Questions about f/xi series

Options
PhysicsCoder
PhysicsCoder Posts: 40
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Hello all (first post, be gentle!)

I'm looking to upgrade my surround speakers. Right now I've got a pair of JBL 610's back there...my old front speakers from college. They do a decent job, but the sweet spot in the room is TINY.

I use my setup as a home theater quite a bit, but I also listen to a lot of music. Everything from Classical to metal to classic rock to industrial.

I've been looking at the f/x series speakers. What would people tend to recommend, the f/xi 30 or the 50? I've found that sometimes smaller drivers deliver a tighter response, but Polks always sound tight, so maybe that's moot. Is the slightly better bass response on the f/xi50 -- about 10 Hz lower I believe -- worth the extra money? For front speakers that's a no-brainer, but for surrounds...? (I have a feeling the answer to that will be a resounding "YES!")

Also, are the f/xi50's actually ported???? I've seen varying pictures on various catalogs, some have a bass port on the side with the second tweeter, some do not. The picture here on the polk site has no port, but the pic on Crutchfield does! (All the stores around me either only carry the f/xi30 or don't have the 50's in stock...I've checked).

So there's my question. I've listened to the f/xi30's and they sounded alright, but the "listening room" at CC (ugh!) could not even hope to do them justice. Haven't heard the 50's yet, but I trust that Polk did a good job as usual.

Thanks!

==========

seems to be customary to list one's system, so here goes:

Sony STR-DA2ES 6.1
Front : rt55i :D
Center : cs400i
Surround : jbl 610 (for now)
Surround back : csi30
Monster Cable 14 and 16 gauge all around
If it can be bi-wired, it is :cool:
Post edited by PhysicsCoder on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    PC - I think you would love the FXi30's just as much as the FXi50's.

I listened to both inhouse and chose the smaller ones for some particular reasons of my own. One was they were flat out cheaper. I didn't find any advantage, personally, in having the larger ones. If you factor a subwoofer into the equation, then its really a moot point to buy the larger ones.

Both models are ported. The bass is tight in each model. You can't lose with either of those choices.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    PC - By the way, that is one bad **** receiver you got there :)

I feel like a twin :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PhysicsCoder
    PhysicsCoder Posts: 40
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Why, yes, the receiver is bad-****, thank you! (I've found my long lost stereo twin!) Actually, I just got it recently...figured I owed myself a birthday present (absolute STEAL at $500!). Now that I've got true surround sound, instead of Pro Logic I, I'm starting to notice the back soundstage...so naturally I figure I owe myself a christmas present as well, hence the new surround speakers!

I don't have a sub right now. I may get one later on, but I'm not that much of a bass freak. Besides, the cs400i and the rt55i's produce very nice, clean bass with their six 6" drivers :D. Granted, a sub would fill in the very bottom end, but it's not a priority for me right now.

That's why I was looking at the f/xi50's: I don't have a sub and, yes, I can admit it, bass IS somewhat directional! For movies I really notice the difference when I set my surrounds to "small," and even when I play with the x-over frequency.

I'm really leaning toward the 50's, but I haven't been able to audition them yet. The 30's sounded like they would be great in any room but that god-awful "listening room," and I assume the 50's would sound great as well. So I thought I'd come here and ask people who have heard both.

...but the 30's are cheaper...hmm...

Anyway, thanks for the response, Dorokusai. Any other opinions are most welcome! :)
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    PC - Cool, anytime. Let us know what you end up purchasing.

I absolutely love this Sony ES line, plan on rotating all the old out with new ES items.