momo's not sounding great..

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have the mmc6500s in my accord (put em back in..) and they're being bi-amped with the c400.4. the woofers are in the factory locations in my accord sedan, and the tweeters are in the panel directly on top of that location. (within 12'') my problem is that even with the gain on the amp for the tweeters all the way down, the system still sounds exessively bright, and the woofer really isn't producing enough mid-bass. i thought at first that it was an issue with the crossover settings, but the pre-eq switch is now turned on, and it's only just a hair better. how can i get a more detailed mid-range out of them (short of going to an eq) and how can i tame the tweeters more?
the entire car (and i mean ENTIRE) is outfitted with multiple layers of Second Skin mat, liquid, and acoustic foam depending on the location inside the car and the noise produced, so i know that's not it.
i've thought about an upgrade to a more "midbassier" component set, though the thought of spending more money is daunting..and pricey.

thanks guys.
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2008
    I'd experiment with the polarities with the mid and tweeter on both sides- reversing polarity on the tweeters can sometimes subdue their output and/or help them to blend better with the mid, while reversing polarity on the mid can reduce or increase midbass output to a considerable degree. Try swapping the polarity first, then move on to other troubleshooting measures.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    It may be your door panels, the plastic trim pieces that is.

I dont know what year your Accord is but my '07 had massive crevasses all thru it. When I first isntalled my SR's in there I almost puked. The midbass was thick and almost muffled and had a "cardboard" sound to it. I could not EQ it out no matter what I did. On a whim I pulled the door panels off and BOOM, my beloved SR's sounded more like their normals selves. So I figured it was all the dips and canyons on the back side of the panel and sound was resonating thru those and **** up the sound. So I went and got a bag of pollyfill and some foam. I put the foam around the area where the mid was mounted to kinda trap the sound. Then in all the gaps on the panel I stuffed in as much pollyfill as I could. You could use foam for this too but I liked pollyfill as it was easier to cram into places. This helped a TON!

Another thing - on the 7th gen Accords, the opening for the stock "6.5" is extremely tiny but you can still get an aftermarket 6.5 to fit with some spacing. The problem is that the back of the magnet basically fills up the stock opening and your 6.5 is essentially working in a sealed box that is only .0003 ft3 in volume. That will make your midbass pretty much non-existent. The only way to fix this is by either going with a 5.25 or cutting out the opening so that your 6.5 can breathe.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D