TT Outer Ring Clamps and TT Clamp

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited October 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
Guys,

TT makes a great product. It was packaged exceptionally well and arrived on time. The pictures speak for themselves. My records are completely flat. I haven't done much critical listening yet, but my first impressions are promising. The two instruments fit on my TT without issue and performed as described.
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited March 2009
    Keep us posted on your findings.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2009
    I must say it looks pretty cool on your table.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2009
    Looks nice.

How does an outer ring clamp work? Is it actually clamping to anything...or is it basically a weight?
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited March 2009
    Just wrote this up a half hour ago. Sorry if there are any grammar or spelling errors.

Review of the TTWeight: TT Outer Ring and TTMiddleWeight

Let’s face it; sometimes the high-end requires an audiophile to purchase a piece of equipment blindly. This virtual cliff jumping may destroy the synergy of your system, but the potential exists to take your rig to a new degree of enjoyment.

Feeling daring one evening, I clicked the “send payment” button and purchased a TTOuter Ring and TTMiddleWeight record coupling system. The 600 Gram TTOuter Ring Lists for $ 299 and includes the TTConcentricity Disk. The 1050 Gram TTMiddleWeight Lists for $64.99. Both units were very well packed. The TTOuter Ring arrived in a wood crate, while the TTMiddleWeight was packed in a separate set of padded boxes. Shipping via UPS 3-day Delivery amounted to $ 35.00. My initial total was $ 398.99, but Larry Denham of TTWeights gave me 25% off the TTMiddleWeight and knocked $ 20.00 off the TTOuter Ring. After special discounts, my total was $365.99 – a veritable bargain considering other competitors list periphery ring clamp solutions from $600 to $1,500. To ease the apprehension that I may have just blown some serious change on scrap metal, Larry Denham insures his products with a 100% money back guarantee if not happy.

After unscrewing and razor-blading through the layers of packaging, most audiophiles are ecstatic to finally hold in their hands an artistic piece of aural engineering. This was partially true for me. The TTMiddleWeight and TTOuter Ring are beautifully crafted with fine precision edges that are awe-inspiring. However, the weight of these two instruments was unexpected, and I cringed at the idea of putting what felt so heavy on my delicate Pro-ject RM-5 SE. Sure I knew their technical specs before buying them, but does anyone in the United States really know what 600 or 1050 grams feels like? The TTOuter Ring and TTMiddleWeight combined weigh as much as 291 copper-nickel quarters minted after 1964. That’s $72.75! You’d have to eat three standard foot-long Subway Club sandwiches to increase your body-weight by the poundage of the TTWeight decoupling system. Finally, next time you are in Miami and see a hot blond with twin 660cc non-silicone breast implants (a.k.a. “Double Ds “) walking past you, remember those fun bags weigh nearly half a pound less that the TTWeight gear.

To begin testing, I listened to several records in near mint condition and several with inner and outer warping issues. Each record was listened to all the way through with nothing but the stock Pro-ject screw-down puck on the TT. Then, I replaced the stock puck with the TTWeight coupling system and repeated the listening session.

Installation was fairly simple, however, the TTCentricity Disk would not clear the stylus of my Pro-ject while the tonearm was locked in the “Tonearm rest.” No problem here; I just moved the tonearm from its resting position and gently set it outside the “tonearm rest” to an angle where the TTCentricity could slide gently in and place the TTOuter Ring on the record below. The TTCentricity worked like a charm and the ring sat perfectly centered and even around the edges of the record. Next I simply placed the TTMiddleWeight on the spindle – no screw-down necessary, just be careful not to drop the damn thing as the scene would be much akin to throwing a small aerobics weight at your turntable. The concave base of the TTMiddleWeight sat comfortably on the LP, and presumably focused its pressure around the edges of the record’s labeling to optimize contact with the record and platter.

“Click,” I flipped the switch and held my breath wondering if the motor in my turntable could muster the strength to spin the weight sitting upon it. With relief I took a breath as the platter began spinning with the same ease as it always has. The stylus cleared the inner rim of the TTOuter Ring with room to spare.

The TTWeight record coupling system was a stellar improvement with perfect and less than perfect LPs. My notes across the board indicate a wider more transparent soundstage with better imaging and overall instrument placement. I’m sure this has something to do with the fact that even at eye level with the TTOuter Ring spinning, it was impossible to see any warping on even my most weathered LPs. The TTWeights flattened the vinyl exceedingly well.

One LP in particular that had a wicked warp, despite being purchased new, was notorious for hissing and distortion during the higher notes of all songs. With the TTWeights in place, these imperfections vanished as the stylus floated gently through the grooves. Seriously, that’s just amazing. The space between tracks and softer songs were much quieter as the sound of the stylus over the record was all but a warm and welcoming hum.

Overall, the performance from each record was more natural with greater detail and accuracy, which ultimately translated into a virtually un-fatiguing, lush and utterly live musical performance. I can’t help but love my new copper TTOuter Ring accompanied by its companion solid brass TTMiddleWeight. The TTWeights are not cheap, but they’re still a bargain worth their weight in gold.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2009
    Nice write up. It's amazing what a good clamping system can do.
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited March 2009
    Glad to see the ring and center weight arrived safely. I like the shipping packaging for the ring; much better than a box could ever protect it. To give you some perspective, the VPI ring is almost 2200 grams. With the ring in place, I always help start the platter rotating as I use silk thread as a belt. As you found, the sonic characteristics improve with the periphery clamp in place. I will always user some mechanism to clamp the exterior and center of the record because of this.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited September 2010
    I have one of these inbound; the 1150g model. My buddy has one and I read enough reviews to convince this an excellent implementation and design.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2010
    Let us know your thoughts on it also.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2010
    I like mine.

