Small vs. Large - Filter Points, Speaker Size, and LFE Pre-Out Level

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited March 2003 in Speakers
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128352

A very informative and decent discussion going on over at HTF about the whole large vs. small issue with recommended filter points for various size speakers.

There is also an aside about the recommended LFE pre-out setting and the associated LFE pre-amp distortion levels, which has been getting some attention at Club Polk lately.

The Outlaw ICBM allows different filter points for each connected speaker - it's a really nice piece of hardware if you are running good sized (but not true full range) speakers in your HT rig, and want to take better advantage of their mid bass capabilities.

If I had a better and more flexible bass management circuit, I might very well try some slightly lower (another half octave or so) filter points for some of my speaks, maybe as follows:

CS400i - 60 Hz
RT800i - 60 Hz
f/x 1000 - 60 Hz
CS245i - 80 Hz

These filter points are still well above the F3 but do account for the limited air moving capabilities of these smaller drivers for a vigorous HT application.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Its funny you mention that Doc... I was thinking of trialing my "NEW ;)"settup at both 80 then 60. Your right though, that ICBM is too cool.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Speaking of your "new" rig - did you:

1) get my emails at work and did the zipped file make it through on the first try?

2) get a UPS Tracking Number yet from SVS?

I had heard that the Marchand unit was going on backorder - they are selling tons of them lately. You can live without it for now unless you take the CS+ twins to 11/10's. Even moderately hard playback should be safe - that driver is pretty hard to bottom-out, but it can be done. Plus, running your FR sweeps without it in the loop will give you a true indication of your ultra low end if you tune with a port plug.

If the zipped file crashed, I can send you a burned disc, because the last time I checked the website was gone for that download. I saved everything to my hard drive, so making new discs is NBD.

Doc

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had confirmation that he order was fixed but I gave them the home computer so I can't check it untill tonight.

I received the .xls workbooks and they look great! Very intuitive.

The freqs never made it through? I sent you mail today, did you get it? I would like to send you a check for all of your expensies in disks, packaging and shipping.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't take a check if you paid me :-). Just doing a Polk Brother a solid. Like you, I haven't checked my home email yet - leaving here soon to do just that. If you haven't yet, send me your addy and I'll get a disc out to you poste haste and it should arrive at the same time the SVS package gets there.

Set-up will be a snap with those Better Cables speaker wires - they are VERY custom looking. They are each 9 feet (3 meters) long - that should be enough, right? Make a spot for the Samson and use the provided rca-1/4" interconnect from your pre-pro to the Samson and you're in business!

The subs will be bigger and more imposing in person - pictures don't do them justice - you will love the sound quality though. There is no substitute for size when it comes to clean deep bass.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I wouldn't take a check if you paid me :-). Just doing a Polk Brother a solid.

Thank you Sir! and trust me when I say I never forget... "NEVER", who has helped me in any way. Chalk this 1 up to you have a favor from the HBomb on the books.

Henry:)
    ***WAREMTAE***