Help with RTi10's

Options
sdcfan18
sdcfan18 Posts: 95
edited March 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I love these speakers, I really do. For movies, I am hard pressed to find anything that sounds close to these in their price range. It's music that the 10's really struggle with, although this is news to no one. I've done all the tweeking I can to the system itself, and I still find these to be pretty bright.

Can someone tell me if changing something in the crossovers will help with clarity and brings the harsh highs down a bit? The only thing that scares me about changing the crossovers is that I know nothing about them or how they work. That being said, I'm pretty quick to learn about stuff like this, so I don't see it being a huge issue. I just hear all these wonderful stories about people changing their crossovers and finding a night and day difference. Anyone got any advice?

On a side note, anyone have any views on how the RTi A7 vs RTi10 in terms of movies and music?

Thanks in advance
HT RIG

DISPLAY - Samsung 50A550 Plasma
MAINS - polkaudio RTi10
CENTER - polkaudio CSiA6
REARS - polkaudio M20
SUB - D-Box David 303 (looking into SVS & Velo)
AVR - Yamaha HTR-6190
AMP - Emotiva XPA-3 (:D)
SAT/PVR - Bell HD 6141 1TB HDD
BluRay - 60G PS3
DVD - Pioneer 490-V (1080i upconverting)
POWER - Belkin PF31
REMOTE - Harmony 880

PICTURES HERE

A wise man once said "Friends don't let friends buy Bose"
Post edited by sdcfan18 on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,162
    edited February 2009
    Options
    nice looking setup.... When I was auditioning speakers before I got my SDA's, I was just not thrilled with anything for two channel listening, and in fact almost stopped listening to audio almost completely. I am not familiar with what upgrades you might be able to make to the rti line but agree that they are a very bright speaker. My SDA's were very bright as well untill I got my Carver amp to drive them. Perhaps the Emotiva is as bright as the Yammy is...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jacob.simpson
    jacob.simpson Posts: 481
    edited February 2009
    Options
    sdcfan18 wrote: »
    I love these speakers, I really do. For movies, I am hard pressed to find anything that sounds close to these in their price range. It's music that the 10's really struggle with, although this is news to no one. I've done all the tweeking I can to the system itself, and I still find these to be pretty bright.

Can someone tell me if changing something in the crossovers will help with clarity and brings the harsh highs down a bit? The only thing that scares me about changing the crossovers is that I know nothing about them or how they work. That being said, I'm pretty quick to learn about stuff like this, so I don't see it being a huge issue. I just hear all these wonderful stories about people changing their crossovers and finding a night and day difference. Anyone got any advice?

On a side note, anyone have any views on how the RTi A7 vs RTi10 in terms of movies and music?

Thanks in advance

I think its to do with all of the AVRs internal filters and dsps, Try pure direct mode, it helps a lot when i listen i enjoy them for the music. Or only while listening to music in 2 channel, use one of the 4 scene buttons to have this set up of running on only 2 channels with all other speakers set as to none.
  • sdcfan18
    edited March 2009
    Options
    UPDATE!

I've bi-amped them with surprising results. Although it didn't bring the highs down, it brought the mid and lows a little higher closing the gap. Might be in the market for an XPA-5 now. :o

What a wicked hobby this A/V stuff is....:cool:
    HT RIG

MAINS - polkaudio RTi10
    CENTER - polkaudio CSiA6
    REARS - polkaudio M20
    AVR - Yamaha HTR-6190
    BluRay - 60G PS3
    POWER - Belkin PF31
    REMOTE - Harmony 880

PICTURES HERE

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,162
    edited March 2009
    Options
    UPDATE!

I've bi-amped them with surprising results. Although it didn't bring the highs down, it brought the mid and lows a little higher closing the gap. Might be in the market for an XPA-5 now. :o

What a wicked hobby this A/V stuff is....:cool:

plus 1;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Wait until you do the cap mod. ;)
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • Peter Fleming
    Peter Fleming Posts: 49
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Quite simply RTi10's are home theatre speakers and they are pretty good for that purpose.

I had the same issue with the brightness, but also with the lack of mid-range, even though I was using a high end 2 channel amplifier and TT.

