Looking to upgrade my front speakers...

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Any suggestions? My current system consists of Polk R-15's as my fronts and surrounds, a CSi30 center speaker, and a Sony 50 watt subwoofer. I plan on upgrading the sub in the future, also. But, right now, I'm looking on replacing the fronts. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking about either the R30's, or the RTI28's. I don't want to spend more than $300. My wife is that kind of wife, lol. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Tommy
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok if you want them mathing pefectly, run with the R30's.. Nice small tower and they match the r15's for rears. If you want a speaker on stands and that doesnt match the R series line perfectly but pretty good, go with the Rti28's... But bookshelf wise the Rti38's would be a great main speaker and Circuit city has them for $279.00 + tax, The R30's are actually $359.00 a pair. the Rti28's are only $200.00 but remember the stands will run atleast $50.00

Good luck
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MSkeezer
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks. I might go with the 28's. I've already got stands. I don't really need anything big. I live in a small apartment. I don't know, maybe I will go with the R30's. But I will wait until CC has them on sale again for $99 each. I can't decide. lol.
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ive had and used the Rti28's and they are very nice speakers and at 200.00 bucks you might have a better speaker then the r30's, plus you have the stands. The Rti38's are amazing, I use them as surrounds and when i use the all channel stereo setting they are clear with nice bass. I used the R15's as surrounds even with my large Rti70 mains and they still worked fine so i wouldnt worry to much on the rears, But something better then 15's for front mains would be a big implrovement..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I would suggest the RTi38, and it will timbre match your CSi30 center channel. The prices keep on coming down, and are under $300 now.

This would be a bookshelf speaker that you won't need to upgrade in the future. If you get the larger R series(R30/50) which are great speakers, you may get the upgrade bug again, AND have to convince the wife AGAIN....I feel your pain in this situation.

Move your R15's into surround duty, the timbre difference as a surround is negligible.

Thought about wall mounting them?? I have my RTi38's mounted on the wall with some nice brackets from BTech. This would save your stands for later or for application in another room.

Good luck. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MSkeezer
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably get the 38's. I wish I was able to mount my speakers on the wall, but since I live in an apartment, it's out of the question. Next year, I hope to get a new receiver, and move the the one I have now into the bedroom, which is a Yamaha RXV-430. It's not bad, but I would like something which just a little more power. I was thinking about a Marantz receiver, or even an Onkyo. What would you suggest?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That's a big question. Use the search function for that question, its been hit many times here.

I would certainly pick Marantz over Onkyo.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MSkeezer
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered them online, and I will be picking them up at Circuit City in a little bit, after I take my sister in law to work. I just thought the 38's were a little too expensive. I hope they sound as good as everyone on here, and CC's website, say they are.
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Great choice, although for the $79.00 bucks more you get a larger driver,tweeter and enslosure.. 28's 199.98 and 38's 279.98

The 28's will suit you though i think
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thats a fine speaker, you will enjoy it.
  • Double_S
    Double_S Posts: 56
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You made a good choice IMO going with the Rti's.
  • MSkeezer
    edited July 2003
    Options
    They are really nice. The sound is a lot better than the R-15's. Since I bought them at Circuit City, I'll be able to take them back any time within a year and upgrade to the 38's, thanks to their awesome speaker replacement plan. I'm going to wait until the new line comes out, so the 38's will be much cheaper than they are now.
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    actually this time next year the 38's will be long gone, I assume.. the last update polk did, the speakers were cheap from the previous line and flew off the shelf in a matter of months.. if that on some models. .. that's why people are still searching for cs400i centers, Rt55 bookshelves and Rt600i towers for 200 bucks.. get them while their hot or they will be gone....

I think with what you have do far, the rti28's will suit your needs fine, and if your wife isnt into it that much then she will most likely be suffice with the 28's.. I just went from 28's to 38's and the 38's are much much bigger, i couldnt believe when i installed them on the walls in the rear of my room, wow large and authoritive!!!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MSkeezer
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Now I'm really going to upgrade to the 38's as soon as the price comes down.
  • DynamiteD
    DynamiteD Posts: 48
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Looking at the Fry's add today. They are selling the Polk RTi70's for $460 a pair. You might want to look into it.
    Mains: Paradigm Studio 100's
    Center: Paradigm Studio CC570
    Rear: Paradigm Studio ADP 470's
    Subwoofer: Paradigm Servo 15 v.2
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-59TXi
    Amplification: California Audio Labs
    CL-2500 5X500
    DVD: Integra DPS 10.5
    Hitachi 51S715 51" CRT Rear Projection
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i got the R30's just 2 weeks ago. i'm totally amazed. they are the first high quality speakers i've ever owned. they are fantastic. i was lucky enough to catch a sale at circuit city & get them for $200.

i was alittle worried that they might not make much bass, but forget about it! i've got them 20 inches from the back wall & 25 inches from the side wall. the bass is great. if you've got a sub, even better. i do plan on adding a PSW-404 sometime soon.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.