Bi-wire Question?

Options
rainman
rainman Posts: 24
I want to bi-wire my rti150's and my csi40 and I dont have a bi-wire kit so I'm going to do it seperately. I have 14 gauge wire right now, do I have to go to a biger wire or can I use all 14 gauge? Will it make a difference? and will I notice a difference?
Just curious, thanks. RAINMAN
Post edited by rainman on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    ok, here goes:

2-14 gauge wires are equivalent to 1-12 gauge wire....
    2-12 gauge wires are equivalent to 1-10 gauge wire....

And so on and so on....

You could always conduct a test and run 2-14 gauge and compare it to 1-12 gauge...most likely you will not hear a difference, and if you do hear a difference, go with whatever sounds best to you....In the end the cost difference is very small...

note: if you run the single wire, remember to replace the brass jumpers with the same gauge wire...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck
    ok, here goes:

2-14 gauge wires are equivalent to 1-12 gauge wire....
    2-12 gauge wires are equivalent to 1-10 gauge wire....
    -BL

Not sure what you mean by equivalent, but the cross-sectional area of two 14 gauge wires is greater than the area of a single 12... and two 12s are more than a single 10.

Regardless of cross-sectional area of the wires, I thought the purpose of bi-wiring was to give the upper and lower frequencies *different* wires.... not that the purpose was simply to increase overall wire cross-section.