Tears of the Sun

Options
PETERNG
PETERNG Posts: 918
edited July 2003 in Music & Movies
Just pick up one from CC at lunch today for $15.99, look like is a great DVD, DD 5.1, WS but no DTS. BB has it for $17.99 but they will match CC price. Any one watch this one on the bid screen yet?

And how about the new DVD: "THEY", I know nothing about this movie, it's out today too.
Post edited by PETERNG on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Picked it up today along with Robin Hood: Prince of Theives and Dante's Peak.

Looking forward to TotS, I haven't seen it yet. I avoided it in theaters knowing it looked like a cookie cutter type rescue/war film.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Tears got pissed on over at Rotten Tomatoes. I'll rent it first.

Ron/Peterng - I'd be interested to hear your opinions, regardless, thanks.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • PETERNG
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I gave a B- rating for this movie; at least Bruce Willis did focus on his role (he always a better actor if he does it). It's a touching story with human feeling blending in a war story, as a soldier, you are suppose to take order, but under this difficult circumstance, human feelings took over and Bruce (LT, commander of the Seal team) try to do the right thing. I kinda like it, I think this DVD will do better if it offer DTS track, but the DD 5.1 did do a decent job, the surround track for rear channel are clear and subtle, excellent vocal track for center channel.

The title of this movie is suppose to be" Men of war", but it was changed at the last minute, Tears of the sun is the proposed title for Die Hard 4, but something happened at the last minute, Bruce didn't take the role for DH4 (3 city cops got stuck in the Amazon as they try to survive and who know what happens next...)

If you're a victim of war, I will recommend you stay away from this movie, it will bring back your bad memories. Cheers
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Think I might just rent this one. I'm gonna put my money on the "Old School/Road Trip" dual pack at B.B. for $25. Two very funny movies.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • thajones
    thajones Posts: 30
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Rented it yesterday, it was an okay movie, not enough action early enough IMHO, and certain situations had me AND the Mrs. screaming at the people to do "this" or "that" and calling them, uh, intellectually challenged.

Bruce played the role just as you would expect, sneers and serious looks coming quite naturally.

Surround mix was decent, I thought, but I was hoping for a DTS setup.
    Denon 1803 Receiver
    Denon HDCD CD player and DVD Player
    DTV HD Tivo Recorder
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Kimber Kable
    48 inch Magnavision HD projection
    Polk CS350 center channel
    Polk RT10s
    Polk RT/fx
    AR 12" slot loaded sub

(Mirage Omnisat system almost complete)
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    My turn to chime in on this one. I saw it in the theater and was actually supprised. It was not too bad of a movie...a little on the hollywood side, but all in all not half bad. It's not quite up to par with the greats...(SPR, BHD, BOB, WWS)...but it comes fairly close. I was expecting a really good soundtrack but boy was I wrong. The use of surrrounds has got to be one of the best in any war movie I've seen to this day, however, with all of the grenades, explosions, hellicopter, planes and action, I was expecting a lot more from the seemingly non existant LFE.

A decent movie like this is just begging for a great LFE track but it is no where to be found...if anyone else finds it, please let me know and send it over to me. I was truely disapointed to hear the great surround mix with a non existant LFE track...oh well, maybe on the next edition...heh

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • PETERNG
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm supprise to hear the report about non-LFE track. My DVD disc works fine with good LFE track via my JBL S120PII sub, shake the heck out of my bedroom sometimes. I have not try this with my living room system where I have the Polk PWS-1200 sub, you need to check your system or check the disc. Any one experience the same problem like BL? However, I think they will release the SP version in the near future with the DTS-ES track. The DTS-ES track on the new Bond movie is sure more powerful in compare to this movie track.
  • thajones
    thajones Posts: 30
    edited June 2003
    Options
    My sub was kickin' on this movie.
    Denon 1803 Receiver
    Denon HDCD CD player and DVD Player
    DTV HD Tivo Recorder
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Kimber Kable
    48 inch Magnavision HD projection
    Polk CS350 center channel
    Polk RT10s
    Polk RT/fx
    AR 12" slot loaded sub

(Mirage Omnisat system almost complete)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    rented tonight, will watch this week. and also biker boyz..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Rented and watched tonight.

This movie was pretty engaging and affecting. Much better than Collateral Damage, for example. Tried to make a political statement and largely succeeded.

