What to replace my LSi7s with?

Options
tlainhart
tlainhart Posts: 66
edited April 2009 in Speakers
I've got some LSi7s in front, with LSi/C and sub. Used to have LSi/fx for surrounds. Had the system for maybe 3 years? Powered by a Denon AV, a 3806 I think (I know that it's under-powered). The system is in a 12x32, on the long wall.

The LSi7s replace some LS70s that I regret selling. I'm wanting a bigger sound, with a better sound-stage - the LS70s were great in this regard. I listen to jazz and classical.

I've been looking at LSi15s, but they might be more than I want to spend. Are they the speaker I'm looking for to replace my (lost love) LS70s? Or are the LSi9s acceptable? I can go with the LSi15s, if the difference between them and the 9s are significant.

thanks -- Todd
Post edited by tlainhart on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2009
    Options
    SDA-1c's would be a great way to go, but I think any SDA speaker will work out well... soundstage and imaging are fantastic!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hilbert
    Hilbert Posts: 316
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I have LSi9s, 7s, and a C (on a long wall no less) and like them a lot. But of course they're a bit lacking in bass. If I could do it again, I'd go for LSi15s from Polk ebay store---I suspect that for jazz and classical the bass from those speakers alone would be sufficient, no need to muck about with a sub.

You will probably want an amp in any case. Maybe get the amp first and see how much it helps your sound? (I'm a very happy Emotiva xpa-5 owner, HOWEVER rumors elsewhere on this site suggest that there are manufacturers besides Emotiva who make decent amps.)
  • tlainhart
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hilbert wrote: »
    You will probably want an amp in any case. Maybe get the amp first and see how much it helps your sound? (I'm a very happy Emotiva xpa-5 owner, HOWEVER rumors elsewhere on this site suggest that there are manufacturers besides Emotiva who make decent amps.)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to get a new amp. I have to start reading more threads here to figure out what to get.

I'm starting to look at the used market for amps, assuming that I can use my Denon 3806 as pre.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2009
    Options
    tlainhart wrote: »
    I'm starting to look at the used market for amps, assuming that I can use my Denon 3806 as pre.
    Yep!
    http://www.usa.denon.com/avr3806_back.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tlainhart
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hilbert wrote: »

Actually, the Emotiva looks like a very nice amp for my needs. Almost too good to be true at that price point.
  • Michael_Js
    Michael_Js Posts: 34
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Great price! You know what they say - if it]s too good to be true :-)
  • Ender
    Ender Posts: 603
    edited April 2009
    Options
    LSi15 or SDA for sure...
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I agree. I liked my SDA 2B's better then my Lsi7's. I listened to them both with a carver amp and a musical fidelity integrated and the SDAs just sound plain better.

I was reluctant to admit it because I think SDAs are really ugly, especially when compared to the LSi so I would have rather had the Lsi7's but the SDAs are just obviously better.
  • tlainhart
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up going with the LSi15s, only because they're easier to come by than the SDAs (the SDAs that I've looked for only want local sales).

Now I'm thinking about a 2-channel Emotiva power amp to power these, letting my Denon 3806 power the rest of the system.
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited April 2009
    Options
    That sounds like a great setup. You can use the 7's as surrounds.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2009
    Options
    tlainhart wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up going with the LSi15s, only because they're easier to come by than the SDAs (the SDAs that I've looked for only want local sales).

Now I'm thinking about a 2-channel Emotiva power amp to power these, letting my Denon 3806 power the rest of the system.

Might want to consider a 3-channel. Cover the front speakers. I assume you'll pick up a LSI center? BTW IMO, Denon's make very nice pre/pros...that's what I use and it's a very neutral to warm pre..that does not interfere much with the sound your power amp will put out. Works well with any number of amps. You'll be happy.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    edited April 2009
    Options
    That sounds like a great setup. You can use the 7's as surrounds.

Agreed. I was very suprised at the improvement I got when I moved my 7's to surround duty (I previously had FXi-A4). Difference is especially noticable when listening to 5.1 music concerts, DVD-Audio, etc.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tlainhart
    edited April 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Might want to consider a 3-channel. Cover the front speakers. I assume you'll pick up a LSI center? BTW IMO, Denon's make very nice pre/pros...that's what I use and it's a very neutral to warm pre..that does not interfere much with the sound your power amp will put out. Works well with any number of amps. You'll be happy.

cnh

Thanks for the info on the Denon. I was wondering about it as a pre - wondering if it did a decent job there. One of the nicest setups I had back in the day was an early Sony ES amp w/ LS70s, and I thought, as least for the phono stage, that the pre on that amp was "nicer" than my Denon. I'm starting to look for 2/3 channel amps on the used market.

I do already have an Lsi/C. Actually, my previous setup was LSi7s front, LSi/C, and LSi/fx for surrounds. I didn't really appreciate the surrounds so I sold them a while back and shut off 5.1. Now that I'll have the LSi7s as "extra", I'll "demote" them to surrounds and see if I have the same reaction.