writers strike is getting me really po'd

margate21
margate21 Posts: 105
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080115/ap_on_en_tv/hollywood_labor

i understand the writers are trying secure their future earnings (and deservable so) but what about the consumer. i pay for cable that has only about 20 hd channels. so i have about 1000 channels of crap. and now 5 of those hd channels have not had any new programming since approx nov.

now it looks like next season might be affected. :mad:

so the consumer gets screwed..

sorry had to rant. dang still dont feel any better. nothing to watch!
Home Theater
lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
onkyo 805
sunfire tga 5200
toshiba - xa2
panasonic bd30
sony kdl40v2500
svs sb12+
Post edited by margate21 on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    That, and now Directv is trying to charge me MORE then the 9.99 HD access fee for some new HD channels that I LOVE ( Smithsonian channel ) when they had said previously that they were not going to break up the HD service into separate tiers.

I really dont mind the small extra cost, as much as I do the separate charges...have this in this package..not this in this package crap...I just want to pay for HD and get every possible HD channel when I press the remote.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    margate21 wrote: »
    i understand the writers are trying secure their future earnings (and deservable so) but what about the consumer. i pay for cable that has only about 20 hd channels. so i have about 1000 channels of crap.

Granted you could come down on either side of it, but - complain to the studios. Or speak with your wallet, and cancel your service until original programming comes back.

This is exactly what the writers want - to show the studios that are (IMO) trying to screw them over that they are crucial parts of this huge business and deserve to be paid. Now that the standard consumer is being affected I think you'll see it all come to a head quickly, I just hope people are smart enough to know who's right and wrong rather than just blaming the writers because they're the ones not working.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    I say get back to work. Episodes of The Office aren't going to write themselves.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Or act themselves - half of the Office actors actually write for the show too :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    If there wasn't a union there wouldn't be a problem. People should get paid for their work, no doubt, but if there is someone willing to do equal/better work for less -- the smart money is with the cheaper labor as long as it's lawful.

If it reaches a point where there is a shortage of people willing to write the studios would be forced to pay more.

It's simple economics.

Talk to the people who tried being a free-lance writer or actor in Hollywood prior to the strike. Nearly impossible to get work unless you were part of the union network, which is horseshit.

These things work both ways.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    The other issue is the writers union doesn't have a brain in their head when it comes to negotiation. Basically, the writers have a writer negotiating for them and the studio's have a lawyers/buissnessman. From everything I've heard the writers rep is an airheaded moron that refuses to even setup a basic framework for negotiation.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2008
    How much does the typical writer earn yearly anyways?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    If there wasn't a union there wouldn't be a problem. People should get paid for their work, no doubt, but if there is someone willing to do equal/better work for less -- the smart money is with the cheaper labor as long as it's lawful.

If it reaches a point where there is a shortage of people willing to write the studios would be forced to pay more.

It's simple economics.

Talk to the people who tried being a free-lance writer or actor in Hollywood prior to the strike. Nearly impossible to get work unless you were part of the union network, which is horseshit.

These things work both ways.

Smart money is with the cheaper labor eh?
    So your boss comes up to you and says you have to take a 20,000$ a year paycut 'cause they found someone to do your job for less,and your OK with that??Better re-think that bro.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Smart money is with the cheaper labor eh?
    So your boss comes up to you and says you have to take a 20,000$ a year paycut 'cause they found someone to do your job for less,and your OK with that??Better re-think that bro.

I am my boss, and yes, I would be okay with that. Would I like it? Not at all. I have no right to that $20,000 or the job -- bro.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »

It is very variable. That's a lot like asking what does a typical Hollywood actor make. Most writers might make $20-$40K per year, but several are making millions. The whole dispute isn't about how much they are making but more that they want a defined pay scale for "new media" (internet streaming). The studios don't know what the business model is so they can't really commit. If they say "Hey, we will give you $0.05 every download" and then they find out that the advertisers aren't there and they only make $0.05 per download as a studio, they're (the studio's) screwed.
    I am my boss, and yes, I would be okay with that. Would I like it? Not at all. I have no right to that $20,000 or the job -- bro.

But DAVE! I have a right to have my job forever, regardless of what my boss decides!!! You big meany!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »

Not sure, but the issue is over residuals, from what I have heard.
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2008
    Right, I get that. And they should be concerned about that. I was just curious.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    But DAVE! I have a right to have my job forever, regardless of what my boss decides!!! You big meany!

The entitlement mentality is amazing isn't it?
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Everything I've heard (which could very well be spin from the union, who knows) is that they want a PERCENTAGE of internet proceeds that's equal to the percentage they get of broadcast proceeds. Since it's a percentage it doesn't matter if the medium doesn't "work out". The problem is that the studios insist internet streaming is "promotional", despite the fact that they ARE making ad revenues from it.

As for Demi's point about the Unions being part of the problem, I actually completely agree. In a normal world the writers would just all quit, or refuse to work on an individual basis, and the studios could just say "fine, we'll hire people who ARE willing to work under this **** deal", and those writers would either work out or not. If they didn't, the "good" writers would probably get the deal they wanted. Otherwise the original writers weren't really worth the good deal anyway, were they? In this case, we're stuck with the union, and so I do agree with their complaint in theory.

It's stupid to ask if someone would be "OK" with a 20,000 dollar pay cut. I wouldn't, if my boss tried to cut my pay I'd tell him to shove it and leave, and find a job willing to pay me my perceived worth, and they'd try to find someone who would take that lower salary that could do as good a job as I can. It's kinda the way that whole capitalism thing works.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    Bob:

I was just quoting some second hand info. My info is from pre-Christmas who knows what it is now. But from the second hand reports, the writers don't know wth they're doing-that much is very clear.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    Right, and that was my point about cheap labor. If I am working for (example) $20,000 and someone else is willing to do my job for $15,000 and has equal or better performance the employer is better off with the paying the other person 25% less.

If my boss asked me to take the $5,000 pay cut I would ask myself if the job was worth the cut in pay. If not, I would quit. Employees have rights too, but they have no right to a job. That's offered to them by an employer.

So, yeah, I agree the writers are getting screwed, but if the union wasn't there this would all be hashed out a hell of a lot quicker -- not to mention we'd probably have better entertainment on TV because there would be a more competitive marketplace for jobs.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2008
    Basically there's three things going on here:

1)DVD's- The residuals they get were based on a formula using gross sales from when VHS tapes cost like $70 and the production costs were high. Granted, there's a lot more volume of DVD's being sold now, but the formula is way off its original intended compensation to the writers.
    2)The want a percentage of internet streaming profit- including profit realized through advertising associated w/ free streaming.
    3)Something with extending the union's contract to cover reality TV... I haven't read much about this one, but apparently they think they need writers to decide whether to go with spiders or pig guts on Fear Factor.

I don't think either side is really being honest about negotiating...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    I'm honestly surprised that writers even had/needed a union. And really, the idea of them striking has about as much impact on me as hearing that professional golfers are striking over new ball washers.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    Writers are union. Airline pilots are union. Engineers at Boeing and Nasa are union. Nurses are union. Everyone that doesn't supervise others has the right to be in a union.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2008
    No effect here. History channel still on. Other than that, who cares?
    Back to the music.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Writers are union. Airline pilots are union. Engineers at Boeing and Nasa are union. Nurses are union. Everyone that doesn't supervise others has the right to be in a union.

Wow. Airlines, entertainment, and health care. Plus the obvious American autos. Those are some really great results from unionizing. Those industries are all really flourishing and not having any ill effects from union work and politics. Nope, no ill effects at all.
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    American air traffic is among the safest in the world.
    Everyone in the world watches American TV shows and movies.
    The USA has some of the finest health care services available anywhere in the world.
    Buick is a world-class automotive quality manufacturer - surpassing Toyota.
    Boeing is the largest aircraft manufaturer in the world.
    And, the engineers at Nasa have done a fine job with the Space Shuttle, etc.