218_99_big.jpg?rand=229667828
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    @ SolidSqual

Excellent review with some every thought-provoking results.

@ Scomp,

you have an oversize platter? So, you are using a mat under it correct?

Is that the expensive internally damped TTweight?

DC
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2010
    now can one use these weights with any type of platter and TT? For example lower end TT such as the Rega P1's, Music Halls 2.2LE ect would have a platter that sits on top of where the band and motor goes. Would these add too much weight to those type of tables and cause it to not function correctly?

I ask as I I've never seen anyone use an outter weight on these type of tables, but only the higher end ones. Clamps and center weights yes but not of that size from what I've seen.

Probably a dumb question but I just wanted to ask.
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    now can one use these weights with any type of platter and TT? For example lower end TT such as the Rega P1's, Music Halls 2.2LE ect would have a platter that sits on top of where the band and motor goes. Would these add too much weight to those type of tables and cause it to not function correctly?

I ask as I I've never seen anyone use an outter weight on these type of tables, but only the higher end ones. Clamps and center weights yes but not of that size from what I've seen.

Probably a dumb question but I just wanted to ask.

He has various weights of outer ring for lightweight tables, and the site is well documented with suggestions for particular tables.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• SCompRacer
    edited September 2010

@ Scomp,

Doc, yes the platter is oversize at 14". It is the standard platter (20 pounds) shipped with the Nottingham Space 294.

I use a Boston Audio Mat 1, which is carbon graphite. There is a machined relief in the platter to allow fingertip retrieval of a standard diameter LP. The oversize platter makes it challenging to grab the ring, but it is doable.

The weight is his one pound Classic w/level. Unlike some products I have seen with built in levels, this one is spot on when compared to my reference sprit level.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    I'm an idiot. I use an airbearing I forgot about the lack of clearance I'll have.

From the looks of your table, I'll need a lot of space.

My platter diameter is 11" 11/16.

I need to check their site now.

crap...
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    I think I might need .90 inches out from the edge of my platter. Will double check the math after a run after my head is clear.

Not sure I can even adjust my arm and base and still get tangential with that much space.

doh!
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• SCompRacer
    edited September 2010
    An oversight maybe, but you're no idiot. I had a Yamaha YP-D10, which is an extremely high quality direct drive turntable in a heavy wood base. Matter of fact Larry of ttweights has one; occasionally you see it featured in his Audiogon ad's and it appears on his web site. You have to shorten the pin the anti-skate weight hangs on to use a periphery ring clamp on it.

With flat oversize platters the ring could contact the outer edges of the platter without putting any pressure on the record. He lists the mat thickness required for the various rings he offers. Of course adding a mat requires being able to raise the arm to maintain proper VTA.

I hope it all works out for you.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't all of this extra weight cause excessive wear on the bearing?
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    They make a 290g, 600g, and 1150g models for this reason. Need to match it to the table/bearing.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Doc, yes the platter is oversize at 14". It is the standard platter (20 pounds) shipped with the Nottingham Space 294.

I use a Boston Audio Mat 1, which is carbon graphite. There is a machined relief in the platter to allow fingertip retrieval of a standard diameter LP. The oversize platter makes it challenging to grab the ring, but it is doable.

The weight is his one pound Classic w/level. Unlike some products I have seen with built in levels, this one is spot on when compared to my reference sprit level.

I think I am going to try one of his mats and the small ring for some light damping.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    All this talk of clamps and such have me tingling with excitement!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2010
    I need to try something like this on my table.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • doctorcilantro
    edited October 2010
    I listed one of his solid brass weights in the for sale forum...the thing is 1150g!

I'm going with some carbon fiber (weight), and one of his clamps as well.

I saw some ebony ones on eBay....
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• doctorcilantro
    edited October 2010
    Found these browsing eBay; lot of diy stuff there:

home made corian weight
    • ItAI5s.jpg

f1-1.jpg

QpE0tl.jpg
    dQUoRl.jpg
    cU27Zl.jpg
    TGnszl.jpg
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited December 2021
    Anyone know if there's anyone making turntable rings for Technics tables? I remember years ago there was a guy with a shop who was working on a design, but he closed up. I've been picking up a few albums here and there again, and still dealing with some warps here and there. Always wanted a ring to take care of that once and for all.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I read somewhere that weights aren't desirable/needed for 1200s and in fact can cause issues.
  • msg
    I think I read something similar, having to do with premature wear on the spindle bearing with use of extra heavy record weights?

Some of the spindle weights/clamps purport improvements in audio quality due to coupling action to the platter. While I'm interested in any audio improvements, my interest is more in methods for warp reduction during use without having to employ other warp reduction/repair techniques. It does seem though that one wouldn't want to use a ring without a spindle weight or clamp to prevent the record bowing up at the spindle under flex due to weight at the outer ring.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Maybe KAB would know?
  • msg
    edited December 2021
    Ha. On a whim, just searched for these for the SL-1200, and found this:
    https://www.waynesaudio.com/product-page/universal-turntable-periphery-outer-ring-clamp-ss-t
    ynv8dh8ywtwg.png
    q8de7iu3mg81.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Mastersounds also makes weights and shows them in use on 1200s, but who knows, doesn't mean they are good for the table: https://mastersounds.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/turntable-weight-silver
  • msg
    That's just the center weight, though right? Unless I'm missing something there.
    I disabled signatures.