?????

Yes i will probaly change the Klipsch for the Polk but i have to find a way too sell it too.

And last thing am i better off with a HK525 than a Denon

Thank you again
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have a Denon 2802. I rarely push it as far as -10db, although I will occasionally with software that has restrained recording levels -- older cd's, things I record on vhs, very few dvd's --, without introducing the circuit protector (I assume this is what you mean by "stops." In fact the only time I ever brought on the circuit protector was when I first purchased it and had some wires that weren't entirely clear of one another.

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you removed the Klipsch from the equation? Can you then play at -10db?

This topic reminds me: Does anyone know what equals 1 or 2 o'clock in db talk? I preferred it when you had a wheel with a little notch on it to stop you from going too far with your volume.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Wolf21
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thats where the problem is... In my speaker setup ( the test tone of Denon) To have equall sound i must put my front speakers and back ones at +7db and the center at 0db. Personnaly this is a huge difference. When it is configured this way I Drive my receiver around -20db to listen to a movie but when i take off the klisch and put the reste all at 0db(setting) then to have the equivalent i must Drive at -07db.....

Thanks...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    All the speaks you are using are 8 ohms and the Denon should have no probs driving any of them.

The sc-1 is a decent center channel, it is simply very efficient, and this is throwing off your individual speaker level calibration.

Although I agree timbre matching the front end is a good idea as the Klipsch and the Polk have different sounds for sure.

If your Denon is shutting off when you raise the volume for movies, you have a mild short somewhere in the system - a bad wire, missing insulation, even a bad speaker with a shorted VC will do this. You are either showing the Denon a low impedance load, or you are drawing too much current from the amp.

Start isolating speakers and or wires one at a time and see which one causes the problem at higher volumes. Be systematic and I bet you will find the culprit.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Isolation, like Doc said, is the key.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • thajones
    thajones Posts: 30
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I've got the same, a Denon 1803, and I push mine that loud with no problems running all channels. In fact, to test it's mettle, I played the 1812 Overture at -08, which was pl-enty loud (ask my wife, two of her trinkets fell off the shelf).
    Denon 1803 Receiver
    Denon HDCD CD player and DVD Player
    DTV HD Tivo Recorder
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Kimber Kable
    48 inch Magnavision HD projection
    Polk CS350 center channel
    Polk RT10s
    Polk RT/fx
    AR 12" slot loaded sub

(Mirage Omnisat system almost complete)