Confession

Options
howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited March 2003 in Speakers
I have a confession to make. I bought a set of M&K speakers instead of polk! Please forgive me!

Anyway, I have not posted much on this board but have taken a lot of knowledge off this site so I figured I would give an impression of what I have.

First of all I narrowed my choices down to Polk's LSi series (probably LSi15, LSic, and LSi7 mabye LSi9's instead of the 7's) and M&K's new 851 system. Unfortunatly the instant polk went ciruit city all the dealers I know dropped them (I think 3 in total). So the only place for me to get polk is crutchfield and I don't like buying before auditioning. Although I almost did.

My setup now is Left, Right, Center, Left surround, Right surround are all the LCR 851 (ok the center is the center 851, basically all 5 are the same). For a sub, I have the M&K 150THX. I have had the center and sub for 1.5 months but had to wait on the other four until this morning. Oh that wait was painful. I am running these off a Marantz 8200 with a Denon DVM-4800 DVD both behind a Monster HTS 5000MKII power center.

First thing I did after the receiver set up (set to THX speakers so 80Hz filters) was to put in the S&V calibration DVD and set it all up. Then I hit all the demo material on that disc. Dolby, DTS, and THX intro's. WOW! I was really impressed. These speakers are very detailed yet are not too bright or harsh. I'm sure they will sound even better after a month or so. The sub is much better when you set the phase correctly, not sure why I skipped that step when I got it. I just love having those rear speakers, before it was just my RT10s.

The only thing I don't like is the looks. The speakers are very nice looking until you put them up on the matching stands. They are just too thin for my tastes. I'll try and get some pictures up. Right now they are in my bedroom, I decided after college I'm staying with my folks until I get all my HT equipment! That way I can afford a bit nicer stuff than if I had a house/ apartment payment to deal with. But hopefully they will be set in wall when I get my house. We will see.

All in all I really like my new setup. I'm not sure if my M&K's will replace my polks as a stereo pair. I just love pink floyd on those RT10s. They are just so smooth and mellow. The M&K's are much more forward and detailed.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    you are absolved my son....

now get your listen on!!!

Congrats on making a decision because that was a tough 1 I'm sure.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    when i bought my carver tfm-35 the guy had it hooked up to a set of m&k speakers. not sure what model they were but they had 3 small drivers and 3 tweeters in each speaker. man did they rock! very nice speaker and built like a tank. i would love to have a set of them.

scott:cool:
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Those M&K's were probably the 150 system. They have a bunch like that though. Those are a step up from mine, although mine are brand new and have a new tweeter, a transmition line tweeter that is a bit better.

Here are some pics...assuming I add them properly...

front.jpg

rightside.jpg

I have some more at http://www.geocities.com/hpt300/

I'm no webmaster, and its been a few years but it atleast has the pics up. Might be around 1.2 meg though..

<edit> hm, well the preview showed the pics, not sure why they didn' show up. Anyway, check out my home page if you want to see them. I just put it up really quickly so it is just text and pics.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If you preview when posting pics, they will not show.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk