Options
2»

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo

Heres to ya my friend!!! I Owe ya 1 as I tip my glass of Merlot in recognician of your time and help...

Thanks a Bunch. Next step is calibrating and room response. I'll post the curves.

HBomb

If you haven't burned the CD yet, let me know and I'll send you one for the bass sweep. Also remember to use the RS correction factors. I can send you the custom Excel spreadsheet too, and even add a column for the RS correction factors so it includes it automatically. Let me know.

I'm hittin the sack - the Jim Beam just hit me.......I'll check this post in the a.m. and send you whatever you need either by snail mail or email.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Send them to hnavaroli@alamosapcs.com. My aol account cannot take the strain! I have received files as large as 5meg through our gateway so I'm sure it will pass.

Thanks
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    hey dr spec is the cs or cs + have the driver like the stryke driver?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Henry:

I sent you a TON of stuff this morning. If you carefully read and study everything I sent, you will have no questions on set-up and calibration. It should go very smoothly. Stay in touch and keep me abreast of your order situation.

Ed

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    hey dr spec is the cs or cs + have the driver like the stryke driver?

The Styke AV12 driver is essentially the SVS Improved Standard Driver with the aluminum cone from the SVS Plus driver.

The SVS Plus driver (TC Sounds dB-12) is quite a bit more potent than the Stryke AV12 driver, in both xMax and Vd, and also the thermal power limits of the VC.

The dB12 is proprietary to SVS and cannot be purchased on the open market. A ton of R&D went into that driver. Below 30 Hz, it will outperform the AV12 by 5-6 dB in maximum output capability. The VC can handle almost 600 watts, and the Vd is around 2.7 liters.

This is not to say the AV12 is a bad driver - it's a GREAT driver, as is the SVS ISD.

Many companies companies use TC Sounds for their high performance woofers.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    to bad svs dident make their new box sub front flirting. the cones on the av15 are sweet and the svs cones look similar and are real sweet when moveing. i just wish there was 2 things the bass box had was a on off switch and a on off light. i was told i can add one. but if i break it i have to pay for fixing it.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2003
    Options
    See that's what i'm talking about, a major purchase for Hbomb, Good going,
    wow you better keep the young one from this setup.. that could cost a bit :)

I am glad my 4 year old never thought to be naughty with daddy's speakers :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I still do like the Svs's,, Hey Spec so what's your discount after all these referrels to SVS :) they gotta be loving you!!!

That's ok keep up the good work, one day i may need the insider for a SVS sub, ah for my room maybe one of those mach mini display subs would work fine, 12x10x8 H' room.........

ya know like those mini camping tents they have for display purposes thats like 6" tall and 12" wide.... only in a svs sub
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100

wow you better keep the young one from this setup.. that could cost a bit :)

I am glad my 4 year old never thought to be naughty with daddy's speakers :)

Good point and I figured at least the speakers are burried inside the tube... another reason to move away from the box design.

Thanks for the kind words and its going to take some time and effort to get it right.

a little over the original budget but I figure do the right thing now and I won't have regrets later. its kinda like expecting a Yugo to perform like a Benz....

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options

Good point and I figured at least the speakers are burried inside the tube... another reason to move away from the box design.

The bottom mounted downward firing woofer is accessible to prying fingers in the space between the baseplate the the tube bottom. According to SVS, the cone and surround are pretty durable, but it cannot be clearly inspected for damage unless you take the baseplate off. So keep the little one the heck out of that space.

Also, the top is protected with a removable grill, but obviously is open for the vents and spilled liquids can enter the sub and get all over the driver. So don't let anybody use them as drink holders at parties.

Did you hear back from SVS - Ron or Erik? Did they do $1700? I thought that was a fair price with the B-Stock amp.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    I still do like the Svs's,, Hey Spec so what's your discount after all these referrels to SVS :) they gotta be loving you!!!

