Box for two mm120's

TommyIsPHAT
TommyIsPHAT Posts: 9
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am asking a lot of questions lately because I want to get this system perfect and not mess anything up...So... How should I go about building a box for these. I want to have both subs firing inwards towards the car, and the seats fold down so I want the subs/box as close up to the seats as possible. It says rec. enclosure is .88cu ft, should i double this since there are two subs? Also, if I built this box it would be my first time, so should I have someone help me, or have someone build it for me etc.
Post edited by TommyIsPHAT on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    the 0.88 is PER sub. the "ideal" would be to build one box for the two fo them but have a "dividing" wall inbetween the two speakers... that way its actually like having two separate 0.88 boxes. going a little bit above this (but under 0.925) will improve your low end extention a little and eliminate the need for any fill... most likely.

materials -- (3/4 inch MDF) + (1.75 inch drwall screws) + (100% silicone caulk) + (think foam weather stripping - 1/8th inch thick/ 0.75 inch wide - to jamb in the joints) + (1/4 inch thich 1/4 inch wide foam weather stipping to use behind the woofer basket for proper seal to the box - that is if you do not have the OEM provided polk gaskets... itsthe same stuff.)

---OR---

(3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood) + (brad nailer) + (high quality weather proof wood glue or Liquid Nails) + (100% Silicone caulk) + (polk gaskets or the abov mentioned 1/4 in. stripping).

The first box will be both the easiet ans cheapest for a 1st time job... the 2nd is a box that I've never attempted (and I've built almost 10 so far) but according to more experienced members of the forum will give you a much more rigid / sturdy / and long lasting enclosure (but it'll cost a bit more and require that you do a little better work on it).

the procedure is basically the same -- just cut your pieces to fit... either gasket or glue between the joints (Depending on which u built) and then screw(predrill for screws) or brad the boards together at the joint. when that's all said and done, lay a nice heavy bead of caulk along all interior joints so as to be sure the box is air tight. drill a small hole to punch your speaker wire through (make it really snug going through there, u want it to be almost air tight with just the wire in it -- then silicone around that too.) let it sit / dry for a day... carpet / paint / do whatever u want to the box ... then gasket behind u're woofer, and drop that into the mount hole and screw it down. voila - u're done.

for what people charge to build boxes, i'd say do it yoruself... i mean they want like 300 bucks for a "custom built" (which most times is just a normal simple trapezoid box not a true "custom fit" of odd shapes and such) box... and most of these shops are gonna do a hack job on it anyway cuz very few of them actually care about what your car sounds and looks like... if you find one that seems like they really do amazing work, then go ahead, have them build u the box of yoru dreams, and be happy with it... but otherwise... just hack it out yourself... the first one may not be as good as u'd like, but what the hell for 20 - 30 bucks in "stuff" you can build yourself another one next spring and do twice as good a job.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    if I were you and wanted to make 1 box for both subs, I would seperate them.
    If you can't then yes, double the space.
    Use 3/4 in MDF to build it
    If you use particle board, those subs will blow the box to pieces.
    Make sure everything is completely sealed.
    As far as do it yourself is concerned, you know your limitations.
    Its hard, but not too hard.
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    cody... i'm in one of those "moods" -- i feel like takin the 0.88 cube test box i made to see if the dx 12's were shot and slappin my recalled IDmax in there for a few minutes (long story on that damn thing -- some shmuck at the assembly decided to put a non-compliant surround on it AGH!) ... wonder if it'd fit -- he'll i'll invert the damn thing.... i do realy want to see if ican blow the box apart... if i strap both 81kd's on there ill have about 1800 watts clean rms... burp that b#tch and see what happens. i'll do it this wkdna and let ya'll know how it goes. :o)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    take pics!
    my friend had a box under warranty and it was particle board
    i put my speakers in their one day before i had them in my truck
    blew it to hell
    took it back and they were like what were you running
    lol
    -Cody
    Testing