Rotel RB-1080 - Pristine Quality

Options
dbaldus
dbaldus Posts: 730
My Rotel RB-1080's Description
I've decided to part with my Rotel RB-1080 as I'm currently trying to fund my latest adventure in Home Theater as opposed to 2 channel.

This amp is almost a year and a half old (as can be seen in the pictures, it was purchased brand new on 08/27/2007), is functioning absolutely perfectly, and has been cared for like a newborn.

If it weren't for it being a year and a half old, I'd rate this a 10/10. However, I'll have to go with a 9/10 just for the age alone.

At 200 watts x 2 (8 ohms), this amp is well capable of driving any speaker you can throw at it! For more information on the amp, visit Rotel's website here:
http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=8&Tab=2&Pic=1

What does it ship with?
I have all of the original packaging (including both boxes and the foam packaging for it), the original AC power cord and 12v power switch cable, the original manual, and even the receipt from purchase. But none of this would be mean anything without pictures, so here they are:

Pictures
The unit itself:
frontedk.jpg
frontlabel.jpg
frontleftangle.jpg
frontrightangle.jpg
backtopangle.jpg
backtzd.jpg

Another unit picture showing the power and 12v trigger cables:
topfvj.jpg

The original receipt and manual (note the purchase date of 08/27/2007):
receiptg.jpg
receiptandcard.jpg

And finally the original boxes with the original foam packaging:
boxes.jpg
openbox.jpg

Price
$600 plus shipping. This amp is now double-boxed up and ready to go.

Thanks for helping this great amp find a new home!

2-channel
Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
Post edited by dbaldus on

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Nice dbaldus, and nice pricing too IMO, FWIW. I hope you find joy in whatever new waypoint you intend to include in your audio journey, Good Luck with the sale!
    Alea jacta est!
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks, Kex - I appreciate the support!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Looks like a great amp at a good price. Too bad I haven't actually heard any Rotels recently...am in the market for a 2 channel but still doing the listening tests.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Looks like a great amp at a good price. Too bad I haven't actually heard any Rotels recently...am in the market for a 2 channel but still doing the listening tests.

cnh

I'd highly recommend checking this one out, or read reviews, or ask around here, etc.

I think it would probably be good for you, regardless of your speaker setup, just given the reputation of the amp.

2-channel

Home Theater
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited March 2009
    Options

cnh

i have a rotel 993 200x3 and it sounds great.....no problem driving any of the speakers i have used it with..and for the price you cant go wrong......good luck with your sale
  • metal83
    metal83 Posts: 1,219
    edited March 2009
    Options
    That looks like it's in absolutely fantastic condition!
    If i wasn't so hung up on trying to get a Sunfire, i'd buy this in a heartbeat.

I'm sure this won't last long, seems like an excellent deal!

Good luck! :D
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Morning bump...

2-channel

Home Theater
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited March 2009
    Options
    hourly bump for beautiful amp.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Evening bump...

2-channel

Home Theater
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2009
    Options
    if I needed this amp, I would grab this one right now, it's in sweet condition and it's a very fair price for a unbelieveable solid kick **** amp... Damn she is pretty.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Almost 300 views and no offers? What's going on here? :eek:

Someone pick this up - you won't be sorry!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Bump...

2-channel

Home Theater
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    No one is even interested?! :eek:

$600 plus shipping for this great amp!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • jbhungvt
    jbhungvt Posts: 41
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I think it might need to go lower given the economy.:o
  • Kex
    edited March 2009
    Options
    jbhungvt wrote: »
    I think it might need to go lower given the economy.:o
    I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the price whatsoever. Sometimes you just have to wait until the right person is ready for a new two channel amplifier. Sales on this type of gear don't always happen within one or two weeks ... nor even a month.

Perhaps it might be worth listing on Audiogon too, where there may be a wider audience. It's fairly easy to check going prices in any case IMO, just by watching what's happening on Audiogon and eBay. Otherwise, if the pricing seems to be within the going range, and there's not special hurry, then there's no reason to get restless ... JMO.
    Alea jacta est!
  • CRESCENDOPOWER
    CRESCENDOPOWER Posts: 153
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I would buy it from you, but I made a promise to my local dealer for this exact same unit. Rotel has always been my favorite mid-fi amplifier of choice, solid proof that there is more to building an amplifier than amps of peak current.:) Cheap shot at another manufacturer.
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have to say that I haven't heard many Rotels. I know they're a solid reliable amp. But are they 'warm' sounding? The reviews I've read say they're more 'neutral'.

For me warmth is essential. As I don't have access to any Rotels I've put them on hold till I actually hear one. Not saying this is not a great amp...just that there are personal tastes involved. Audiogon is a good idea as well. I've been looking for something class A (low power to AB in the higher mode). I don't think Rotel has that configuration. Or they don't list it.

cnh

• dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have to say that I haven't heard many Rotels. I know they're a solid reliable amp. But are they 'warm' sounding? The reviews I've read say they're more 'neutral'.

For me warmth is essential. As I don't have access to any Rotels I've put them on hold till I actually hear one. Not saying this is not a great amp...just that there are personal tastes involved. Audiogon is a good idea as well. I've been looking for something class A (low power to AB in the higher mode). I don't think Rotel has that configuration. Or they don't list it.

cnh

I honestly don't feel like I have the qualifications to comment on the "warmth" of the amp, but here is my story:

I owned an Emotiva LPA-1 for about a month before returning it because I didn't notice much of a difference (if any) over using my H/K 247's internal amps. About six months later, I purchased the Rotel I'm trying to sell here and noticed differences in clarity and dynamic range although NOT much in the overall sound itself (as far as warm or bright).

I was using the H/K 247 as the pre in both cases, so I'm sure that is probably why, but in my very limited experience, I have not noticed any warming or brightening of sound using either of the amps I have used. My guess is that it has a lot more to do with the pre than the amp itself, but I'm sure someone around here could answer this much better than me.

Just my two cents... and thanks for looking!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks,

That makes a lot of sense...The HK is a warm sounding receiver so that may be important here. Maybe I should be thinking about my own receiver in that regards--I'm using a Denon AVR2807...which is not quite as warm as an HK but not that far off in the other direction either.

cnh

• dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks,

That makes a lot of sense...The HK is a warm sounding receiver so that may be important here. Maybe I should be thinking about my own receiver in that regards--I'm using a Denon AVR2807...which is not quite as warm as an HK but not that far off in the other direction either.

cnh

I guess I should have mentioned that I also tried using a Denon 3803 as a pre in my Rotel setup. Again, I found that the Rotel didn't change the sound coming from the original setup (using the Denon's internal amps) as far as warmth/brightness goes, but the extra clarity and detail were still there as it was when I was using the H/K for the pre.

If I were you, I'd do some research on this. However, in my experience, I would have to say that if you are happy with the sound that your receiver is making before you get the amp, you won't be disappointed once you add an external amp. I'm curious to see what you find out if you do choose to look into this.

2-channel

Home Theater
  • CRESCENDOPOWER
    CRESCENDOPOWER Posts: 153
    edited March 2009
    Options

cnh

Rotels do sound neutral, just not electronic sounding. Keep in mind all my comments are aimed at 2 channel setups, and not home theater. A good review can be found here:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100rotel/
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Bump for the weekend... any takers?

2-channel

Home Theater
  • sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ^$^%#&****^ wish you had this up a month ago, i would have been all over it, instead of the emo i got anybody wanna buy a slightly used xpa3
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• kasuza
    kasuza Posts: 29
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sandworms wrote: »
    ^$^%#&****^ wish you had this up a month ago, i would have been all over it, instead of the emo i got anybody wanna buy a slightly used xpa3

For how much? I ordered Onkyo PR-SC885 Preamp/Processor so i am looking for a solid amplifier. I had a pair of Klipsch F3 as a rear (looking to trade for Lsi-9), LSi-C, and a pair of LSi-15 as front...NO NEED FOR SuB
    Samsung UN46C8000
    Integra DTR-70.2 9.2 channels receiver
    Martin Logan Source Special Edition Front (Dark Cherry)
    Polk LsiC Center speaker (Ebony) (no Cherry):frown:
    Polk Lsi9 Surround (Dark Cherry)
    Polk Lsi7 Back Surround (Dark Cherry)
    Polk Micro PSW3000 Subwoofer
    Sony Playstation 3
    Thermaltake DH 103 case HTPC
  • Kex
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sandworms wrote: »
    Emos are usually fairly easy to sell, if you're serious about that. Perhaps even more so on the Emotiva forum (without taking much of a loss, that is). All the hype surrounding the brand does at least help buyers out in that regard.
    Alea jacta est!
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If I didn't already have a 1080, I'd be all over this... and you are local to boot. I've spent a lot of time (and money) at HiFi Sound... The best shop in the twin cities for sure. Good Luck. No worries, it will sell.

-Jason
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Lets get this unit sold - it needs a new home!

2-channel

Home Theater
  • max997
    max997 Posts: 33
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I am new to the forum and interested in the amp

can you tell me why there are two sets out speaker terminals for each speaker? is that for bi-wiring each speaker? is this amp considered the older / newer model because the current manual and back drawing on the site only have one set of speaker terminals for each speaker

thanks
  • dbaldus
    edited March 2009
    Options
    max997 wrote: »
    I am new to the forum and interested in the amp

can you tell me why there are two sets out speaker terminals for each speaker? is that for bi-wiring each speaker? is this amp considered the older / newer model because the current manual and back drawing on the site only have one set of speaker terminals for each speaker

thanks

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, to answer your question, I actually wondered the same thing when I got the amp. The manual that came with the amp is the same manual that you can find on Rotel's site (with one output terminal for each speaker) so I called Rotel and asked them about it. They said that the 2 terminals for each speaker output the same signal, so you can use either of the two on either side to power your speakers or you can use the extra terminals to bi-wire each speaker.

FYI, I tried bi-wiring and didn't really notice much of a difference at all, but thats just my opinion and I've heard that bi-wiring really depends on your speaker's capabilities as well.

Let me know what you're thinking on the amp - I can get it out the door as soon as you're ready.

Thanks for the interest.

2-channel

Home Theater
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited March 2009
    Options
    For a fast sell try Audiogon.