Receiver/Amp Set up question

Options
Eastern
Eastern Posts: 43
As you can see, I really need to upgrade the receiver for the system to reach it's full potential. I have settled on a power amp
Odyssey Stratos (or HT3) but the dinky Panasonic receiver doesn't have pre-outs. What I plan to do is get a half decent receiver with pre-outs and hookup the mains (and centre) via the Odyssey/preouts while driving the surrounds with the receivers amplified outputs.

I listen to Music a lot more (and a very limited budget) and therefore more concerned about getting good sound from the mains.

D you think this plan will work? Any suggestions for this half decent receiver with pre-outs?

I do need the receiver to take in DVP/CDP/Playstation2 (so a minimum of 3 digital inputs (preferably optical).

THanks
Post edited by Eastern on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Eastern,

Welcome to the Polk Forum.

It would help us if you gave us some more information.

1) Do you already own the Odyssey amp or is that going to be included in your overall budget?

2) What is your overall budget...you mention something about being on a tight budget.

If you can get the Odyssey amp relatively cheap and want to use a receiver as a pre-pro on a budget, I would look into a refurbished Harmon / Kardon direct from their website.

If your budget allows, forget the amp and listen to some of the Denon models 2803 / 3803. Lots of folks in here running Denon with RT speakers. Marantz would be another choice as there are a few folks running Marantz receivers too. If your budget is $800 - $1200 then I would listen to NAD / Rotel.
  • Eastern
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply PJdami,

My budget is 1600~2000
    I've seen pretty good reviews on the odyssey amps, and really want to have that in my system, I do not have that yet.

I am aprehensive about buying the marantz and NAD as I want to grow my system in the future by utilizing the receiver's preprocessor output. I figure that if I spent 1200 on the odyssey plus 400 on the al-cheapo receiver than I'll get a better system that I can buildon in the future (with more odyssey amps etc)
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Eastern,

Is the Odyssey amp a "MUST" have? For $2,000 man you are talking about flagship TOTL receivers that would mate excellent with your RTi70's. Rotel RSX 1065 would be a killer match.

You could also get into Outlaw seperates or Adcom and have a pre-pro and powerful 5 channel amp at the same price under $2,000 US dollars. But you have to like how they sound.

I always like to think with the end in mind also. If you must have the Odyssey amp and get a cheap receiver for a pre-pro now, what would you eventually upgrade the processor / pre-amp to?
    Also are you planning on upgrading your speakers in the future also? I think the Odyssey may be overkill for the RTi70s. There are plenty of flagship receivers that will and can run the 70s awesomely.

Okay, back to what you really want...the Odyssey.. how many watts / channel is it?

You can get a H/K AVR 520 here for $498:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR%20520-Z

That's about the lowest level I would drop off for a "cheapo" (actually a nice AVR) receiver that I would replace in the future.

It has been my experience that the pre-amp has a more significant sonic signature than the power amp does on one's system. You're kind of going on a backwards approach to this in my opinion. Hey ultimately you do what you want as you should. I think the H/K or a Marantz receiver as a pre-pro would achieve what you are trying to do short-term as others are doing this as well.

I personally have a Rotel RSX 1055 receiver I use as a pre-pro with a Rotel RB 1070 amp that I just got this week to drive my mains and it cost me right around $1600. I got the amp off of Audigon. Sounds awesome.

I think the floodgates have opened man. For $2,000 you are going to get a lot of recommendations on what people would do. Ultimately, if you are in love with that Odyssey amp though and have to have it people are going to have to give you advice on what path they would take. But at the same time, you are going to get plenty of other options as I have presented.

Paul
  • Eastern
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hi pjdami,

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I was just fixated with odyssey. Here's the web site :

http://www.odysseyaudio.com

And the reviews :

http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/Odyssey+Audio/MPL_714_1583crx.aspx

You definitely have given me a lot of options now. I was stuck with the panasonic for too long and really can't stand the RTi70 wheezing anymore. ANd want a quick fix that will allow me flexible upgrade in the future.

I am a layman and a new comer when it comes to the finer details of audio thanks for your patience...Didn't learn much when I was in Panasonic obviously, although MLP was my proudest work there.

You mentioned that the pre-pro has big impact on the sound quality...I didn't know that ... looks like it's back to what I have read so much about...do it right or don't do it at all.

Pardon my ignorance, are there any pre-pro only receivers? I feel kind of a waste to use a rotel and marantz with good amps in them for pre-pro only.

Thanks a lot for your advice, keep them coming, I have a lot to learn and need more avenues of exploration.

Thanks!!
    :p
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Eastern,

WOW! The Stratos is a killer amp; I wish I could hear it! 106 consumer reviews and a 4.98 / 5.0 rating on audioreview. Very impressive. 20 year warranty you only usually get with something way more expensive too.