I looked at having them modified but in the end I sold them. I am very happy with my new B&W's and wish I had upgraded a lot sooner.
  • NewHTguy
    NewHTguy Posts: 584
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've had similar concerns with my 10's. I find, and I'm not sure this makes sense, that they are less bright when the sub is engaged. Sometimes "pure audio" (no sub) seems to sound better, and sometimes "stereo" (2.1). As a general rule, hard rock and R&B sound better in stereo mode. Having said that, with songs in which the vocals seem to dominate it the 10's can be pretty darn good. Sometimes it sounds like the person is in the room with you. I'm new to this hobby but the brightness seems related to clarity.
    MAIN: Polk Lsi9s; Polk PSW505; Lsic (in box); Onkyo SR-875; Parasound 2250; Cambridge Audio 740C; LG BD370
    OFFICE: Polk Lsi7; REL T3; HK 3490; CA 840W; Onkyo C-S5VL
    BENCHED: CS20; OWM3s
  • Yellowneck
    Yellowneck Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I too have noticed the same issue with my RTi10s.

I used the MIC setup before as I was mainly watching movies but have recently started listening to music in 2 channel stereo. I have sinced foregone the mic setup and have all the sound settings to flat, speakers are set to large so they get a full range signal and my receiver set to bi-amp. This has helped out alot to give my setup better separation and to bring the low-end up almost keeping up with the highs.
    Picture - VZIO Plasma/Source - Panasonic DMP-BD10/receiver - Yamaha RX-V863/Center - CSi40/Fronts - RTi10/Surrounds - T90e(same as monitor 60)
    Sub - Velodyne DLS-3750/Amps- Carver A-705x surrounds and center - Carver TFM-15cb fronts
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I had the same issue with my RTi10s.

At first i had a Harman Kardon AVR-140... decent little receiver but nowhere near the power to push them at higher volume levels.

Finally got an Emotiva UPA-7... harshness at higher volumes decreased but still bright.

Then i bi-amped them.... they did indeed sound better to me but the trademark brightness still there. But then i realized i had 300 WPC at my disposal so i changed the bass to +5 db and trebble to -1 db and boy do they sound awesome, even without a sub. I can turn it up louder than i can possibly tollerate and they sounds 100% awesome.
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Like many people said, you really need to find the right amp for those speakers. I didn't like how my RT speakers sounded with Sony ES receiver (poor highs), Adcom GFA-5400 amp (bright and harsh highs), even with Carver TFM-24 (slightly bright highs). Connecting them to HK Citation amp made a big difference. The highs are very warm now, probably warmer than I actually want them to be, but much better than with Adcom.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,451
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Can someone tell me if changing something in the crossovers will help with clarity and brings the harsh highs down a bit?
    You can add a resistor inline with the positive terminal to help tame down the tweeter [on each speaker] for 2 channel listening. I would suggest a 1 ohm resistor and adjust+- from there to your liking.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Yellowneck
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I just bought a used carver av-705x from ebay and am waiting on it's arrival. I am hoping that this amp will help to tame my highs and bring up my low-end. I have yet to decide if I want to use one channel per speaker in my home theatre setup which consists of 2 RTi10s, 2 monitor 60s, and CSi40 or if I want to bi-amp the RTi10s with two of the channels of the amp and use the remaining channel for my cetner. I guess I will have to wait till it come in the mail then time to have some fun.
    Picture - VZIO Plasma/Source - Panasonic DMP-BD10/receiver - Yamaha RX-V863/Center - CSi40/Fronts - RTi10/Surrounds - T90e(same as monitor 60)
    Sub - Velodyne DLS-3750/Amps- Carver A-705x surrounds and center - Carver TFM-15cb fronts
  • Yellowneck
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Does your Yamaha have any kind of speaker setup feature? I am primarily taking about speaker EQ setting. I noticed that on my receiver there is an eq for each speaker in my setup. I am able to adjust the eq settings for each speaker. I dont have much experience with your particular receiver but it wouldn't hurt to check.
  • BjornB17
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Yellowneck wrote: »
    I just bought a used carver av-705x from ebay and am waiting on it's arrival. I am hoping that this amp will help to tame my highs and bring up my low-end. I have yet to decide if I want to use one channel per speaker in my home theatre setup which consists of 2 RTi10s, 2 monitor 60s, and CSi40 or if I want to bi-amp the RTi10s with two of the channels of the amp and use the remaining channel for my cetner. I guess I will have to wait till it come in the mail then time to have some fun.

I just got a separate amp (emotiva UPA-7) and after playing with it quite a bit, i recommend using your amp's extra channels to bi-amp your speakers rather than use them for surround speakers. Fortunately i have 7 channels so i was able to bi-amp AND use them for side surrounds (rear surrounds powered by receiver), but the fact is that the surround channels just don't get used enough IMO to give them priority over bi-amping.

Since your front left and right channels are in use ALL the time, i'd recommend bi-amping those so you always get to take advatage of its benefits.

