Bridging Amps to SDA's

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited April 2003 in Electronics
OK... so I either figure out H2 bridge the M1.5's or I buy bridgable other model Carvers. But with two amps bridged to mono, I would no longer have "common ground" amps.

So how do I hook them to SDA's?:confused:
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    You've got to use the AI-1 Non-Common Ground Amplifier Interface cable. If your SRS's are s/n 5001 or above you can do this, but the trick is going to be finding one. Maybe Ken has one stashed somewhere or you can build one, I have the specs somewhere, let me find it and I'll send it to you. Sorry bro, you can't have mine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Options
    But I might get a look at it in a week or so...mixed-smiley-008.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    You've got mail and don't bet on it.......;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Bi-amping is a very good alternative to bridging.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1,
    Phuleez... I want to see that new Sony ES to boot... I'll be good.
    angel-smiley-006.gif

Madmax,
    I'll likely do both before it's all over...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I've ran my Denon Poa 6600's with my SDA's for 10 years now by running a jumper between the negative speaker terminals on the amps. This info was given to me by the denon reps. I don't know if it will work for you on yours though. No problems. I learned about common ground amps the hard way when I brought the denon's home and hooked them up without reading my Polk manual. The resulting noise from my speakers gave me a heart attack! No damage though.
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    How do you like those Denon's? What are you using for a pre?

President of Club Polk

• kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm very satisfied with my 6600's. I bought them from a stereo store in PA as B-stock in 92 I believe for $750 for the pair. I kicked myself for not getting another pair to bi-amp with. I used a HK Citation to power the top end of my speakers which is also a great amp IMO for the money. I sold the HK to a friend before I moved and later got a Soundcraftsman to power the bottom end. It did the job but wasn't quite what I wanted as the fan was a little noisy. The preamp I was using was an Adcom 565. I was very happy with it. That extra pre-outs on the back made bi-amping simple. It was quiet and clear. Lately I decide to go home theater and made some bad decisions in the process. I figured I'd get a rcvr and use the pre-outs so I could keep the 6600's. I went with a Denon 1802 and now I know I should have spent some extra money for a better 2 channel sound quality. I had also sold my California Audio Labs CD player and bought a Panasonic DVD. With all of those changes the sound just isn't close to what it was. So, thanks to my addiction to Ebay I bought another Citation 2 weeks ago that also came with the preamp. Then last week a pair of Denon POA 4400's, this week I "accidently" bought a POA 5000, AVP 5000 preamp, and a tuner! I didn't mean to get all of this crap and I don't need it but I think this is how the setup will go: Denon 6600's for the bottom end and 4400's for the tops of my main speakers. The POA 5000 will bridge 3 channels (I believe) and that will run the center and rear surrounds. I'll use the tuner but I may not use either preamp unless I decide to keep the Citation and put a smaller system in another room. The 1802 is going away....somewhere. Is anyone confused because I know I am! To answer your original question, I wouldn't part with the 6600's, I've never had any problems with them and they sound great. The Adcom 565 is nice too. Mitch
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Mitch...

How's things at Brunswick NAS?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut