Yep, it's a hard thing to do....

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
The family dog, Logger, is going to have to be put to sleep tomorrow. He is a 10 year old Golden Retriever.

Late last week he had a couple episodes of throwing up and he wouldn't eat his food or move around much at all, which is not like him. He was drinking a ton of water. The next day he seemed back to his normal self. On Christmas when the family was over he was back to throwing up and pretty much not moving. He laid next to his water bowl nearly the entire day. We thought he had maybe been eating the rock salt on the ground outside.

We took him to the vet yesterday and they ruled that out after his blood work came back. We took him to the animal hospital today and they gave him an ultrasound. His liver had something wrong with it and they were unable to do a biopsy. They ran some other test this afternoon and it was determined he has cancer all over, posibly even in his heart. They gave him two months, but since they can't communicate comfort to us we have no idea how bad of shape he is in and decided to have him put to sleep.

We've had him since I was 17, and I pretty much saw him nearly every day since my dad would bring him to work with him. My dad is a very structured man, so this is really hard on him and it hit me really hard as well. Simply one of the best dogs a family could ask for. He seemed to know when you weren't feeling well. Who knows if that's just something us humans conjure up, but I do believe they have the ability to sense when you're feeling bad.

I know a lot of you have pups and have gone through this. For those who don't this is so much harder than you know. I'm not looking for prayers or anything, it's just an animal, but I wanted to get it off my chest because this animal meant a heck of a lot to me and I am going to miss him very much. :(
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Very sad to hear that, Demi. You never really know just how much the mean to you and how much they do for you until you're faced with losing them.

:(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Too true, it was different when I was a little kid and lost a pet. So much more difficult now for some reason. Probably because they're the most innocent creatures you know and they're your best friend.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Too true, it was different when I was a little kid and lost a pet. So much more difficult now for some reason. Probably because they're the most innocent creatures you know and they're your best friend.
    Indeed, they're totally innocent and really are your best friend.

No matter how many times I decided to neglect her and go off with my friends instead of walking her, she was still right there in the backyard wagging her tale when I got home. And no matter how many times I went to the backyard all dejected and depressed like, I ALWAYS left the backyard feeling MUCH better, albeit with dog hair and a strange scent clinging to me. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    I am sorry for your loss. You have my sincerest condolences.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to hear your sad news. I can't imagine losing a dog. We only have a cat and I know I'll be a total mess when he passes.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    I feel for you BIGTIME...this last october I had to put my best friend down after 14 years of him ( Bandit ) being the best dog I had ever had ...he was fearless...a great hunting dog ( Pure yellow lab ) ...just the best. He was a member of the family...stayed inside the house 23 hours of the day...only out for bathroom and walking.

Thank God my parents are still alive, but to this day in my 43 years of life on this earth it was the hardest thing for me to make that call to the vet ...he was in too much pain now and he told me in not so many words that he wanted relief. I didnt want to stress him out in the least so I asked the vet to come to the house to put him to sleep.

We put the other 3 dogs in the master bedroom and let the vet come into the living room .....I held his head in my lap while the vet injected him...it was the saddest thing I have ever had to go through yet in this life...he was gone in a matter of seconds.

Just know that he wont be in pain anymore....it's the hardest thing to do but for the best.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to hear shadow, especially a hunting buddy like that. :( I never would imagined it being this hard either until going through it.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    That is so sad. I am very sorry and my prayers are with you.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    My heart goes out to and your family.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Demi, I feel your pain. A dog...even though it's "just" an animal, is part of the family. At least that's how it is where I come from.

...and yes, they can tell when you are feeling down. Don't know how, but they can. That's been proven to me time and again.

Just be sure to celebrate his life, remember all the laughs and good times and not dwell on the immediate. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited December 2007
    I feel your pain man, my family had to put down our Westie after 17 years, and it was brutal...She was in rough shape, not able to climb the stairs, sleeping all the time, and hacking up a lung...What was worse was the lab we have looked for her for the next week, sleeping maybe two hours a night, then barking until we let her out to "continue the search"....
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    Whatever small comfort it may be, bear in mind you're making the correct decision. My thoughts are with you.

Ben
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    Always difficult,my condolences.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    I'm very sorry Demi. I have a golden as well who is starting to leave the puppy phase. I try not to think about his age but I know I can't escape reality. He's my best friend and I can't imagine life without him.

Try to keep your mind on the happy times.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    My condolences.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    Let him go and know you did the right thing. Thats the best thing we can do as humans. So sorry to hear.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    Sorry for your loss, your friend, and part of your family. Sad indeed, my condolences.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    Our condolences. This is the hardest part of owning a dog.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to hear Demi. It was rough when we had to put down my dog years ago.
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to here about your dog. Very sad news. Our family had to put down our dog, Buddy, not very long ago and it was a very hard thing to do. I wish you and your family the best. In time you will feel better for making the best decision for your good friend, I'm sure he had a great life.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2007
    Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. When we put our american bull down I cried like a kid.
    It's the kind thing to do but man it's so hard.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    I'm really sorry to hear about this Demi. Pets become part of the family and their loss is inevitable and heart breaking. My thoughts are with you and Logger.

Here is a picture of our Golden with my daughter Shannon!

0192.jpg
    Carl

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I've been there man, my condolences. Just know that he's in a better place with no pain.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the well wishes guys, and I am sorry for those of you who have had to go through this, especially more than once. It is comforting to know he won't be hurting anymore. Today is still going to be rough, though. I think mostly for my old man more than anyone.

Beautiful pup you have there, Carl. They are great dogs. :)
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited December 2007
    I had to put down our Golden, Gandolf, a few years ago because of cancer. He lived a great life and was able to run around all day because the town had no leash law. He had three familys that he would visit every day. In the summer he would visit the ice cream stand and eat free ice cream from every one.

You will miss your golden. Sorry.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2007
    The loss of a family pet is a difficult task...Don't be ashamed to grieve your loss with your family.

We have our Sadies urn next to a family picture on the mantel.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2007
    So sorry to hear this Demi,

I have been there myself more times then I would care to remember. My condolences.

A DOG'S PRAYER

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements, and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

And one from me,

God, Bless the Animals...and especially the souls of those pets that came into our lives for a while, to brighten our time here on planet earth and to show us how to truly love, not only them, but each other. Please pass on to these sweet friends, who now know freedoms that we cannot even imagine, how much we appreciated our time with them and how much we miss them still. Thank you God, for caring for the souls of all animals,
    that have ever lived on our planet.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2007
    sorry about your dog.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    mourn the loss, but dont feel guilt. its gotta be done.

I know the suck all too well man
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites