Will the Sony STR DA5300ES be able to run the LSI 15's,9's,FX,s and the center?

Options
BLACKHAMMERJAMM
BLACKHAMMERJAMM Posts: 69
edited June 2008 in Speakers
Will the Sony STR DA5300ES be able to run the LSI 15's,9's,FX,s and the center (7.1system)or do I need to get another amp. If I need another amp I plan to use my sony as a pre. What power amp would good.

Aloha
Sony KDL-52XBR4
Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
NAD T975
LSIi15's front
LSIiC center
LSIiFX's surround
LSIi15's rear
PSW1000
Sony BDPS2000ES
2nd system
Sony STRDA5300ES
Sony PS3
LSi9's front
Klipsch sub
under construction
Post edited by BLACKHAMMERJAMM on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Buy a cheaper receiver and separate amps, at least for the front end. Search, this has been covered many times.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2008
    Options
    First welcome to Club Polk, and second an AVR can play the LSI's. It will however be very limited, and will put a lot of strain on your AVR. You really need a 5 channel amp to run those speakers satisfactorily. With an amp those speakers will sound so much better than with an AVR.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BLACKHAMMERJAMM
    edited June 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    First welcome to Club Polk, and second an AVR can play the LSI's. It will however be very limited, and will put a lot of strain on your AVR. You really need a 5 channel amp to run those speakers satisfactorily. With an amp those speakers will sound so much better than with an AVR.
    Ben

Thanks, I already own the Sony 5300ES so I guess I will use it as a pre amp and get some Rotel's. The RMB 1075 and the RB 1070 to get the 7.1 working. What do you think.
    Sony KDL-52XBR4
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
    NAD T975
    LSIi15's front
    LSIiC center
    LSIiFX's surround
    LSIi15's rear
    PSW1000
    Sony BDPS2000ES
    2nd system
    Sony STRDA5300ES
    Sony PS3
    LSi9's front
    Klipsch sub
    under construction
  • garnier
    garnier Posts: 116
    edited June 2008
    Options
    In my opinion, it will be a great combination for your current system!

I have Outlaw 7700 amplifier, that I got for $1,900 (300 wpc at 4 ohm), and it is also great! I use Onkyo 805 as a pre-amp now. I used to have a Denon 3808ci, but traded that in for the Onkyo 805 because of Onkyo's THX Ultra mode. Rotel amps are THX Ultra-certified. I guess that is one of the reasons you are considering Rotels. If not, then I think either Outlaw or Emotiva amps are something for you to consider too, because they are internet-based company and cheaper in general.

After listening to my setup (LSi9's for fronts and rear surrounds, LSiC for center, LSiFX for side surrounds, two Velodyne DLS-5000R subwoofers), I found that the sound was too bright for me. But after treating my living room with acoustic panels from ATS Acoustic, the sound was much more focused and pleasing to hear; simply put, it was just astounding! I felt like I was actually there with the actors in the scenes because the dialogue was very real to life.

I recommend to anyone thinking of spending $3,000 for an amp to spend $2,000 for an amp instead, and spend $1,000 for acoustic panels for better returns for each dollar spent. :)
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited June 2008
    Options
    The Sony 5300ES will not be a match for the LSis... Due to the smaller power supplies in the Sonys, they have difficulties driving four ohm loads without going into protect mode.
  • BLACKHAMMERJAMM
    edited June 2008
    Options
    jon s wrote: »
    The Sony 5300ES will not be a match for the LSis... Due to the smaller power supplies in the Sonys, they have difficulties driving four ohm loads without going into protect mode.

I just graduated from a Sony Dream system that my wife got me in 1997... I've just been educated and have a few amps that I'm looking to buy.

Aloha
    Sony KDL-52XBR4
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
    NAD T975
    LSIi15's front
    LSIiC center
    LSIiFX's surround
    LSIi15's rear
    PSW1000
    Sony BDPS2000ES
    2nd system
    Sony STRDA5300ES
    Sony PS3
    LSi9's front
    Klipsch sub
    under construction
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2008
    Options

I am not sure what you can expect from a 7.1 system since I only have a 5.1, but I have used the following AVRs with 4 LSi15s, and an LSiC without any problems. Of course, it was in a relatively small room, not a basketball court sized room.

Denon 3805
    Sony 5000ES
    Sony 7100ES

While the 5000ES and 7100ES are digital amps, which run cooler, the Denon is analog, as is your 5300ES. Power wise I believe the 5300ES is similar to the 5000ES, which is 120W/ch at 4 ohm.

Although the 7100ES is 175W/ch, I finally broke down and went with an external amp (Sunfire TGA5400 800W/ch @ 4 ohm), and it really made a big differance, especially in regard to the bass. The LSi15s can knock the house down given enough power.

