Receiver recommendations/connections for RM3000 Sats with RM1000 Passive Sub

Options
botteson
botteson Posts: 1
We just bought a house in which the living room was already wired with nicely wall-mounted Polk Audio RM3000 satellite speakers and - I think - an RM1000 passive subwoofer. I say "I think" it's RM1000 because there is no model number that I can see on the sub, but given some online research I've done I think RM1000 it's the right one. (It has five posts: black (-) and red (+) channel ins for L and R, as well as a blue, unlabeled post in between the L and R posts.)

The prior owners left us with these speakers and sub, with the wiring in tact. But they took their receiver/amp with them. The issue I have is: I need to buy a receiver that will power these speakers and sub, and make sure I hook it all up the right way. Am I right that many newer receiver/amps don't work with an older passive sub? What type of receiver should I be looking for, and how do I hook it up? This system is apparently so old that it doesn't even make the Polk Audio support "archives"!

Thanks.
Post edited by botteson on

Comments

• Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited November 2008
    Options
    It will work (provided the speakers aren't blown) with any receiver. You just have to wire it up like this:

If you have only one sub- pretend that blue connector doesn't exist. You have to parallel the subwoofer with the front left and right main speakers.

You'll then have to go into the receiver's setup menu- set subwoofer "no" and front main speakers "large," center and surrounds "small."

Here is a diagram:
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio