Fuzzing RT600i......

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited June 2003 in Speakers
Does anyone know what would be causing a "fuzzing" sound, like distortion, with my speaker that I just bought from the Flea Market forum, other than it's completely effed up?
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Describe what your hearing? Gargling? Crackling? Fuzzing? What is fuzzing? Like a ruffling sound? If it is a staticy sound, check your connections.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    tHose the speakers ATC sold??? I would ask him??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Where is it coming from, midbass or tweeter? Does it happen on all sources? If you swap left and right cables, does it follow the cable, or stay with the speaker?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    midbass

Stays with the speaker.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Did it just start happening? Driven hard recently?

If you feel comfortable removing the bezel, swap the midbass with the other speaker. If it stays with the midbass driver, that will rule out the crossover.

(when you remove the speaker, you can double check internal connections, but it sound like the vc is rubbing = time for a new driver)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Like I said, I just bought them off of here. I just hooked it up tonight and tried watching a movie. It was subtle at first, then I switched to 2 channel and put in an Audio CD. It was really bad.

It sounds like a tear in the cone and the air passing through. Thats the only thing I could compare it to. I'm not saying thats what it is because there is no noticable tear or cut.

Is it possible the connection to the speaker inside of the tower could be messed up?

I know I should just wait till Sean contacts me, but I'm not mad at him or anything, just dissapointed that there is a problem. I know he's a stand up guy. I paid an assload for shipping and I just don't want the headaches. The worst case scenario is that i'd be stuck with one speaker...not much I can do with that. Unless there are replacement parts that can be purchased.
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    most certainly parts are available.. they just stopped selling these speakers.... sounds to me like a VC burnt up, does it sound subtle at low volume then get worse as you increase volume??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yeah. The Bass is what really kills it.

I'm serious though. I didn't put any juice in them at all....I mean, my recierver only throws out 100W a channel and I wasn't even close to 1\4 max volume. So yeah.

Well, Shall I bust out the hex set and examine the interior of it? I can make repairs myself. I'm pretty mech. inclined....I'm not saying I'll be able to diagnose, but it seems like you guys are willing to help, and I appreciate it.

Like I said though....I'll talk to Sean and see if he knows anything about it. I'm not sure that he ever used them.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    hehe, I must have been posting when you were writing.

Well, lets just say UPS does suck....The boxes were battered and the corners were a little dented. Like I said, I know it's not your fault and I'm not blaming you. I know the risk involved in shipping speakers that size through UPS.

I was just trying to find out if you knew if something was up, and I'll take you at your word that they were fine. I still think that I shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed, and neither should you. That should be UPS' job, but I think were going to have a hard time convincing them that they caused internal damage when there is little external.

If you file a claim file it for the max amount that the speakers are worth.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks Sean

Ok, Well here it is guys.

I took the speaker out, you know the large one, not the tweeter.

Anyhow...I noticed before I took it out that when I apply some pressure on the right side of the cone that it sounds normal and the "distortion" goes away.

I proceded to take it out and the side that I have to press down on is totall bent away from the metal cylinder. I'll take some pics if I can, but I have nowhere to host.

Is this a warranty thing or not?
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well, I bent tha **** back and now she works.

I'm satisfied now and am confident everything is A-OK. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    but how did it get bent? inside... it may work now but will it fail later after already not working correctly? and having to "bend" it to make it work right..... Huh
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Sean came home from a long days work. Drunk as crap. He pulled off the grill. Pulled out his allen wrench and screw driver. He pulled out the 6.5" woofer, and took all his anger out upon its diaphram. Then persisted to sell it in the flea market, where as Dem. bought them and found Sean's case of *Anger Management*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If it was insured I might still file a claim if it's not too late. Demi's fix may be temporary.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I sent an email to Polk's CS department and got an email from Lauren saying that if it goes bad I could send it in. I don't have a proof of purchase though, I don't have that anywhere.....I prolly should have gotten the reciept too, right?

I'll email Sean about it at some point.

I'm quite perplexed as to how something like that got bent out of shape. I mean, It wasn't exactly easy to put back in place. I did it carefully and without any damage from what I could tell.

I'll bet it was a little "bent" when it left the Polk factory because I only had to put a small amount of pressure on the cone for it to sound the way it should. I'll bet UPS' box tossing contests helped work it even more out of place.

I'm willing to give it a shot for now, and replacing it later if necessary.

These aren't going to be my mains for that long. I'll be moving these to the rear and getting a CSi40, and Rti70's.
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't care how hard UPS threw them, it wouldn't bend the frame of the speaker much less inside, without some evidence outside.. as it has the bezel that kinda protects the woof, musta been from the factory.. maybe the buzz was caused by ups rough housing, but not th bent frame unless the speakers were smashed... which thier not

Do a claim like Gidrah said, they seem to hook people up, it's called unseen damage or something like that, its when damage accurs and no damage to the box is evident
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,659
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Demi,

Sent you off another E-mail.

Proof of purchase was attached to the original box, when I went to remove it from the tape *with excited dumb haste* the thing ripped in half. Under the impression I wasn't going to sell these anytime soon , I threw it out! DOH!

I believe however, you are right on the money with your projection of what had occured. Unfortunately, this issue may not be blatant enough for UPS to honor.

Does Lauren absolutely need this proof of purchase?

ATC-
    You ordered these on the same CC deal that I did (and a bunch of other members) right?
    The paper on the outside of the box is just the shipping receipt. I would think your proof of purchase would be the confirmation email you got from CC.
    I print and save all of mine, just in case. Hopefully if you didn't you can still find it in your inbox.
    Just a thought.........
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited June 2003
    Options
    What is needed to use the POLK 5 year warrenty. Do you need to register them with Polk, can CC pull their records and be able to get you copies of the orig purchase.

I dont need anything right now but would like to know for the future.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    CC has been running commercials saying that they will/do provide all your warranty information for return/repair. I have not used it, so am unsure of the actual particulars.

The Polk website states that you don't have to register to receive warranty support. It is probably in your best interest to do so, in case of a recall, information, special offers, etc.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Really unfortunate I recieved some 600's from Circuit City (yes only 200$) and had no problem if you refer to polk's warranty they cover original owner and become void if sold. You would have to have Sean send speaker back.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    This has all been handled. Thanks for all of your help.

Sean is a great seller, buy with confidence. None of this was his fault.