So I'm doing some yard work....

shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I am in the process of finishing a stone patio that I started last summer. I had the tumbled stone stacked neatly in the back yard and I was in the process of arranging them in a pattern that fit. I grab one of the stones and on the side is a black, round spider with red markings. Remebering the numerous hours on the Discovery Channel, I yell to my wife to get our 3 year old's bug vacuum if you don't own one, GET ONE. This thing has come in handy more times than I care to remember.) I suck it up and stick it in a mason jar and get on the internet. Sure enough, this sucker is a Black Widow spider :eek:(female and very venomous - has the hourglass on the underbelly of the abdomen).

This shook me a bit knowing that I have a small dog and two small children that spend the majority of the time playing back there. Does anyone know of a good spray that will kill these things but still be safe for pets and young children? If I find one in the house, you bet your **** I'm moving!!!!!!
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4
Post edited by shawn474 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Seven from Home Depot. Anything is toxic but as long as you dont drink it, you'l be ok. Wood spiders of all kinds come with the territory since you border the park.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    They're pretty normal around here, but I hate them anyways. it's one of the only things I'll kill on sight.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    yikes:eek:Apparently a bite is VERY painful.There is an antivenom but it has potential side effects.Thankfully no one in your family was bitten.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Google 'Demon WP', or e-bug.net , It gives instructions on how to use the product.
    I'm surprised you found one that far north. I've seen nests of them working on HVAC equipt. down here in SC. Just pay attention to what your touching, where gloves.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I've seen QUITE a few around in our yard and under the house. Even seen a few brown recluses on the premises.

It was amazing one time, though. We had those decorative cement blocks around a tree to trim a flower bed at one time. Well, they're angled so there's a space between the brick and the one beside it, and under/above each brick. Started pulling up those bricks one day to move them, and found a few black widows. I know I found three, maybe four. But the scariest thing was, one of them was GOODLY the size of a nickel. Well, ok, maybe a dime. But that's pretty daggone large for a black widow in my book!! :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited March 2008
    I'm not surprised you found one that far north, they are all over Michigan as well. But I am surprised you found one this time of year.

I wouldn't freak out about it, a Black Widow rarely bites, they usually retreat. For as many of them as I have seen around here, I have never heard of anyone getting bit.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Shawn I'm glad to hear that nothing bad happened! Spider bites can be nasty.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2008
    Pfft you guys are wimpy....try living in Arizona! Especially when the Tarantulas start to do there "migration". Thats always fun to see. :eek: Buddy of mine lived in their migration route, would end up getting at least a half dozen or so of them in his house a year, but would see closer to a couple of hundred in his yard for about a 2 week period.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2008
    Black widows stay outdoors for the most part.............the brown recluse spiders that run under my bed gives me the heebie jeebies. Nothing like body parts rotting away and falling off............................http://www.highway60.com/mark/brs/casestudy_necrosis.asp
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    A brown recluse spider put my father in the hospital for a week. Nasty effers!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited March 2008
    My unit was on a s & d when my buddy was bitten above his boot by what turned out to be the vietnamese version of the brown recluse. We were hacking around out in the bush for 5 days, on the third day we had to have him airlifted out. He almost lost his leg. He spent a month in R & R and then was sent home. I hate spiders,,,, all of them.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Out here in central CA , anywhere dark and low to the ground is damn near guaranteed to have them( B Widow ). You learn to pick things up in the garage by their sides and not with a hand underneath anything.

Never have bothered me though...kinda hard to be afraid of a spider when you used to handle just about every species of venomous snake. A girlfriend I had a long while back got bitten by a brown recluse , even though it healed well the pictures from the time of the bite were nasty. Her husband ( At the time ) didnt want to take her to the hospital, said it would get better all on its own :eek: One of the reasons she divorced him :) I'd take a widow hit before that sumbitch.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Wow, looks like either of those things biting me would ruin my day. Luckily those don't come up this way. You guys can keep them all.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited March 2008
    Shawn

Keep them on your side of town or I'll send my snakes over.:D

JT
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I worked with a guy who got bitten by a crevice spider, said it took FOREVER to heal.
    He also told me about the effects of a brown recluse bite- the muscle just disolves, and you just have this 'sink hole' in the area that was bitten.
    Friggin creepy.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    Google 'Demon WP', or e-bug.net , It gives instructions on how to use the product.

I swear by Demon WP stuff. I use it just twice a year, and rarely get any bug problems. Nothing else comes close to it's effectiveness.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Seven from Home Depot. Anything is toxic but as long as you dont drink it, you'l be ok. Wood spiders of all kinds come with the territory since you border the park.

Dude, it's spelled Sevin and it's chemical name is Carbaryl.

Sevin is the commercial name for it and Ortho, as well as several other companies, sell it as Sevin.

It's potent stuff. It is a carcinogen too and it will take you down faster than that black widow can so follow precautions well. It will take out pretty much any bug you got including good ones and bad ones. Even just the residue is enough to wipe out an entire hive of honeybees. But if you want to kill nasties and creepy crawlies, that will do the job. There is safe stuff out there for humans but probably not nearly as effective.

At this risk of being accused of being an "encyclopedia" again because for some reason the idea of actually knowing and understanding the world around you is grounds for being mocked by small-brained twits, I know this for a reason. I have a fairly large container of Sevin in my shed because of a wood ant infestation I managed to inflict my parent's yard with from a mulch delivery one year. That was the only stuff that killed those ants good and the guy at Lowes told me all about it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    At this risk of being accused of being an "encyclopedia" again because for some reason the idea of actually knowing and understanding the world around you is grounds for being mocked by small-brained twits,

The Encyclopedia Butt-tanica ?

;)

Brown recluses scare me. The Floor Tech at work has some major plastic surgery on his neck from a recluse bite he got years ago. Bit him close to his juglar vein.
    Sal Palooza