I just want to spread the good word. They definitely appreciate the referrals and the internet support, and they do give my referrals a break sometimes - but no guarantees. We trade emails at work and at home on occasion and they are SUPER guys over there at SVS.

Their singular mission in life is to impress the living hell out of every single customer and independent reviewer at the best possible price they can muster. The value of their products is unparalleled.

They didn't get into this business for the money - they got into it to raise the bar and spread their passion for world class bass - and they're succeeding. And I'm doing whatever I can to help because I believe so strongly in their products and their business ethic. Companies like SVS are EXCEEDINGLY rare.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

Did you hear back from SVS - Ron or Erik? Did they do $1700? I thought that was a fair price with the B-Stock amp.

I have not heard anything yet... do they work the weekends?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options

I have not heard anything yet... do they work the weekends?

HBomb

They work all the time. They are an e-company with employees living in different states. Ron lives in CO, Erik lives in NYC, and I suspect Tom V lives in Ohio where the subs are R&D'd and built.

People have reported getting reply emails from them at the oddest times due to the time zone changes, etc.

The stuff I sent you this morning crashed in your server I think - I got an error message. So I resent it without the zipped mp3 file. If you don't get the zipped file from the first attempt, let me know and I'll mail you a burned copy.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ed, you are so right on this!!! Eric just called about 15 minutes ago and poof I had mail and it all worked out. The grand total came in at $1840 so not too far from what you thought but damn, what a company!!!!. If the subs work as good as you say with the support I have already received this is going to be 1 of the best purchases I have ever made.

I was in the office this morning and did not see an email or daemon so I'm not sure what happened. How big is the zipped file? We pass some really big stuff around but perhaps there a size limit from outside our company domain???

Thanks for all your help! BTW the black box is on back order but everything else should be shipped on Monday.

Regards
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ed, you are so right on this!!! Eric just called about 15 minutes ago and poof I had mail and it all worked out. The grand total came in at $1840 so not too far from what you thought but damn, what a company!!!!. If the subs work as good as you say with the support I have already received this is going to be 1 of the best purchases I have ever made.

SVS has a well deserved reputation for unparalleled customer service. Erik just proved it - again.

I'm assuming that total includes shipping. I was not including shipping when I gave my estimate, and since they are shipping at least 3 separate heavy packages, I wouldn't be surprised if shipping was $100. If so, my guess was pretty close.

I will stake my reputation (FWIW) on the line: This WILL be the best purchase you have ever made.

Ed

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

I was not including shipping when I gave my estimate, and since they are shipping at least 3 separate heavy packages, I wouldn't be surprised if shipping was $100. If so, my guess was pretty close.

I will stake my reputation (FWIW) on the line: This WILL be the best purchase you have ever made.

Ed

Thats why I didn't even blink.

I'm stoked about this whole sub thing!

Thanks again.

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i think when i got the amp and bass box/cabble shiped was about 22 bucks from ohio to detroit

to help you with the setup i have my gains on the recever set to -1 and the gain on the amp to 5/8 and the gain on the bass box to 4.

i first set the gain on the amp to 5/8 then i ajusted the bass box till i got referance. and the subs i run are 88.5 db hope this helps.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Bryan, you should be running the Samson at full gain. Reduce the bass box and/or LFE level in the AVR to compensate and recalibrate. The Samson is designed to be run at full gain.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i have allways ran power amps in my car at 3/4 gain and used the head to turn it up and down. but i will try it with the samson turned up. so i should use a less powerfull sigonal and let the amp do more work.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    i have allways ran power amps in my car at 3/4 gain and used the head to turn it up and down. but i will try it with the samson turned up. so i should use a less powerfull sigonal and let the amp do more work.

Correct - the Samson owner's manual says it. This is a touring amp and the gain control is absolute, not relative. You cannot drive the Samson to it's full power output unless it is set at full gain.

This is not the case with the typical plate amp, so everyone else ignore this comment. This is only particular to the Samson S1000 amp.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options