The benefits i noticed with bi-amping is that i basically have limitless headroom (i can play much louder than i can tolerate without ever running out of steam) and I think the sound really did improve.
  • Yellowneck
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am more into watching movies which is why I am willing to try the amp in surround mode first. I am just venturing into listening to music. I guess I will see what I like best.
  • BjornB17
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am more into watching movies which is why I am willing to try the amp in surround mode first. I am just venturing into listening to music. I guess I will see what I like best.

Messing around with it and finding what you like best is the best part of the hobby. About 80% of my audio time is watching movies and still arrived at the conclusion i stated above, but of course your tastes will differ. BTW welcome to club polk.
  • sdcfan18
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Does your Yamaha have any kind of speaker setup feature? I am primarily taking about speaker EQ setting. I noticed that on my receiver there is an eq for each speaker in my setup. I am able to adjust the eq settings for each speaker. I dont have much experience with your particular receiver but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Yes it does allow for each speaker to be changed. To be honest, I thought about playing with this, but have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to frequency, so I've left it. Maybe I should look into that a little more...?
    HT RIG

MAINS - polkaudio RTi10
    CENTER - polkaudio CSiA6
    REARS - polkaudio M20
    AVR - Yamaha HTR-6190
    BluRay - 60G PS3
    POWER - Belkin PF31
    REMOTE - Harmony 880

PICTURES HERE

• pablo_rodz
    pablo_rodz Posts: 331
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Nice thread going on here. I have RTi10's as fronts also... To me they sond very good, but I can't wait untill my wife lets me buy an amp.
    Which amps are considered warm? What kind of wpc should I look for in the amp?
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3, (2) ADCOM GFA 555 Bridged, Speakers - LSi 15, LSi C, LSi FX, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250.

Living Room:
    Schiit Saga, Parasound HCA-600, OPPO BDP-103D, LSi7
  • BjornB17
    edited March 2009
    Options
    pablo_rodz wrote: »
    Nice thread going on here. I have RTi10's as fronts also... To me they sond very good, but I can't wait untill my wife lets me buy an amp.
    Which amps are considered warm? What kind of wpc should I look for in the amp?

I got a UPA-7 and it sounds wonderful. I have the RTi10's biamped with it but it's really not necessary.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've heard a number of people complain about brightness issues with Rti tweeters. Probably nothing a good pre-amp/pro match couldn't solve. Experiment and listen to other's experiences. Personally I find my M70s more forgiving of amps and receivers than the tweeters in the higher model Rti-s more robustly designed version. Even running the M70s on a mid-fi receiver like the Onkyo 805 makes them sound fairly musical and sweet, and they image quite well.

I've always felt that if I were to upgrade I would by-pass both the Rti-A5 and 7s (8s and 10s) and go directly to the Rti-A9s? I think that D'appolito configuration and its crossovers, etc., help better deal with this problem..and of course the bass is wonderful.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Yellowneck
    edited March 2009
    Options
    A lot happened this past week and a half. I bought a Carver A-705x which is a 5 channel THX certified amp rated at 125 wrms @ 8ohms all channels driven.

I hooked up each of my four towers to four of the mono outputs on the amp and the last output I used to run my center channel. Watched Tears Of The Sun and it sounded great. Haven't experienced a movie like this in a while. Then I decided to find out what it would sound like in 2 channel audio for listening to music. It sounded alot better than my receiver. So much in so that I decided to Bi-Amp the RTi10s and using the receivers power to drive my surround speakers.

The Bi-Amping made a world of difference. Much more defined bass better seperation and so much clearer and louder(probably because it was clean). This did help to tame down the tweeters considerably. Not as harsh as they were playing off the receiver.

As the audio hobby continues you always want more. Well.....I did not want to use the receiver to power the surrounds and started looking for an amp. I picked up a Carver TFM-15cb locally to me.

Just to see what the RTi10s would sound like with this amp I decided to give it a try. The TFM-15 was to my ears at least 5 times better than Bi-Amping with the other amp. I have the RTi10s Bi-Wired with the TFM-15 and there is a night and day different. Bass is now in the front speakers and the mid's just sing. Stevie Ray Vaughn never sound like this before. All music is now a joy to listen to.

The A-705x is now used to run the center Bi-amped and the t90e's are each using one channel.

If you want to get the best and most out of your RTi10s I highly recommend looking into a good 2 channel amp. Look for at least 100watts RMS per channel the more the merrier. Brands to look for are Carver, Rotel, NAD, Adcom, Hafler, and Acurus just to name a few.