So, go ahead and use your 5300ES, and when you get some spare change do as others have said and get a nice 7 channel amp, such as the Sunfire TGA7400.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BLACKHAMMERJAMM
    edited June 2008
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I am not sure what you can expect from a 7.1 system since I only have a 5.1, but I have used the following AVRs with 4 LSi15s, and an LSiC without any problems. Of course, it was in a relatively small room, not a basketball court sized room.

Denon 3805
    Sony 5000ES
    Sony 7100ES

While the 5000ES and 7100ES are digital amps, which run cooler, the Denon is analog, as is your 5300ES. Power wise I believe the 5300ES is similar to the 5000ES, which is 120W/ch at 4 ohm.

Although the 7100ES is 175W/ch, I finally broke down and went with an external amp (Sunfire TGA5400 800W/ch @ 4 ohm), and it really made a big differance, especially in regard to the bass. The LSi15s can knock the house down given enough power.

So, go ahead and use your 5300ES, and when you get some spare change do as others have said and get a nice 7 channel amp, such as the Sunfire TGA7400.

wow, that Sunfire TGA 7400 looks great...Just need to save now...
    Sony KDL-52XBR4
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
    NAD T975
    LSIi15's front
    LSIiC center
    LSIiFX's surround
    LSIi15's rear
    PSW1000
    Sony BDPS2000ES
    2nd system
    Sony STRDA5300ES
    Sony PS3
    LSi9's front
    Klipsch sub
    under construction
  • jon s
    edited June 2008
    Options
    For about the same price as the 5300ES, I would look at the Onkyo TX-SR875 or TX-NR905... both rated at 140wpc. the 905 was given a Golden Ear award by Aboslute Sound. Onkyo swept the receiver of the year awards for What HiFi in all three categories. The two recommended units weight 50+ lbs, a lot heavier than other similar priced units from Sony, Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer. If you open it up you can see why, the Onkyo has massive power supplies which means more power reserves...
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Thanks, I already own the Sony 5300ES so I guess I will use it as a pre amp and get some Rotel's.
    For about the same price as the 5300ES, I would look at the Onkyo TX-SR875 or TX-NR905...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Meechsterlee
    Meechsterlee Posts: 73
    edited June 2008
    Options
    If you are looking to put an LSi/LSiC package in your home, the 5300 is NOT going to impress you. With a 4 ohm load, that ES is going to work fair (at best) at moderate levels and shut down when you really want to open up the potential of such a speaker package. Even at low-moderate levels, you are going to be missing out on so much detail and bass that you will never know just how great Polk's LSi's and the LSiC center really are. TBH, I feel it might do some amount of justice to a smaller RTi/ RTi A package but not the speaker ideas you have. JMO but Sony missed the bus with quality of power.

The folks that mentioned stand alone amps are on the money...your Rotel idea is way solid.

What would I do? I would sell that 5300 on ebay. Take the cash from that sale and put towards a (nice entry level) dedicated pre-amp/processor. Sure, the ES line has decent A/V processing...just not at the cost. Sell it to someone who is a Sony fan and let them put it to good use with some cheaper speakers.
    SAMSUNG HL-S42 DLP
    harman/kardon AVR225
    SONY PS3
    polkaudio RTi8's
    " CSi3
    " RTi6's
    Velodyne VRP1000
  • garnier
    edited June 2008
    Options
    One thing that I did not understand prior to buying an external amplifier was that a lot of people in this forum were saying that a receiver would be able to drive LSi series speakers only at moderate levels, but wouldn't be able to let me crank up the volume to use LSi's full potentials. But, after purchasing an external amp, and I wanted to crank up the volume to use the external amp's reserve power, people were telling me that I was plaing it too loud, and asked me if I wanted to become a deaf. I am not playing too loud now with my setup. I never found out for myself clearly if my Denon 3808 receiver would have been enough for my purpose, with two pairs of LSi9's for fronts and rear surrounds, LSiC, and LSiFX, at moderate volume levels. :confused:
  • jon s
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I have an earlier model Denon (3805 I think) which were used to drive a pair of Polk LSi15s.. Could never play it loudly without it going into protect mode... I also have a Marantz PM7200 integrated amp rated at 90wpc. This amp can drive a pair of SDA1Bs and a pair of Monitor 10s to a loud level, but the LSi15s would clip easily at lower volumes. I think the 4 ohm rating presents a more difficult load for amps than people think. The only integrated amp i have that can handle the LSi15s is a Sony TA-F808ES MOS-FET amp which is rated to drive loads as low as two ohms...
  • BLACKHAMMERJAMM
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Ok, what would match better with the LSi speakers. The NAD T975 Seven Channel Power Amplifier or the Rotel RMB-1075 + RB-1080 to make 7.1.
    Sony KDL-52XBR4
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
    NAD T975
    LSIi15's front
    LSIiC center
    LSIiFX's surround
    LSIi15's rear
    PSW1000
    Sony BDPS2000ES
    2nd system
    Sony STRDA5300ES
    Sony PS3
    LSi9's front
    Klipsch sub
    under construction
  • garnier
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Either one sounds good to me.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2008
    Options
    garnier wrote: »
    I would go for Rotel's because they are more powerful and THX-certified.

