Proper wiring for separates in '06 Silverado

Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi Posts: 7
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got an '06 Silverado 2500HD extended cab that I'm putting a pair of Polk DB6501's in the front doors . The Silverado already has separate wiring for the tweeters and main cones , but I don't know where or if an active or passive crossover was used from the factory to separate the signals. The new DB6501's come with a cross over that I would like to use. I'm just not sure which wires int he door to use, or where the stock cross over is located so I can replace it. (my Silverado has no Onstar and no Bose Lux) Soon to have no Bose speakers
Thanks in advance
Chris "V"
Post edited by Chris Velardi on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2008
    You likely have a crossover integrated into an amplifier that is stashed somewhere in the dash or even the head unit.

Are you using an aftermarket head unit or the stock unit?

The problem I am seeing in using the aftermarket crossovers and the factory head unit is that you can effectively create a bandpass network for your speakers by using the Polk crossovers in conjunction with the factory crossover network.

If you are keeping the factory head unit, I'd just install the speakers straight up and wire them the same. Match polarity with what is on the stock speakers if the wires make no sense. The speakers will be marked in one way or another. If not, the wire with the black stripe is usually ground. It can be gray, green, purple or whatever. If it has a black stripe it is likely ground.

If you are using an aftermarket stereo, do not wire the speaker leads to the rear of the head unit wiring harness adapter. Leave them free and run your own speaker wires to the Polk crossover. The best way I have found to mount the crossover is industrial strength velcro. You can get it at WAL*MART or any home improvement or hardware store. Stick it to the crossover and stick the other side somewhere inside the door where it will not interfere with window function. Unless your speakers aren't in the door. Then jam them somewhere out of the way.

Buy you say that it doesn't have Bose and then you say it will soon have no Bose speakers. Does it use a Bose stereo or not? 'Cause that changes things.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Chris Velardi
    edited May 2008
    I'm using a Kenwood DNX5120 head unit. The Silverado line of pickups are available with Bose Lux, Bose Lux with On Star , or just stock sound system (considered "non Bose") my LT version came with separate tweeters in the front door speakers which is an upgrade called UQ3 enhanced audio speakers. Common knowledge amongst the Silverado community is all the speakers over the last few years are Bose speakers whether or not the grill covers have the Bose logo on them or not. Although there are different grades of the Bose speakers and the big differences are in the Bose Lux amps that drive them. So "No Bose" "no Onstar" usually means you have the cheep Bose speakers and non lux amp. I was trying to avoid running separate wires to the font speakers from the kenwood head unit. If I did that only the small rear 4x6 speakers (that I just replaced with Polk DB461's)i n the rear doors would be driven by the stock amp (although if I could find the stock amp I think I would replace it also)
    Chris "V"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2008
    Well, if you have that Kenwood wired in to the factory harness for everything including the speakers, you need to find out if there was any extra signal processing being done by any extra parts in the stock system. If not, use the Polk crossovers. If so, don't use the Polk crossovers.

That's the big problem. I would honestly find out if the stock stereo had individual amps for the front and rear. If it does, don't use the Polk x-overs. It'll probably sound poor but if you do use them in the condition, you'll get the band-pass effect I spoke of before.

If you don't have any extra stuff and just straight wiring then certainly use the Polk x-overs and rock on!

The best thing to do if you are unsure of wiring is go to a car parts store and get a Haynes manual. In the back they will have electrical circuit diagrams that should have all the connections, wire colors and contacts labeled so you can figure it out pretty easy.

Hope I helped out a bit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Chris Velardi
    edited May 2008
    Thanks I'll give it a shot
    Chris "V"
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    So you plan on using the radio to power everything?

There is no amplifier in your truck, only the stock head unit. I'm not sure who told you they are all bose speakers regardless, but they were wrong. In fact, even the speakers that are labeled Bose...are not Bose. In fact, your Dodge Infinity systems and BMW Harmon Kardon speakers, neither use actual Infinity or Harmon Kardon speakers. They had a hand in the engineering, but not the build.

What you want to do:
    Take the wire going to your current stock speaker, driver side is tan/gray(+/-), passenger side is light green/dark green(+/-) and hook that up to your crossover input, then out to your midrange/tweeter. Bad thing about that is, your crossovers are in the door, which I dont recommend, especially in GM trucks, but it can be done. Otherwise, you'll be running new speaker wire through the grommets.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Chris Velardi
    edited May 2008
    For now all I will use is the head unit (22watts) to each of the 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, I'm getting old and there are no subs I don't listen to excessively loud music so excessive power is not required. Your wiring colors are correct (all the factory did was Y connect the wires for stock tweeters and mids ) I was able to use and mount the Polk cross overs just below the 6.5" mids in a cavity between the inside door panel and the center frame of the door with a weather resistant seal between it and the outside of the door skin where the window travels . The system sounds great right now. When I get some time I'll go through the head unit and fine tune it all. Surprising part is rear stock speakers were marked 8 ohm and all 4 were just marked Mexico . So there is a good chance you are right and Bose has nothing to do with the stock speakers. Don't know why the Chevy truck fourm's think they are . Thanks for everyone's help.
    Chris "V"
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    I don't listen to excessively loud music so excessive power is not required.

Old wives tale - more power doesnt just mean "louder", it also means "sounds better".

And those "22" watts from the head unit are more like 8. You dont need an amp to play tunes but if you get the chance you should really consider adding one. Ya wont regret it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    You must not frequent fullsizechevy.com, we'd set you straight ;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Chris Velardi
    edited May 2008
    Yeah , between The Diesel Page, The Diesel place , the GM truck forum and Fullsizechevy I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my rig.
    Again thanks to everyone for your help. (anyone else using the Kenwood DNX-5120 head unit?
    Chris "V"