Excellent Live Performances you've heard . . .

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WiRLHBAxrU

Not a major fan of counting crows but this is pretty good. What other live performances have made you lose it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6HGMfxIVQ

This one is repeat on this forum but definitely worth a listen.
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2008
    I saw the Black Crowes at a small auditorium a few years back. Excellent.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2008
    Saw Chris Cornell a few months ago in Columbus and I'm still in awe. I have been listening to Soundgarden (Cornell's band in the 90s) in both of our cars ever since due to that experience. The best rock singer of all time, in my opinion.

EDIT:
    Just thought I'd throw this in here for anyone not familiar with Chris Cornell. This is a song written by Soundgarden that shows what Cornell is made of. He sounded just as good in concert which blew my mind, considering this song is over 15 years old and he still has his voice. This song was also voted the #1 song of the 1990s by a large European alternative publication and it ranks right up there with my favorites of the 90s as well. Forgive the horrible sound quality. He starts singing a little after 1:20. Yes, you owe it to yourself to listen. Don't worry, it's not anti-Christian at all (Cornell is Catholic). He's singing about famous **** that are exploiting that symbol as to imply that they're either a deity or persecuted somehow by their public.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FdBDfUCpBFg
  • SolidSqual
    edited April 2008
    Back in highschool I saw Roger Waters play at Gund Arena in Cleveland, OH. That was the first time I ever heard a live band sound fantastically better than their produced CD. It was amazing!

I also went to a Santana concert with my Dad a few years back in Columbus, OH. He's abig fan and got front row seats. Santana handed me his guitar pick. His picks are the size of silver dollars.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    I saw Nazereth in Lubbock TX in the early 80's; outstanding concert.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited April 2008
    I have been to 100+ Rock concerts but must say Dave Brubeck was one of the best.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2008
    Eagles, Jackson Browne & Linda Ronstadt all together!

Awesome! Just awesome!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited April 2008
    3 doors down in houston simply amazing
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited April 2008
    small venue: Shawn Mullins, killer Angie Aparo, even better
    Large venue: Pink Floyd, both times amazing
    Early wow, age 11, KISS live in Indy, awesome dude
    Home grown: Wife's Dad and brother picking bluegrass on the back porch, priceless
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • SolidSqual
    edited April 2008
    I saw Bush at a bar that could only hold 300 people! That was amazing. Gavin sat down next to my girlfriend and sang to her . . . she yelled his name for months every time we had sex. I had to leave her because of it.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited April 2008
    Small venue = 38 Special in Pipestone Minnesota
    Large venue = Rush in Kansas City Kansas
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited April 2008
    Art Garfunkel in a 300 seat bar.
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited April 2008
    Beethoven - Symphony 9
    The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir
    Jack Singer Concert Hall

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
    The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir
    Jack Singer Concert Hall
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2008
    Best day of live music was seeing Peter Rowan in a 20x40 foot tent at a local community college, then driving downtown to seventh row center seats for Herbie Hancock.

The best live music experience for me has been attending Merlefest. It's a 4 day festival of Americana music put on by Doc Watson every spring in the beautiful hills of North Carolina. There are some of the biggest names in folk, bluegrass, traditional country, blues, and rock there every year. The most memorable moments for me have been The Wilders, a traditional country act, seeing John Prine and having a shooting star go over the stage during Illegal Smile, and Bela Fleck shooting me a dirty look when I snuck up front to take his picture.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited April 2008
    The Police were awesome in New Orleans last summer.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    I really enjoyed watching YES in concert (quite a few years ago).
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Rush-last summer

Cheap Trick- home town boys play a lot around here

Pistol Pete- Local area incl. Chicago blues player that is a cross between Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy (he plays a lot at Buddy Guys Legends in Chicago) and Stevie Ray Vaughn. How he has never made it out of this town I'll never know. Explosive talent and real hardcore, heavy bluesman.

A video from Big Cities right here in Rockford IL

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FTsKdP30Oo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FTsKdP30Oo&hl=en&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

At Buddy Guys Legends in Chicago

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jdXkir576U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jdXkir576U&hl=en&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And finally in Poland

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2whMSNW8aQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2whMSNW8aQ&hl=en&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

My buddy plays drums sometimes when Pete plays in Rockford which is about once a week
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited April 2008
    Small venue was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at a place called the Frog Hop in St Joe,Mo.

The warm up act was a dude sitting on the stage playing a banjo,singing pure b.s. lyrics,with a hat on that had an arrow going through it...aka Steve Martin.

This was around 1969 or so.

The best large venue show I had the pleasure to see was Pink Floyd performing DSOTM at the Civic Arena in Kansas City...this was around 1972
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2008
    Tool - Spokane arena 2001
    Queens of the Stone Age - The Paramount, Seattle, 2007
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    Meatloaf on the Bat out of Hell Tour in the Seattle Paramount theater for 99 cents. We had no idea who he was, but the price was right

Jackson Browne in the Seattle Coluseium. Nobody would leave, so he ended up played a song while the arena lights were on.

Eagles hell Freezes Over tour in the Tacoma Dome.

A whole bunch more too.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited April 2008
    The Stones during their "Exile on Main Street" tour '71 I think.
    Grover Washington Jr in '72 - excellent.
    AKUS in PDX, front row center seats, pickin at it's finest.