Shawn Mullins and Angie Aparo

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited July 2003 in Music & Movies
I have been listening to some CDs that Hoosier 21 (Russ A.) sent my way.

I have Eggshells and Soul's Core from Mullins and Out Of Everywhere and The American from Aparo.

I had some previous experience with Mullins from his two hits "Shimmer" and "Lullaby" from Soul's Core. I had no previous experience with Aparo.

Mullins has a simple folksy approach and seems to talk more than sing sometimes, but he has a great voice nevertheless. His songs are simple yet earnest and heartfelt and they all tell some type of story about his past or someone he has met, etc.

He plays the acoustic guitar beautifully and the CDs are exceptionally well recorded. The acoustic version of "Shimmer" on Eggshell's just blows me away.

I wouldn't hesitate to take Mullins on a road trip because it's so easy to get lost in his music and let the miles drift by - this is high quality, low impact music that just makes you imagine each story in your mind's eye.

Now Aparo is a different story. Here is a darker, deeper artist with a more abstract quality to his work. His music hits harder and you have to work a bit when listening to Aparo as the meanings of his songs are not readily apparent. He has a unique voice that on occasion soars and can give you the chills when he hits a note just right. If you watched American Idol at all, Aparo and finalist Clay Aiken sound similar (no surprise as Aparo is one of Aiken's idols). Aparo hits hard on the emotional scale and he is an earnest performer that reaches out a grabs you by the collar and forcibly draws you into his world.

Aparo clearly comes into his own on The American, and his voice is noticeably more developed and refined as compared to Out Of Everywhere. Still, both releases are meritorious.

In summary, I am wearing out all these CDs and I thank Hoosier for turning me on to these two great artists. This is high quality music for discriminating adults, not the glitzy shallow pop **** polluting the airwaves lately. You owe it to yourself to check these releases out (particularly Soul's Core and The American) and expand your music horizons.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Man, Great review, but your last comments struck a chord.

Mullins was completely sucked into the mainstream, chewed up, and spit out. What he's "known" for is not all of what he is. I'm not really a fan of his, but I do respect the guys music.

Thats been quite a trend in music today. You write a hit or two, get super famous for a year, maybe.......and then drop off of the mainstream. This isn't true in all cases, some crap bands have staying power....I don't know why, but they do....It's often attributed to the right marketing core and the right people pushing your music. Anyhow.....

If you're looking for a bulk of honest music...you need to look even further past the likes of Sean Mullins. The "Indie" scene in music is absolutely saturated with fantastic artists who actually hold truth and honesty in their art to heart. I tend to find that kind of music much more appealing than the band who just sets out to write "hits". There is nothing wrong with doing that, all musicians have the right to make a buck however they choose, but to me music should be honest and I think you can tell when it is.

I think it's nice that you'd consider Sean Mullins a great step in broadening peoples musical horizions, but I think that you haven't even begun to scratch the surface of talented and honest artists.

So, in closing...I'd just like to say that I think that the "mainstream" of music today is in a VERY sad state. I think that most of the music isn't very good. It's not to say that I don't respect those who make the music, it's just that I think were not getting the best of whats out there. It's not some corporations fault either....it's ours. I'd love to turn you guys onto some new bands or individual artists to check out. I've actually tried once or twice, but nobody seemed to have any motivation.....

....see why it's out fault?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Your welcome Dr., always like to send these two guys out and see if anybody likes what I like. Only one bonehead so far doesn't like Angie Aparo, all have liked Shawn Mullins.

Hey Dr. Spec., on Eggshells (the song) the water jug thing at the begining, soes it have any real deep bass to it? On the SVS sub, does it have a lot of impact?

Demiurge, good points on the sad state of music. You are correct, most of it sucks. But you have sparked my interest.

1. "Mullins was completely sucked into the mainstream, chewed up, and spit out." What does this mean? I think he got signed and changed his music (Under the Velvet Sun) and I don't really care for it. I like his earlier releases much better. Can you tell me what you are talking about here.

2. "but I think that you haven't even begun to scratch the surface of talented and honest artists" Please give some arists for me to try out. I need some fresh stuff.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What does this mean? I think he got signed and changed his music (Under the Velvet Sun) and I don't really care for it. I like his earlier releases much better. Can you tell me what you are talking about here.

Sure...What I mean is that he had a hit, got the fame, and was pretty muched dropped off the face of earth. Sure, you're still a fan, and so were a bunch of others, but my point is that if he doesn't keep producing these so-called 'hits' he is essentially worthless to the mainstream. I understand that an artist can start to suck, but thats not usually why they get yanked out of the limelight....it's because they're not doing what someone else wants them to do....and that is repeat another version of their hit songs...which in this case is 'lullabye' over and over again. I just don't see much variety in music today, and it's because people aren't willing to let an artist grow on them. It has to be a first listen hit on the radio to have any staying power. I think thats wrong, but it's our fault.

Ok, in no particular order off the top of my head:

Artist Listed First - Album Listed Second

Starlight Mints - Built On Squares

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium (This is Heavier 'Rock')

American Analog Set - Promise Of Love

Clearlake - Cedars

Clearlake - Lido

Cursive - Domestica

Eels - Shootenanny

Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrott

The Fruit Bats - Mouthfulls

Grandaddy - Sumday

Hot Hot Heat - Make Up the Breakdown

Jets To Brazil - Four Cornered Night

The Rentals - 7 More Minutes

Mogwai - Rock Action

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib

Outrageous Cherry - Supernatural Equinox

Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane Over The Sea

The Decemberists - 5 Songs

Modest Mouse - Sad Sappy Sucker

Modest Mouse - Build Nothing Out Of Something
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Hey Dr. Spec., on Eggshells (the song) the water jug thing at the begining, soes it have any real deep bass to it? On the SVS sub, does it have a lot of impact?

I can't decide which I like better, Eggshells or Soul's Core. Eggshells is more introspective and less mainstream - they are both awesome.

Anyway - yes - "Eggshells" (the song) has quite deep bass with some decent room pressure from that "water jug thing".

There is a tune on Soul's Core with an artifically enhanced kick drum that is also very deep and strong. I'll check on that if you want.

I love my SVS - it quite simply excels on music. It is SO tight, clean, and natural sounding. It brings a tear to my eye with its accuracy and nuance. It totally enhances any musical experience.

I had been heavy into HT, but since my recent upgrades (3803, 2900, M1.4, Signal Cable) music has taken on a completely new meaning in my life and I'm simply digging all formats, especially DVD-A and SACD. But even CD is stunning on the 2900. I'm loving it all.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Please let me know what you think. I'd hate to think I made that list for nothing.