Yep... the USA should be UNION PROUD!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008

That explaines alot.Unions don't give you the right to that job,more so they fight for a compensation package for the workers.If I sucked at my job,I would get fired in a heartbeat,and the union wouldn't say a peep to the employer.Granted,there are big differences between unions in all.Some are the devil,that I can agree,but it's unfair to label everyone of them bad.Just about every upper level person in management can negotiate a contract,thats all the unions do for the masses who do most the work.Don't like unions,cool with me,don't join one.Don't cry either when you are asked to cough up more out of your paycheck for healthcare and asked to increase your workload and hours worked for the same salary.Sure as a boss,that would be gravy,but to the masses,doesn't exactly look too bright does it ?
    The open market can dictate salary in some markets,but not all,in part due to the industry that applies or greedy company's.I know for a fact,that if not for my union,I'd be makeing 10 bucks an hour with little healthcare involved and no retirement package.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    That explaines alot.Unions don't give you the right to that job,more so they fight for a compensation package for the workers.If I sucked at my job,I would get fired in a heartbeat,and the union wouldn't say a peep to the employer.Granted,there are big differences between unions in all.Some are the devil,that I can agree,but it's unfair to label everyone of them bad.Just about every upper level person in management can negotiate a contract,thats all the unions do for the masses who do most the work.Don't like unions,cool with me,don't join one.Don't cry either when you are asked to cough up more out of your paycheck for healthcare and asked to increase your workload and hours worked for the same salary.Sure as a boss,that would be gravy,but to the masses,doesn't exactly look too bright does it ?
    The open market can dictate salary in some markets,but not all,in part due to the industry that applies or greedy company's.I know for a fact,that if not for my union,I'd be makeing 10 bucks an hour with little healthcare involved and no retirement package.

I said you don't have a right to work for anyone, and you don't.

If you sucked at your job the employer should be the one firing you as it's his/her money that you're costing them. With a union, they hijack the control a private business owner has, which is wrong.

I'll say the same thing I say to everyone else who claims to know how buiness works or thinks they're just out to screw you -- go run one. Seriously, why don't you? After all, it's so easy making money from the sweat of the sheep morons of the world. :rolleyes:

Your comments here are totally ignorant. I have been on both ends of it, and never in my life have I supported such Communist horseshit.
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    With a union, they hijack the control a private business owner has, which is wrong.

This isn't true. The owner of the company has all the same rights as any other American employer obeying all the labor laws of the United States including the Federal Labor Act. Certainly, if the owner of the company employs Americans, ALL applicable labor laws apply. If you don't like it, elect some representatives that will repeal the right of Americans to join a labor union. If you can't get that accomplished, you really don't have a basis for a complaint as the voice of the American people has been solidified in established law.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    This isn't true. The owner of the company has all the same rights as any other American employer obeying all the labor laws of the United States including the Federal Labor Act. Certainly, if the owner of the company employs Americans, ALL applicable labor laws apply. If you don't like it, elect some representatives that will repeal the right of Americans to join a labor union. If you can't get that accomplished, you really don't have a basis for a complaint.

Yes, it is true. There's no need for a union if it wasn't true. Negotiating a wage means that if they don't agree with the business owner's offers through a mediator or directly, they go on strike -- which bends the business owner over and if he doesn't act causes his business to fold. Given how much you have proven not to understand about economics, I am not surprised you don't understand
    that most businesses can't afford to halt production for weeks or months at a time.

Unions are purely anti-business organizations that promote mediocrity and encourage overseas expansion.
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    Demiurge, if you really look at the big picture, you will understand the need for unions.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    Demiurge, if you really look at the big picture, you will understand the need for unions.

It's my job to look at the big picture. It's you who is stuck in your little corner of the universe thinking you're owed something for nothing.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    The guy who thinks the American auto industry is in great shape and the finest in the world wants you to see the big picture, Demi. I'd listen.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    Let them all go and hire new ones. If you're not happy with your job grow up and go find another one.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.