Doc

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,100
edited July 2003 in Speakers
How do those CS245i do in the back on surround duty?
I am not overly satisfied with my CS245i, I find it very non-musical! Very flat sounding, dull, no bass, and etchy highs really. Perfect HT speaker, but not really a good music speaker. How do they perform in music formats back there? Are they easily localized? etc, what made you choose the CS245i over say the RT35i and such?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What made me pick them for rear surrounds?

1) They have the same exact tweeter as the rest of my speaks.

2) They have almost the exact same midrange driver as the rest of my speaks, except it is 5-1/4" instead of 6-1/2".

3) Because of 1 & 2 above, they are an exact timbre match to the rest of my speaks, which is important for HT.

3) They are ported and extend down to 55 Hz (-3 dB) so they can easily handle being high passed at 80 Hz to the subwoofer.

4) They are only 9" deep and sit perfectly on a wrap around bookshelf as opposed to the RT35i which is almost 12" deep and top heavy in comparison.

5) I paid under $150 for each one, and that is not much money for a three-way, three-driver speaker.

6) I only use them for HT and for 7 channel radio and television DSP modes. I don't use them for critical music because I use the 2900 with analog outputs for music and the most channels I use would be 5.1 for SACD and DVD-A.

7) I find them to be perfect as rear surrounds for HT. With two of them in a smaller room, the rear sound stage is large, loud, and solid. And panning on special effects is seamless due to the timbre match.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks man, just curious as I saw you used them! Overly curious i suppose.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC