Question on B&K 1430 amp and heat

Options
peckgary
peckgary Posts: 37
edited July 2003 in Electronics
I have a question regarding my B&K 1430 Series II amp and the heat that it is creating. I have it hooked up to a CS350ls centerchannel and a pair of SDA2B's. In amp is in a stereo cabinet with about 8 inches of clearance on top and the back is open. I temperature seemed to level off at about 125 degrees when checking it with a digital Thermometer. I have used the standard interconnect cable on the SDA2'bs as well as one with an isolation transformer in it and the temperature stays about the same.

Is it normal for the B&K amp to run that warm?

Thanks for your help,

Gary
Post edited by peckgary on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2003
    Options
    While I don't know about the specifics of your amp, I'm curious about a few things though.
    1) Have you tried to run it outside it's current location (middle of the room) to see if the temperature is consistantly warm?
    2) Has it always been this warm or is this a new problem?
    3) Have you called B&K to see what they have to say? (granted, that's probably virtually inviting them to say "Send it to us and we'll check it out", but they may have some sort of generic information for ya.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i have heard about how taxing the SDA's can be on an amp...this might be your problem, or f its not a problem atleast the cause. i know my receiver runs at different temperature based on many different factors, volume, lenght of play, speakers its running, how much air is around it, how hot it is in my room, all sorts of **** theres alot of variables... call B&K and ask if its ok for the amp to run that hot, or if thats normal, if it isnt than attempt to solve it, but theres no sense in trying to fix a problem if its supposed to run that hot. good luck
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited July 2003
    Options
    peckgary, I just went through this similar situation and found my problem being my B & K ST3030 is not a common ground amp. I have replaced my SDA's and now my amp doesnt get hot but only warm. Not sure if that helps but this B & K doesnt run too warm.
    Scott
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It has always seemed warm even when I some LS/FX speakers hooked up, but I never really did pay that much attention to it. My adcom 5500 barely puts out any heat driving the other pair of SDA2's that I have. Just all the reading that I have done on the news group got me curious.

I done some more testing and found that the temp stays about the same whether I have the original SDA cable connected, my home made cable with an isolation transformer in it, or without the interconnect cable connected at all.

I guess I will have to make a trip the stero shop where I bought it and ask my bowling buddy about it. It's nice being the team captain and being able to twist his arm to get good deals :-)

Thanks for the input guys