Are my speackers any good?

scarleton
scarleton Posts: 1
edited March 2003 in Speakers
Many years ago (1993 I believe) I bought a set of Polk Audio car speakers. After about a year and a half later I pulled them out of the car in which they where installed. From that day until this the speakers have moved from one dwelling to the next living in a closet or a basement. Well, as of late I have had the desire to enlist the services of the speakers, once again. I pulled them out of the basement storage. The first thing bit of info I was curious was if the woofers are 6 1/2 or 5 1/2 inch. I had thought the speackers of the 6 1/2 inch flavor, but they are marked as MM 5510. This makes me believe they are of the 5 1/2 inch flavor.

The I would like to put them into my 2002 New Beetle . What size are theses MM 5510? Will they fit in either the door of the dash?

More importantly, are the speakers any good? They look fine except for a bit of brown dust on them. How would I go about cleaning them without damaging them?

Sam Carleton

nb-thumbnail.jpg
Post edited by scarleton on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    How about taking a measuring tape out and measuring them?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    This thread needs to be moved over to the car audio section. You might want to repost your question over there. Good luck with your project.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    How about taking a measuring tape out and measuring them?

He could sitll measure them...OK, he could also repost this on the Car Audio forum, and then they can tell him to measure his speakers likewise, then they can tell him how to clean it - personally I think a dry soft clothe would do the trick, just dont press down to hard. Plug em up and try em out. Hope that helps and I dont want to make neone mad so Brett i hope it dosnt quite piss u off.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    He could sitll measure them...

I think that you made your point the first time, no? Relax a bit.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by brettw22

No need to be a lil twit twice within 4 posts Mx........I think that you made your point the first time, no?
    Ok, fine - read it again, and I promise not to post again in this thread to make u happy.
    I think that you made your point the first time, no? Relax a bit.......

Wow, talk about an edit. From calling me a lil twit to not insulting me a bit. Lord this world is awesome aint it?

Yeah, u tried but I beat ya too the chase and read it i guess :p, and I am keeping my word - I aint posting nemore on this thread just editing the crap out of this post. I am bored out of my misery. Hopefully the dude's spookers work.

Brett u got a nice quote, makes alot of sense. hahaha. This world is going down the drain...no?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Ah.......and I even edited that so that it didn't come across *quite* so rude......oh well......I tried.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2003
    Well, I will respond here and I'd like to say GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE! The MM series speakers were probably teh best you could buy when they came out. Now Polk makes the Momo series which is also an MM designation. However, I do believe that the size of those speakers is the 5.25 inch speakers due to the 5510 model designation. I do not remember if they were coaxials or seperates though.

As far as whether they are good or not, do a visiual inspection. Get a can of canned air from an office supply or computer store to dust them off. Shoot the speaker with short bursts to blow the dust off. If the surrounds are weak, full-force long blasts could tear the speakers. However, I stored dB speakers for 2 years. I dusted them off and they work fine now. Car speakers are built a bit more rugged than home speakers so they stand up to abusive environemnts a bit better. I'd venture to say that unless there is visible damage, they will be just fine. Dust them off and throw them in the car, if they fit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!