......and what exactly does thx-certified have to do with an amp??
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2008
    Options
  • garnier
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Mine is not THX-certified and I still like it.
  • Meechsterlee
    Meechsterlee Posts: 73
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Ok, what would match better with the LSi speakers. The NAD T975 Seven Channel Power Amplifier or the Rotel RMB-1075 + RB-1080 to make 7.1.

Rotel stack.
    SAMSUNG HL-S42 DLP
    harman/kardon AVR225
    SONY PS3
    polkaudio RTi8's
    " CSi3
    " RTi6's
    Velodyne VRP1000
  • garnier
    edited June 2008
    Options
    If you still can, then I would suggest that you return your Sony receiver and get Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P pre-amplifier instead for $1,650. It has a balanced XLR to be compatible with whichever amplifier you are considering buying and has a lot more powerful current supplies including a toroidal transformer and two separate transformers for audio and video processors. It will be a lot better than any receiver if you are not going to use its amplifier function anyway. At least that is what I would do if I could return my receiver; but instead, I would later sell mine as used, and get that Onkyo pre-amplifier instead for XLR connections with my amplifier,......I mean, I might do that. :)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2008
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ......and what exactly does thx-certified have to do with an amp??
    amulford wrote: »
    Marketing...

Bingo.They pay for the cert. Means nothing.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Hmmmmmm does Sony have a bad rap for their AVR's.

I worked for Sony for years and I will be the first to say their non ES AVR are nothing but junk. Now step into an ES AVR and you are getting what you pay for. It is just my opinion and a friend that works at an AV shop but the Sony ES line match up very well with everything else in the price range.

The question is will a 5300ES drive Lsi15's.... no, no, no. No sub $2k AVR will drive them bad boy's they way they should be driven. It's like putting 87 grade fuel in a BMW. It will drive but put in some 96 ave gas and fly....

Just my opinion
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I'm using the Rotel RMB-1075/RB-1070 amps to drive my Revel center and surrounds. I believe the sensitivity is 87db and 6 ohm (not exactly sure though). Anyways, the Rotels drive these speakers without breaking a sweat. Dependable amps, and they look good too.;)
  • dbuckho
    dbuckho Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I have a 7.1 setup with LSi9s/C at the front and 4 LC80fx for the surround channels. Have only gotten the protection mode a few times from my 5300ES from DirecTV viewing. But just started watching more DVDs and it is going into protection a lot more. Found this forum trying to figure out why it was happening? Guess I need an amp!

I may be able to get a Rotel RMB-1075 at a decent price, but have never really used an amp before. In my setup, which channels would I connect the RMB-1075 to? Thinking I would then get an RB-1070 or 1080 as suggested here to fill out the 7.1.
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Go with the sunfire for the win. But then again I'm partial to them because I run all my LSi's off one that I got for $1900 (close out)

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • BLACKHAMMERJAMM
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Ok, I have LSi 15's front, LSi center, LSi FX's, and LSI 15's back with a PSW1000 running off a Sony STRDA5300ES (soon to be replaced with Onkyo PR-SC855P-Rotel Stack 1075&1080). The Sony has power to run these at a good level!!! I tested it out with all the speakers running and it sounds clear and loud. If I push it things go south, but for normal loud levels its OK. With my new setup coming I will be able to power a block party... Thanks for all your help.
    Sony KDL-52XBR4
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P
    NAD T975
    LSIi15's front
    LSIiC center
    LSIiFX's surround
    LSIi15's rear
    PSW1000
    Sony BDPS2000ES
    2nd system
    Sony STRDA5300ES
    Sony PS3
    LSi9's front
    Klipsch sub
    under construction
  • malcolmp6
    malcolmp6 Posts: 70
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I am looking at the Lsi15s too and was wondering if there is any restriction on the distance of speaker placement from the side/rear walls. What is the recommended distance for speakers like Rti10s,12s and LSi15s from the rear wall to sound good?
  • slk55amg
    Options
    I have a sony ES5300, with polk lsi 15, and a lsic. Great unit, however I have an emotiva xpa 5. Never tried to run the Polks on the Sony with out the amp.
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    slk55amg wrote: »
    I have a sony ES5300, with polk lsi 15, and a lsic. Great unit, however I have an emotiva xpa 5. Never tried to run the Polks on the Sony with out the amp.

Somehow.....I think he figured it out seeing he had 9 years to think about it. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    Plot twist...he actually has Klipsch speakers.