What's your credit score?

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    I have been thinking of the concept of credit scores lately....

How come only 3 companies can make or break your credit-worthiness? With all the mistakes that are found in credit reports, how come no one is rating these credit score companies?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Both myself and my wife are in the 930 ballpark.

When I bought my Eclipse a couple of weeks ago the finance guy said I was the third highest score he's seen in the 20+ years he's been in the business.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Seeing as 850 is the max....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Both myself and my wife are in the 930 ballpark.

When I bought my Eclipse a couple of weeks ago the finance guy said I was the third highest score he's seen in the 20+ years he's been in the business.
    You can't have a 930 unless you are combining the #'s.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    I don't think 850 is the max, I thought it can go into the 900's. I could very well be wrong though, all I know is we were very near the top. Being that we had such a great score was what got me 0% financing on my Eclipse.
    If...
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I just took a huge dump, that personal enough for ya?

;)

I was constipated for 4 days...never happens to me. I swear I didn't take a dump for over 110 hrs. And the first dump wasn't that big! You'd think after that long it would be freakin' gigantic! :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2008
    Bragging about your credit score is sorta like bragging about the size of your dingus. In the end, the only people that it REALLY matters to already know the truth.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    And THAT's the ballgame!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited February 2008
    One MILLLLLLLION points...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I don't think 850 is the max, I thought it can go into the 900's. I could very well be wrong though, all I know is we were very near the top. Being that we had such a great score was what got me 0% financing on my Eclipse.

A quick web search could alleviate your doubts... :o
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2008
    Seeing as 850 is the max....

OWNED!!!

No hard feelings Ron... just a classic thread here!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2008
    850 is not the max. I've pulled THOUSANDS of credit reports over the 16 1/2 years and the highest I've ever puled was 852 on Trans Union. Before that it was 822. Our mouths dropped to the floor:eek: when we pulled that report off the printer. I believe the highest Equifax score was 819.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Recipe for a credit score
    But first, just what is a credit score? To calculate a score, Fair Isaac uses 22 pieces of data collected from the three major credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). The lowest possible score is 300, while the highest is 850.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/Yourcreditrating/P136689.asp
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2008
    We get an enhanced Auto score at dealerships. The report shows two scores, one reads like this.....AU 852. Don't really know why they so that, but they do. I have no reason to exaggerate some old man's score.:rolleyes:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »

Again, not everybody uses FICO or BEACON. There are THOUSANDS of scoring models, some of which I know go up to 900. Most car dealerships use different scoring models than FICO and it's an "auto enhanced" model.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    According to my model, my credit score is eleventy billion. Take that!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    phuz wrote: »
    Again, not everybody uses FICO or BEACON. There are THOUSANDS of scoring models, some of which I know go up to 900. Most car dealerships use different scoring models than FICO and it's an "auto enhanced" model.

Different credit scores essentially mean the same thing. The consumer standard is FICO, for which a max score is 850. The VangateScore goes to 990. A 990 isn't any different than the 850, just a different scoring model. Their low is 501.

...but I agree with those who say who cares. My score only matters to me and those I want to borrow from, for whatever reason.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Questions for Shack: WHY is getting a credit check a hit on your credit score?
    The reason I'm asking, IF I'm getting CC offers, without soliciting them, aren't they doing "preliminary" score checks on me? And won't all those prelimary checks lower my score?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    soft inquiries don't hurt, and you shouldn't be getting any hard inquiries without your consent. Those are soft.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    soft inquiries don't hurt, and you shouldn't be getting any hard inquiries without your consent. Those are soft.

correctamundo
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    What they said. HOWEVER, be aware that anyone that you currently have credit with can pull a HARD credit report any time they like cause the small print on the agreement/note you signed says they can. Those can count against your score.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Alright, I get that. But I don't understand just a credit check-without being denied or anything, has an adverse effect on the score?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Hard inquiries without a permissible purpose are actionable offenses. There are many companies that will ignore this until they are called on it.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited February 2008
    My score is 836
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    Questions for Shack: WHY is getting a credit check a hit on your credit score?
    The reason I'm asking, IF I'm getting CC offers, without soliciting them, aren't they doing "preliminary" score checks on me? And won't all those prelimary checks lower my score?

The credit card solicitations that tell you you are pre-approved are ****. They are trying to get you to respond and fill out the app and then they'll often times deny you based on your credit report. They are come ons.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    Good enough to qualify to buy a house over a cell phone call. :p
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    If the offer states "pre-approved" then they must offer you the credit card, loan, etc. unless their is a very material change in circumstances they can prove. If they don't want you they will offer you the infamous $300 limit on the credit card or loan.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    A quick web search could alleviate your doubts... :o

800-850+ Credit Score

A credit score of 800-900 is basically flawless credit. Although I’ve never seen a 900 credit score, scores of 800-850 are a fairly common occurrence. An important thing to note here is that some consumers will have 800 credit scores from the minute their credit profile is established, though without supporting credit history the score will mean very little to banks and lenders.

On the other hand, a credit score of 800-900 with years of solid history indicates that the borrower will be granted the lowest rate on everything from credit cards to auto insurance and mortgages. Scores in this range represent about 13% of the population.
    http://www.thetruthaboutcreditcards.com/credit-score-range/

That's just one example, several other links I clicked also stated that it can go above 850.
    If...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    And there are about triple the number of sites that say 850 is the highest, including almost all banks, mortgage lendors, and CC companies so.... My guess is that you received the exagerated score that car dealers get that goes to 1000 or something like that but that's not your "real" credit rating.

Besides, the article you quoted still caps it at 900. Still wondering where that other 32 is...