Transfer was gorgeous - no grain, no artifacts, deep black levels, and excellent detail without edge enhancement.

Audio was also excellent. Worked very well in DD-EX Matrix mode, although it was not advertised as such. Surround use was fabulous - bravo Dolby Digital.

Bass was deep, strong, and forboding during much of the first hour. The battle scene could have been cooked a bit hotter on the LFE channel, but the depth and timbre of the explosions was certainly all there. Clicking up the sub one or two notches worked perfectly.

Hans Zimmer's fingerprints are all over the music score (along with Lisa Gerrard) and there was also some extremely deep and powerful bass during the credits. I cranked it up to Reference Level and it simply pressurized the room and my eardrums - very nice.

Different and much better than I expected. 7.5/10

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    agreed, We loved the surround effects in this movie.. and one part of the movie it had a steady bass rumble(can't remember part) and it was shaking my feet on the coffee table. Loved it and good overall movie, wish i would have had my new RTi38's i scored tonight just one day earlier for this movie..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    agreed, We loved the surround effects in this movie.. and one part of the movie it had a steady bass rumble(can't remember part) and it was shaking my feet on the coffee table. Loved it and good overall movie, wish i would have had my new RTi38's i scored tonight just one day earlier for this movie..

OK, you've got your rear surrounds out of the way. Time for those FXi50's you've been dreaming about to make full use of your very fine Integra. C'mon - you're worth it.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Don't temp me, please...... haha!! CC is closeing out these suckers and the price is right, so tempting..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Don't temp me, please...... haha!! CC is closeing out these suckers and the price is right, so tempting..

No better time! Two months from now the bill will be paid and you'll wonder why you held out for so long when you are living in DD-EX and DTS-ES glory.

Doc

SVS
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Received the DVD from one of my sons for FD, a neat present. Watched the movie and yea I liked it, felt it did send a message about why USA does go places that nobody seems to want us at.
    I thought the soundtrack was well done and watched in DTS, seemed to have plenty of info on the LFE as my twin 450's were thumping pretty well in the main battle scene.

Faster,

I love my FX50i and paid alot more than CC closeout price!!!
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hey Reel,

I got this one from one of my sons for a FD present also. Only watched about half so far - watching the other half tonight.

I don't think this one is available in DTS, only DD, correct?
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well. I found out why there was no lfe during this movie...heh My subs amp came disconected from my tempest driver...

I feel like a nOOb...oh well, ya live and learn and sometimes teach yourself. So I re-watched this movie and now have nothing to complain about. I guess that is the first thing I should have checked.

Later,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • PETERNG
    edited June 2003
    Options
    As Doc mentioned, the music track in this movie is absolutely beautiful.
  • PETERNG
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    Hey Reel,

I got this one from one of my sons for a FD present also. Only watched about half so far - watching the other half tonight.

I don't think this one is available in DTS, only DD, correct?

that's correct, no DTS track, only DD 5.1, but it's good.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yep my bad on my previous post, only DD, I was thinking of Die another Day on the DTS. Still Tears had a great soundtrack, dont know why some folks slammed it, I guess if you dont like Willis, but I liked it. And yea a great FD present. Nice to see my young ones supporting my habit.
    :):D;):p
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I did not like this movie at all. I cannot begin to express my many problems with this film, just no need.

Rating: C-

Soundtrack as mentioned was quite good, sniper scene had impact. Multiple bass tracks that extended beyond scene.

I wish they could have stopped even more times, while being pursued, and have long dramatic talks about their situation. <sic>

Why on earth would his commander talk OUTSIDE on the deck of an aircraft carrier, on the phone, WHILE jets are landing??!! :mad:

Most of the plot extensions of this movie were just ridiculous. What was worse than seeing this movie in the theatre, is buying the DVD thinking it was going to be good. Ugh, I am such a sucker sometimes, :rolleyes:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cscsDanny
    cscsDanny Posts: 30
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Excellent buy, well worth owning.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
    DVD PLAYER: Sony DVP-NC655P
    Mains: Bi-Amped Polk Rt1000i
    Surrounds: Bi-Wired Polk Rt55i
    Center: Bi-Wired Polk Cs400i
    Subwooofer: SVS PB1

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai

Why on earth would his commander talk OUTSIDE on the deck of an aircraft carrier, on the phone, WHILE jets are landing??!! :mad:

I have to admit that although I thought the movie was pretty good, this is a good point.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688