upgrade...

rs159
rs159 Posts: 1,027
edited January 2003 in Speakers
currently i have:
-onkyo tx8511
-psw202
-polk rti28s
-zenith dvd/vcr combo (model # escapes me for the moment)
-sony sacd/dvd player (i know that makes 2 dvd players but i mostly use the zenith for vcr since the sony is progressive scan

i got this "small" system b/c i only really had room for it in a teeny tiny room that could NEVER handle BIG speakers or anything more than ht in a box for that matter

-but-

now i can move to the basement and i want to upgrade to at least 5.1. i listen to music more than movies and i hate when i can hear the sub working and i know exactly where it is b/c i have to set the xover too high to get that extra "kick" around 90-100hz. i want mains that can deliver good, tight, and LOUD midbass, but i only have so much money so it's not like i can buy 2000 dollar amps so i need speakers that can give decent midbass w/ "minimalistic" amplification. i will use the sub for most everything below about 60-70hz so i only really need mains w/ good midbass. i will get a new reciever (i'm not rich enough for seperates) for surround sound and keep the tx8511 in the upstairs room. i will get some smaller speakers for the upstairs room and move the rti28s to the basement, or trade them in for bigger mains and use something like the r20 for surround (i know, we're getting rather low in price here, but i AM on a budget). the center channel will really be an afterthought since i think surrounds are more important than the center if your mains can image well

i can really only pay up to about 600 dollars for mains and 300-500 dollars for a reciever (challenging, i know, but did i mention i was on a budget?)

Any suggestions?

by the way, i will definately upgrade the psw202 to something that can reach deeper and play louder
Post edited by rs159 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    i think surrounds are more important than the center if your mains can image well

Wrong...wrong...wrong! I would do without the surrounds before I would forego a center channel for home theater. So much information is passed through the center channel that you will never get the same effect through two front speakers alone.

For my money I would look at something like the Denon 1803. It can be bought from a online seller for $400 or less (try 6ave.com - they are an autorized Denon e-tailer and will deal - You have to call and ask for their best price). Another alternative would be the Outlaw 1050 - internet sales only but it is a nice receiver for $499 with plenty of power. It is a little dated in that this model has been around for about 3 years (an eternity in electronics) but is is still highly regarded. A couple of folks on this forum have one.

I would recomend the CSi30 for a center channel. I like the RTi28s and think they have a very good midrange. Another pair and a the CSi30 would be a good start. Another option would be to get a pair of the RTi38s for the fronts and move the 28s to the rear. For now the 202 would be ok but I would consider an upgrade to a sub like the HSU-VF2 or the Adire Rava (both around $400 - intenet sales only) to round out a pretty nice system.

Most of the Sonys are pretty decent CD and DVD players. I would check the manual to use the Sony for your DVD needs. You should be able to set it to the interlaced mode for a better picture than the Zenith. All of Sony's DVD players will do both interlaced and de-interlaced (progressive - only for HDTV ready sets) mode. Check it out.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Wrong...wrong...wrong! I would do without the surrounds before I would forego a center channel for home theater. So much information is passed through the center channel that you will never get the same effect through two front speakers alone.

Agreed. Especially if he gets the i28's or the i38's...They definetely need a center. its night and day without one. In music and HT. I got the 35i's and the 25i's, and the CS245i. You take away the center its like a huge gap...but newayz....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by rs159
    i can really only pay up to about 600 dollars for mains and 300-500 dollars for a reciever (challenging, i know, but did i mention i was on a budget?)

I'd try to upgrade EITHER your fronts or your receiver as your big purchase. I wouldn't try to do both right now with the budget that you have. If you're going to buy a receiver, I would get a receiver that you can grow into rather than buying a minimalist receiver that you're going to want to upgrade pretty quickly.

Shack mentioned the 1803 for around $400, but on Ebay you can get the 2802 for under $500 (w/ warranty as well).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3000140718&category=14981

It's not a lot of power, but for a quick upgrade, I'd go the 2802 over the 1803, even though the 1803 is a more current model. Denon's most current products end in the 03.

THe only problem that I see with putting more money into good mains with your current receiver is that they're not going to sound as good with an older receiver.......

Good luck........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    If he wants 5.1 he has to upgrade his receiver first since the Onkyo tx8511 is a STEREO receiver.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2003
    also i wondered if the i28s have good enough dispersion for surround or if i should invest in bipoles instead.

(i am sorry if i ask stupid questions but i live in amish country USA and the nearest hifi store is 50 miles away. all of my friends and family are satisfied with tv speakers and clock radios so forums like this are the only places i can really talk about hifi)

and yes the 8511 is stereo but the rti28s i got at CC and i have 6 months left until i am stuck with them and can't upgrade so i thought i should worry about mains, then the reciever, then the surrounds, and finally, a better tv (tv last since i listen to music more than movies)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    If you have the money now, I'd get your receiver first. Like you said, you have 6 more months until your exchange program runs out. That'll give you more time to get more money for the mains. You're not going to be *AS* happy with new mains if you don't have an adequate receiver to run them.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    I agree with brettw22... a new receiver will breath new life into your current speakers.. till you can upgrade your fronts. I went from a 10 yr old dolby surround receiver.. about three years ago.. to a Marantz SR5000 that i still use today. Made a big difference in the sound from my old KLH fronts. I then had to upgrade the who set of speakers. IT was a good thing i did move to a decent receiver. It opened up a whole new world that I was missing.

After i got the Marantz, it was upgrade-itis, and it hasn't stopped yet. :p the receiver really is the heart of your system.. whether is be two channel or multichannel movies/audio.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2003
    I've bought the Panasonic 6.1 from circuit city and am happy with it has plenty of power (6x130 watts) to run paid $499. You might want to look in the s&v buyers guide for other specs.

Good luck
    Dave