Here's a Soundstage Review:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/odysseyaudio_stratos.htm

I can see why you want this amp, but you are not going to get the killer results with a budget receiver used as a pre-pro. You will not get the full potential of this amp I'm afraid. That's okay for short term if you want to get a dedicated preamp / processor in the future like a Rotel 1066, B&K Ref 50, Anthem, Outlaw 950, there are a lot of choices here.

Then again, you may just be thrilled with the results because of the significant upgrade you are making coming from the Panasonic. Ultimately, decisions like this are difficult to make because you are going to get a lot of different opinions and advice on what to do.

If it were me though, I would stick with a flagship receiver for the speaker setup you currently have and be done with it. Rotel 1055, 1065, Denon 3803/4802, Marantz, NAD T762 would do the RTi70's some serious justice.

I'm going to shut up for now and let others chime in on this one.
  • Eastern
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Just checked out the Rotel site, they have a Preamp-Processor RSP1098 complete with TFT display!!

Outlaw 950 is also a preamp processor.

Also the outlaw 1050 seems a good price for me.

Anyone else have these?

What are your comments/suggeestions.
  • Eastern
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Great pjdami! I was beginning to get swayed by your advice on a TOTL receiver instead of the Odyssey and now you say
    "WOW! The Stratos is a killer AMP" ... Now I really have to get this amp. Maybe I'll open up the Panasonic receiver and do the mods to bring out the preamps to hookup to the stratos. ( I am good that way) And than save up for the Rotel Preamp-Processor.
    I'll get my screw drivers and see how difficult it will be...
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Eastern,

I have no experience with this Stratos amp. I'm only basing that I read enough that the amp is worthy of a demo. You really should listen to it first but of course it will sound better than the Pany you got for a receiver right now. I don't think anyone here is going to recommend you modifying your Panasonic receiver with no current preouts to run this amp. If you're an EE or have a strong electronics background you might be able to pull it off but I wouldn't do it personally. Panasonic is not known for their audio know how when it comes to receivers.

Remember too in order to have home theater (5 - channels) with a dedicated preamp you are going to need more amps too. And you should also match the wattage of the other amps too. So this is going to be the expensive route in the long run.

A flagship receiver, Outlaw seperates, Adcom seperates, all this you can get under $2,000. This is one option and the one that I would explore.

The H/K or Marantz for $500 and the Stratos amp for your mains would be your other choice. You should also factor in the cost of decent interconnects too.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i can tell you how to do it cheap but i dont know how it will sound. you can get the gitegs that turn a out from a amp and turn it into a pre amp sigonal. they are used in car audio to hook a amp up to a stock car system. or choice 2 i will be putting my recever up on the choping block. onkyo 787 will be asking 500+ ship and i still have the extenced warente on it. it has 2 optical and 2 coxal imputs 7.1 imputs and outs.that is if i cant sell it to my sister. but i dont know if her other half will want it. in my family i tend to set the bar and everyone trys to 1 up me. so he might want sothing beter.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Great stuff. I didn't ask about pricing and am now shocked at the relatively low price. The room sounded superb.
    If you can't do the mod I'd suggest a cheap used receiver with the pre-outs to get you by until you are willing to get a quality pre/pro worthy of that (and an additional) amp. Nothing in particular jumps to mind, but I'll keep an eye out.

I just hope you realize also that the Odyssey will make you want to update your speakers too.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i can tell you how to do it cheap but i dont know how it will sound. you can get the gitegs that turn a out from a amp and turn it into a pre amp sigonal. they are used in car audio to hook a amp up to a stock car system.

I tried this once, in a car stereo system I had. JVC receiver with no preouts running to one of these guys to get a line level signal then to a Fosgate Punch amp. I didn't care for the results. Sounded compressed and distorted. Got a Denon car cd player with preouts..much much better.

Something about amplifying a signal then trying to get it back to a line level and then reamplifying just doesn't seem to be the best solution for me at least. It is cheap but it wouldn't do that Odyssey amp justice.

P.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Actually its not reamplifieing the signal, it just converts the actual connector from line level to RCA out, No real technology there, it may have adjustments just to turn down the level so you don't overdrive your amp your going into, I wouldn't suggest this for Home audio though, do it right.. much better results will be achieved
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Eastern
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Been doing a little tinkering, it doesn't seem difficult to bring the pre-outs out of the Pany. But I am not sure of the result until I plug it on to the amp.

Yeah, I guess I'll live with this for a while till I can afford the pre-pro. I don't think it will sound great just like you said, but I am pretty hopeful than it is right now. :p

As for pre-pro / speakers upgrade, I am pretty sure I'll convince myself that it still sound aweful and REALLY need those upgrades. But Mrs Eastern has pretty much put her feet down on a house upgrade before I am allowed to spend anymore money on audio stuff after the AMPs...:(

I'll update when I get the Odyssey amps and have them hooked up in a month or so.

Thanks for the great suggestions.