What's your credit score?

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Maybe they did give me some sort of exagerated score, I don't know. Guess I should find a site that will give me my true credit scores. Got any good suggestions? I've only gone by what others have told me, car dealers, banks..etc.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Maybe they did give me some sort of exagerated score, I don't know. Guess I should find a site that will give me my true credit scores. Got any good suggestions? I've only gone by what others have told me, car dealers, banks..etc.

Maybe not exagerated, just a different scoring model. Nothing wrong with it.

The scores that are most often considered to be "true" are only available to consumers at myfico.com.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    We do things a little differently here in Canada, but the bottom line is the same. I can more borrow way more money than I want to. Isin't it funny how the banks want you to buy a house that is a lot more expensive that you are looking at. "Buy a bigger house Mr. xxxxx, you are good for it." RIGHT!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »

Get your real FICO score at MyFico. Google "myfico promo code" and you should be able to save at least 20% of the cost.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    My credit score was "any of your business" last time I checked.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    FICO is a proprietary credit scoring algorithm owned by Fair Isaac. Each credit reporting agency that licenses it will get different results for a consumer's resulting FICO score based on the information they have to feed into the scoring model. Thus the FICO score Fair Isaac might have would differ from the one that Equifax or Experian has. It's an apples to oranges type comparison on credit scores, and that provides differentiation, otherwise there would be no competitive differences between bureaus.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    You can get just your score from Fair Issac or you can get all three at MyFico. I pull all 3 on a yearly basis, and get my credit report free every 4 months (alternating the 3 agencies).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the info, I'll ckeck it out.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    Very informative thread. Thanks.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited February 2008
    Higher than my wife. Just goes to show the whole system is F'd up.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    Trans union /FICO scores between 350 - 850 max

Experian 300 - 850 max

Equifax 300 - 850 max

Red flags from credit reporting agencies.. if you have had a credit account for to long.

"Length of time accounts have been established" was one on mine.

if you have credit. pay if off and close the account within a year or two max. Open another account, close after a year or two. Most of my credit accounts I've had for over 10 yrs. I guess maintaining even a zero balance is a bad thing.. close those accounts my lender told me. Who knew?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2008
    My credit score was "any of your business" last time I checked.

huh...?
  • George Grand
    edited February 2008
    It's my business, not yours.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    My credit score is zero since the wife controls the finances.

second that :D
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2008
    It's my business, not yours.

So why bother posting...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    Check around on that Al or ask Shack.

I've got several CC cards with 0 balances & have had them 15-20 yrs w/0 balances & my credit is flawless!
    danger boy wrote: »

Experian 300 - 850 max

Equifax 300 - 850 max

Red flags from credit reporting agencies.. if you have had a credit account for to long.

if you have credit. pay if off and close the account within a year or two max. Open another account, close after a year or two. Most of my credit accounts I've had for over 10 yrs. I guess maintaining even a zero balance is a bad thing.. close those accounts my lender told me. Who knew?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008

That seems odd. I've had the same cards for over 25 years. Very high score as well.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    I saw that on mine (length of time accounts...) and asked the banker and she said that anything that affects your credit score can show up in the warnings and that those were "good" warnings...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2008
    anyone who pays bills religiously can have scores 800 and above….i called credit card companies to delay due dates a little and those little steps can take you to good credit scores….
    I don’t think high credits mean better interest rates by alot but it sure is nice to know when people recognize you for having a high credit score…
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    devani wrote:
    I don’t think high credits mean better interest rates by alot

If you don't think lenders use risk based pricing...you need to think again.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Having credit account for a long time is *good* for your account, not bad. No matter what credit advice you are reading, they always say to keep your oldest card open. Creditors look at the average age of your accounts, the smaller it is, the lower your credit score.
  • devani
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    If you don't think lenders use risk based pricing...you need to think again.

I said alot....my score is above 800 last time I checked:rolleyes:....it does help in lowering interest rate they charge, but not much.:eek:....
  • jflail2
    edited February 2008
    devani wrote: »
    I said alot....my score is above 800 last time I checked:rolleyes:....it does help in lowering interest rate they charge, but not much.:eek:....

What???

We bought a VW Passat about 4 years ago, and interest rates were incredibly low at that time. We got a good rate, but not a great one b/c we were both fresh out of college and had just started working (with my credit history being shaky prior to going back to school.)

We picked up an Audi about 6 months ago, and the difference in interest rates b/c of our improved credit score was actually quite dramatic.

25 or 50 basis points might not seem like a lot, but over the life of a loan that will make a huge difference.

• devani
    edited February 2008
    popular cars like Honda Civic and others do not get better rates like Chevy, Ford and other cars...when civic(model change) came out, I got interest rate of 8%...If I had chosen Accord, it would be 2-3% interest rate...same person(me), same dealer, same time just different car...
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    that's why its a good idea to get financing outside of the dealership, unless they have a promotional rate that you qualify for.
  • George Grand
    edited February 2008
    jflail2 wrote: »
    So why bother posting...

Because I wanted to. Is there something special about you that says you can respond to the post with your opinion but I can't with mine?
  • jflail2
    edited February 2008
    Because I wanted to. Is there something special about you that says you can respond to the post with your opinion but I can't with mine?

No, not at all. It just seemed that the whole "none of your business", "what a stupid thread" posts were resolved in page 1.

It's cool.

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    danger boy wrote: »

Experian 300 - 850 max

Equifax 300 - 850 max

Not True, the reverse is. Aged or Seasoned trade lines are almost essential to a high credit score. Zero balances are fine as long as you make payments (ie use the card). The number of payments you have made, is almost as important as the length you've maintained an open account. Varying the type of credit used is important too. . . Intallment, revolving, mortgage,
    There are credit forums that will give you the basics, check em out.

This isn't the best, but it's one
    http://www.creditboards.com/mambo/
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2008
    Let's see, foreclosure, wage garnishments, a housing market that went to ****,.... I'll give it about a 4.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    devani wrote:

It would be good if you ACTUALLY KNOW what you are talking about before you post about it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson