More Power!!!

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Ok, Here is my question to you guys. As you know I'm new to this HT stuff. When I came here I had the RM6200 satellites...and I'm slowly trying to upgrade, and I DO mean slowly. As of now, my goal system is as follows:

Speakers:

Center: CSi40
Mains: RTi70's
Surrounds: FXi50's
Rears: RT600i's

Sub: PSW-450 (Would be upgraded to SVS)

Reciever:

Denon AVR-3803

DVD Player:

Denon DVD-2900

I think Wires are the last upgrades I'm going to make, but I also know that if I get some 'amps' and 'pre-amps' it's going to require me to buy a lot more wires.

Now...What would be good, compatibale, 'amps' and 'pre-amps' for the above setup? Could I get all of that stuff first and then think about the 'amps' and 'pre-amps'?

What is the difference between an 'amp' and a 'pre-amp'?

What is it going to give me? I don't need LOUDER. What will it do to the sound quality to justify it? I'm sorry I'm asking all of these questions, but there are no good set-ups at any stores around me that carry Polk speakers. We have a high end audio video store, but they don't have the Polk line.

Please let me know, and what brands. I'm not looking to spend a ton more than I already will on the other stuff.

[ d a v e ]
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited July 2003
    Options
    An amplifier's only job is to amplify the signal given to it via the preamp, and pass that amplified signal to the speakers.
    A preamp takes a relatively low voltage signal from a source( CD, DVD, etc) and boosts it to a level usable by the power amp. The preamp, generally speaking, has all of the inputs for your sources as well as volume controls and tone controls and balance controls.
    Assuming you have adequate power already to efficiently drive your speakers, which the Denon should provide, external amplification usually makes more difference at loud listening levels as , depending on the wattage, and possibly when driving lower impedance speakers. Although, I have noticed in my system a little cleaner sound overall and more bass punch using external amps. I think, and it may be debatable, that the primary advantage would be in 2-channel listening, and, at louder listening levels although I can still hear a difference even at lower volumes, just not as dramatic. I do not have much experience with separate preamps although I have heard a good preamp can make even more of an impact for 2-channel listening than adding amps. Of course the ultimate would be to add both.
    I think you need to weigh the importance of your 2-channel listening before committing any money to this area. I just don't think the impact would be as great for movies, given your system, unless you really listen at extreme volumes. This is just my opinion from my limited experience and I don't purport to be an expert by any means. Also, if I was going to spend big bucks to improve my 2-channel listening, I would seriously consider adding a good dedicated CD player, although that is a very expensive DVD player you have there, I don't know how it rates as a CD player.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well, at this point I live in an condo stype apartment, so volume isn't necessary at this point....

however...I'm currently waiting for my g.f to finish college and we will eventually be getting a house together. So, for that I'm going to want to be able to really crank my system for movies and CD's. As of now, music listening in my home is pretty limited to the computer or just at moderate volumes when the roomate is gone or we're having a small get together.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I am preparing for the future, but I don't need anything immediately. I'm eventually planning on using my other sats and such as an office or bedroom setup in the future.

....and the Denon DVD-2900 doubles as a Super Audio CD Player...so...yeah..

lastly...

Thanks for the info on amps and pre-amps. From what I gather is seems like I should wait awhile before bothering with those. I realize there are going to be new technological advancements and what not, but I think I'm going to be satisfied with the speakers and equipment I've selected above for quite awhile.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    I'm eventually planning on using my other sats and such as an office or bedroom setup in the future.

How bad have you got it???:D

jr crashed... waaaaaaaa:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options

I think you're talking about the fact that I'm addicted....right?
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think that's a great goal for a theater/music system.

Subs: I own both the PSW350 and Velodyne CT-120. The CT-120 is SIGNIFICANTLY more potent a home theater sub; far deeper and louder, real impact. I prefer the Polk for musical purposes, it's a bit quicker and seems tuned better for my Polk mains (not a big surprise). I guess what I'm saying is, if I had it to do all over again, and after doing more extensive research on the topic, I'd probably pop for an SVS 25-31PC-Plus right from the get go and not look back.

Either way, your upgrade will be VERY enjoyable to your ears. In either of my systems, and often after an entire magnum of merlot, I sit with eyes closed, volume at an alarmingly high level, and sense a huge soundstage in an enormous venue of which I am in the front row. That's what this is all about, and I think you can achieve that with your system goal. Good luck ... I'm off with a magnum of Robert Mondavi Merlot under my arm to a friend's house.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited July 2003
    Options
    How about an Outlaw 950 preamp and an Outlaw 7100 7 channel amp. Less than $1500 total for some great separates!!

http://www.outlawaudio.com/holiday-sale.html#
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reccomendation. I think it's going to be awhile befor amps and preamps now.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    I think you're talking about the fact that I'm addicted....right?

yup... your not alone:cool:
    twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Phuz warned me about this before I came here. I knew it was inevitable, but I feel it was a good idea.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Welcome to "The Hobby!".......hehe
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I say ADCOM! What a shocker eh?

Adcom GFA-535 -- 535 II
    Adcom GFA-545 -- 545 II

Those two above amps go for 150-300. I run the 545 on my center channel since it requires more power than the rest of my speakers. I run the 535 (original) on my Mains, and the II on my surrounds. The Adcom's compliment Polk well. They are very clean amps. For your preamp, just use your Denon. It will do the job of Preamp fine. IMO. Although, I dont like Denon. God speed to you! lol!

Also consider -- AMC, NAD, Rotel is in a higher price range, but if you would like to consider them also. No one is stopping you. I believe you will not go wrong with any of the above amp companies. Your future rig looks to be a good one. Good Luck on your HT journey
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Welcome to "The Hobby!".......hehe

• Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    <3 Denon. I read all of the specs and manuals and I like the attention to detail I can put into the Denon. It will really force me to learn more.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Alot of people like Denon. Just not my cup of tea. GL with your upgrades.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.