Lsi -Worth the upgrade ?

Options
begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited March 2003 in Speakers
Help ! I've got upgradeitis !!

Here's my current setup - rt800i, cs400i, fx500i with an h/k receiver.

Couple of options to consider

1. sell the rti lineup (probably to my neighbour) and upgrade to the Lsi 15 for fronts , Lsi center, Lsifx

2. keep the rti line and go for a 2 channel setup dedicated for music listening only. Thinking Lsi9 with a sub.

If I go for option 1- is it really woth the effort and results ? Frank ?

About option 2- i must admit, I really want the lsi for music results.

Price is always a factor and I've considered changing to separates as well.

Any help appreciated. Thanks !

:confused:
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If the RT line does what you need it to in HT, leave well enough alone.

Go 2ch LSi, and go BIG. That's my $.10, my $.02 is free.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    If the RT line does what you need it to in HT, leave well enough alone.

Go 2ch LSi, and go BIG. That's my $.10, my $.02 is free.

agreed! save some cash and use the h/k as a pre/pro and add a seperate amp. When I bought my amp and split my h/k I noticed a huge delta... Its a hobbie right? You have not reached the point of diminishing returns for your RTi line so hang onto them and try to make them sound better.

HBombed
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I concur. Buy an amp first. Then consider the jump to LSi.
  • begbie
    edited March 2003
    Options
    fireshoes and hbomb - not even option 2 ??
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't know. I've never had a just a dedicated 2 channel rig for music only. I'd just rather have one nice system, so option 2 wouldn't really be a consideration for me. It's your preference there amigo.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What amp/preamp or reciever would you be using for this 2ch rig?

If you have the money to do a 2ch rig (components, room, wire & cable) and get an opportunity to sit back and listen to the music, then I say go for it. If not, then consider the law of dminishng returns and enjoy what you have.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    My opnion is this,
    think about your Home Theater performance,if you feel it's lacking,desire better fidelity,then Lsi could be in your future.If money is a concern,then I will agree with going with another 2 channel only system for music.
    That option isn't always practical if you haven't the room for another system or like to use the same room for both.
    Just remember that Lsi brings on upgrading almost everything.Most receivers are not capible of running them.

Lsi in my opnion out performs the rt series in every way.I made the move,I had a complete rt series home theater 7.1
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had the same RTi set up as you except I had RT35i in the rear. I upgraded to LSi 15 front's, LSiC, & LSi FX rears. The difference was noticible from day one! It was a costly upgrade but well worth it to me. The LSi have a wider sound stage & are much more transparent. I do alot of movie watching & listen to some 2 chanel music. I enjoy the LSi more than my RTi set, Isnt that what it about! Enjoying what you listen too!
  • begbie
    edited March 2003
    Options
    How about a 5ch. amp to get things started off? At least things will be in place for maybe the Lsi's.

However, how will an amp improve sound quality of the current rti- lineup instead of let's say " rocking the house"? Will you be able to acheive small details, and subtle nuances ??
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by begbie
    How about a 5ch. amp to get things started off? At least things will be in place for maybe the Lsi's.

However, how will an amp improve sound quality of the current rti- lineup instead of let's say " rocking the house"? Will you be able to acheive small details, and subtle nuances ??

I think thats a pretty good idea. And in my opinion yes, the RTi's will sound better with a seperate amp (what do you have now?) - but the difference between receiver and seperate amp will be more noticeable when you get the LSi.
  • begbie
    edited March 2003
    Options
    phuz

I'm running an H/K receiver which is like 50 watts in stereo mode and I must admit it goes quite loud for the room i have. However, I'm looking for more fidelity then power.

I'm guessing amps are still able to bring out the subtle details ?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • debussyj
    debussyj Posts: 198
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hi,

I know how you feel as I'm just starting my upgrade madness. I recently dumped my RT-600's and got a pair of LSI 15. I am so happy and pleased with them I cannot tell you! In two channel, it's like the whole room opened up with sound. My next step is to upgrade my Marantz SR-880 receiver with the Marantz SR-9200 and pump some more watts into these babies. Then I will upgrade the center, subwoofer and rears. The upgrade is worth it to me because I do alot of two channel listening and really enjoy the new front speakers. What a pain though in the pocketbook!! Hey all it takes is money, right?? Good luck!!

Colleen